* How many pandoc users are there?
@ 2015-03-28  4:00 John MacFarlane
       [not found] ` <20150328040037.GA38057-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-03-28  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I wondered.  This mailing list has about 1000 members.

Of course, there are several ways to install pandoc:  through
cabal, through a binary package, or though a package manager.

github's API allows us to get download stats
(curl -i https://api.github.com/repos/jgm/pandoc/releases).
For the last two versions:

pandoc 1.13.2
DEB      4563
OSX     12293
Windows 22537

pandoc 1.13.1
OSX     21537
Windows 30737

Hackage lists 58632 total downloads, though that is for all
versions, and (I think) only since Hackage started providing
these stats.

It's hard to know about the number of installs via package
managers, but debian popcon says 2721.  (Of course, many debian
users don't select the option to allow popcon to report usage
statistics.)

I don't know how to amalgamate all of this data, but it suggests
to me that the number of pandoc users is somewhere between
50,000 and 100,000.

If anyone has better data, or better ways of estimating from
this data, I'd be interested.

John

* Re: How many pandoc users are there?
       [not found] ` <20150328040037.GA38057-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-28  6:53   ` Francesco Ariis
From: Francesco Ariis @ 2015-03-28  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 09:00:37PM -0700, John MacFarlane wrote:
> I don't know how to amalgamate all of this data, but it suggests
> to me that the number of pandoc users is somewhere between
> 50,000 and 100,000.
>
> If anyone has better data, or better ways of estimating from
> this data, I'd be interested.

I expect most of Linux users to get pandoc from their repositories. A few
considerations:

    - ubuntu popcon survey count for pandoc is ~= 4500 [1];

    - ubuntu used a factor of 4 to 5.3 to estimate its userbase from popcon
      surveys [2];

    - using a conservative 4 as a factor and putting together Debian and
      Ubuntu stats, we can estimate 36.000 pandoc users on 'debuntu'.

    - this calculation doesn't take into consideration other popular (or
      less popular) GNU/Linux distributions (Fedora, Arch, etc.).
      I have no hard numbers on this but multiplying ubuntu/debian * 2
      will do for now (72k Linux users).

This leads to
    - Linux user: 72k
    - windows:    53k