* Altering reference.docx and/or specifying reference.docx
@ 2015-05-27  9:15 sean.c.cox-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found] ` <d02e0eac-19b5-4a78-89b7-f80338a9eb00-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: sean.c.cox-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-05-27  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all,

I am converting .txt files with Pandoc to .docx files and I would like a
specific style for the outcome (Times New Roman, 12 point font, paragraph
indentation/spacing set to 0, etc.). I'm new to the command line, but I've
had a success navigating the nuances of Pandoc and it's saved me a great
deal of time/effort in my writing and editing. Basically, the output style
is a minor but nagging challenge for me. Any help you can offer will be
greatly appreciated.

I've attempted three solutions so far, but the outcome is the same: when I
convert to .docx, none of the style changes take hold.

I'm working on a Mac with Pandoc version 1.13.2. I've tried editing the
reference.docx file in my /.pandoc directory, creating a new reference.docx
with the settings I need in the /.pandoc directory, and specifying a
reference.docx file for the conversion in another directory. None of these
have worked.

So, I come to you. Can someone provide clear instructions on any of the
following:
1) How to change the reference.docx file in the /.pandoc directory.
2) How to overwrite the existing reference.docx in the /.pandoc directory
with a new, custom-styled file.
3) How to specify that Pandoc use a difference reference file when
converting .txt to .docx.

Cheers,
-s

* Re: Altering reference.docx and/or specifying reference.docx
       [not found] ` <d02e0eac-19b5-4a78-89b7-f80338a9eb00-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-27 10:37   ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
       [not found]     ` <5e5e77b6-ea1b-4f66-8689-a410fe47053e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-05-27 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So the command line you tried included

pandoc --reference-docx=/full/path/to/another/directory/reference-docx ...

?

In order to create a modified reference.docx you should use an “MS Office
Word 2007” (or “2010” or “2013”) installation on Windows.

The only second-best solution would be to use a very recent version of
LibreOffice installation (on any platform) and save the document as DOCX.
This one however may not work as reliably. And if there are problems,
you’ll have one more package to debug and hundreds of more corners to look
at for the cause of the failure…

​

@ 2015-05-27 11:14       ` sean.c.cox-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]         ` <368394a6-75fd-4607-8291-b656ec56830e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: sean.c.cox-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-05-27 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That is the command line I used. I didn't know I needed a specific version
of Word, so that might be the problem (I'm using 2011).

I'm also not sure I'm technical enough to sort it out via another means.
So, for now, I suppose I'll stick to cleaning up the styles in the actual
word document.

Thanks for your perspective though. I appreciate you looking into this.

Cheers,
-s

@ 2015-05-27 12:30           ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-05-27 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don’t know if you really need one of the versions I listed. I just wanted
to make sure it’s a recent version that *really* writes out .docx (I’ve
seen people confusing .doc and .docx in the past…)

Am Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2015 13:14:54 UTC+2 schrieb sean….-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org:

That is the command line I used. I didn't know I needed a specific version
> of Word, so that might be the problem (I'm using 2011).
>
> I'm also not sure I'm technical enough to sort it out via another means.
> So, for now, I suppose I'll stick to cleaning up the styles in the actual
> word document.
>
> Thanks for your perspective though. I appreciate you looking into this.
>

> Cheers,
> -s
>

> On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 1:37:12 PM UTC+3, kurt.p...-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org
> wrote:
>>
>> So the command line you tried included
>>
>> pandoc --reference-docx=/full/path/to/another/directory/reference-docx ...
>>
>> ?
>>
>> In order to create a modified reference.docx you should use an “MS
>> Office Word 2007” (or “2010” or “2013”) installation on Windows.
>>
>> The only second-best solution would be to use a very recent version of
>> LibreOffice installation (on any platform) and save the document as DOCX.
>> This one however may not work as reliably. And if there are problems,
>> you’ll have one more package to debug and hundreds of more corners to look
>> at for the cause of the failure…
>>

>> Am Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2015 11:15:17 UTC+2 schrieb sean….-Re5JQEeQqe8@public.gmane.orgm:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am converting .txt files with Pandoc to .docx files and I would like a
>>> specific style for the outcome (Times New Roman, 12 point font, paragraph
>>> indentation/spacing set to 0, etc.). I'm new to the command line, but I've
>>> had a success navigating the nuances of Pandoc and it's saved me a great
>>> deal of time/effort in my writing and editing. Basically, the output style
>>> is a minor but nagging challenge for me. Any help you can offer will be
>>> greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> I've attempted three solutions so far, but the outcome is the same: when
>>> I convert to .docx, none of the style changes take hold.
>>>
>>> I'm working on a Mac with Pandoc version 1.13.2. I've tried editing the
>>> reference.docx file in my /.pandoc directory, creating a new reference.docx
>>> with the settings I need in the /.pandoc directory, and specifying a
>>> reference.docx file for the conversion in another directory. None of these
>>> have worked.
>>>
>>> So, I come to you. Can someone provide clear instructions on any of the
>>> following:
>>> 1) How to change the reference.docx file in the /.pandoc directory.
>>> 2) How to overwrite the existing reference.docx in the /.pandoc
>>> directory with a new, custom-styled file.
>>> 3) How to specify that Pandoc use a difference reference file when
>>> converting .txt to .docx.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> -s
>>>
>> ​
>>
> ​

​
​

@ 2015-05-27 12:33           ` Jesse Rosenthal
       [not found]             ` <m1617eryhi.fsf-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2015-05-27 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean.c.cox-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just to check -- did you try editing the styles on the docx that pandoc created?

So, first run `pandoc in.md -o out.docx`.

Then change the styles in out.docx to your liking. Then run

`pandoc in.md --reference-docx=out.docx -o out2.docx`

This way you can be sure you're actually editing the styles that pandoc
uses (which don't always have the same names as the ones you might use
in a different document).

@ 2015-05-27 12:44               ` Sean Cox
       [not found]                 ` <CAL71xo8HUMsgLf-FNQ=V8o7UD7gUaTecM-7AT5Xs67wQ0d9rOw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sean Cox @ 2015-05-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Rosenthal; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just tested that again, but unfortunately, I'm getting the same result:
an un-stylish word document.

@ 2015-05-27 20:55                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20150527205541.GE15825-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Step by step.

% pandoc --print-default-data-file=reference.docx > myref.docx
% open myref.docx

Using Word, go Format->Style.  Normal should be selected.
Click Modify...  Where it says Formatting, select the font
and size you want.  Click OK.  Click Apply.  File->Save.  Now exit Word.

% pandoc --reference-docx=myref.docx text.md -o text.docx

This worked for me, though it didn't affect the styles for
headings, etc.  For that you'd need to modify more styles.
See the pandoc User's GUide for a list of styles that can
be modified.

@ 2015-06-03 14:07                       ` Sean Cox
From: Sean Cox @ 2015-06-03 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's great! It wasn't the exact answer, but it led me to the right one.
Earlier, I had created a reference.docx in % pandoc and directed everything
to be converted in that style, so I followed the other steps you suggest
and was able to set the formatting the way I want it.

Cheers,
-s

@ 2015-06-12  1:04   ` Mendel kranz
       [not found]     ` <2d3a5634-b43e-49f9-97b2-54ec5d26cb9e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mendel kranz @ 2015-06-12  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm having a similar problem, I just updated to 1.14.
Previously the reference.docx worked perfectly, any styles I changed in
that docx were immediately reflected in any new docx I made. But now many
styles are rendering: block quotes, footnotes, etc.
has something changed in 1.14 in the way docx formatting is handled?
I tried '% pandoc --print-default-data-file=reference.docx' but got an
error saying 'could not find data file reference.docx' - although I haven't
moved it at all and it's still located in ~/.pandoc/templates

Any help is greatly appreciated!

@ 2015-06-12  2:41       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20150612024104.GC7545-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-06-12  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

One thing that changed is that a reference.docx in your
~/.pandoc directory won't override the default.  (I plan
to fix this in a future release.)  Have you tried directly
specifying the path to the reference.docx, using the
--reference-docx option?

There were also some changes to the styles, but they are
fairly minor.  See changelog under Docx writer.  My guess
is that if you specify the reference.docx with the
command-line option, things will work the way you expect.

+++ Mendel kranz [Jun 11 15 18:04 ]:

@ 2015-06-12 16:15           ` Mendel kranz
       [not found]             ` <9850de58-eebf-4822-8add-465024ad96d5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mendel kranz @ 2015-06-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the quick response!

I used  --reference-docx=/Users/USER/.pandoc/templates/reference.docx but to no avail.
It did render some style like the headers, justified text, font, etc. but block quotes come out just as regular text and footnotes aren't in superscript.
Is there anything else I can try?

@ 2015-06-12 18:00               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20150612180012.GB11432-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-06-12 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What style names are you using to modify footnote references
and block quotes in your reference.docx?  You need to use
the same names pandoc uses. (See README for a list.)

For block quotes this is "Block Text."

For footnotes it is "Footnote Text" and "Footnote
Reference."

+++ Mendel kranz [Jun 12 15 09:15 ]:

@ 2015-06-12 22:47                   ` Mendel kranz
       [not found]                     ` <0b5915d4-4d12-4176-9339-63035ba7fe2e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mendel kranz @ 2015-06-12 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That worked, thank you!
Why did the names change? Before I updated to 1.14 that same reference docx
was working fine..

@ 2015-06-12 23:32                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-06-12 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I actually didn't realize that Block Quote had changed to Block Text,
or I'd have documented that in the changelog.

There was quite a bit of work by others on getting the style names to
align better with standard style names in Word, and on
making the styles work better with internationalized
versions of Word.  So that's why.

+++ Mendel kranz [Jun 12 15 15:47 ]: