* Not getting valid OPML output
@ 2015-06-25  2:40 jerry-Nw/AaLArGDnQT0dZR+AlfA
       [not found] ` <1bcaa30d-ff30-47ea-9061-5337d4859884-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jerry-Nw/AaLArGDnQT0dZR+AlfA @ 2015-06-25  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am trying to do a word outline to OPML conversion using pandoc on a
Windows 8.1 box. The outline file is a docx (attached). Any of the
following produce reasonable output:
>pandoc TestOutline.docx -s - o test.xml
>pandoc TestOutline.docx -s - o test.txt (attached)
>pandoc TestOutline.docx -s - o test.html (attached)

But...
>pandoc TestOutline.docx -s - o test.opml produces an OPML 2.0 file with
tags but no data. test.opml is also attached.

Any thoughts on why this would be the case?

[-- Attachment #2: TestOutline.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 12977 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: test.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 1055 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: test.opml --]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<opml version="2.0">
  <head>
    <title></title>
    <dateModified></dateModified>
    <ownerName></ownerName>
  </head>

</opml>

[-- Attachment #5: test.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 389 bytes --]

I.  This is Level I
    ===============

    A.  This is Subpoint A
        ------------------

    B.  This is Subpoint B
        ------------------

II. This is Level II
    ================

    A.  This is level II, subpoint A
        ----------------------------

    B.  This is level II, subpoint B
        ----------------------------

III. This is Level III
    =================

* Re: Not getting valid OPML output
       [not found] ` <1bcaa30d-ff30-47ea-9061-5337d4859884-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-26 22:54   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150626225433.GA10683-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-06-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The opml writer takes its outline levels from the heading
hierarchy.  So, for example:

```
# This is level 1

## This is subpoint A

## This is subpoint B

# This is level 2

etc.
```

Your Word file seems to have an ordered list at the outer
level, with headings inside the list items.

Remove the outer list and you should be fine.

@ 2015-08-04  2:22       ` jerry-Nw/AaLArGDnQT0dZR+AlfA
       [not found]         ` <c16d6192-ff72-4841-93f9-e1dd36c67e4d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jerry-Nw/AaLArGDnQT0dZR+AlfA @ 2015-08-04  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, John. Using the header levels does, indeed, work. Followup
question... since most outlines one receives in school are formatted using
the multilevel list (so one automatically gets "I., A, 1, i' style
numbering, would it be possible to build a converter that accepts a
multilevel list as input?

@ 2015-08-06 19:51           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-08-06 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ jerry-Nw/AaLArGDnQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org [Aug 03 15 19:22 ]:
>   Thanks, John. Using the header levels does, indeed, work. Followup
>   question... since most outlines one receives in school are formatted
>   using the multilevel list (so one automatically gets "I., A, 1, i'
>   style numbering, would it be possible to build a converter that accepts
>   a multilevel list as input?

Best bet is to create a filter that converts lists into a
hierarchical structure with headings.

See http://pandoc.org/scripting.html to get started.
If you run into trouble, ask here; there are people on this
list who are good at writing filters and may be able to help.