* Multiple LaTeX files input in a template
@ 2015-07-16 21:27 Christopher
       [not found] ` <d9620980-3826-44fa-88a3-f6fa071f06b2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher @ 2015-07-16 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is it possible to use the `input` command in a template file to add custom
definitions from another LaTeX file ?

Here is my main template file:
```
\documentclass[10pt, a4paper]{report}

\input{path/my-other-file}

\begin{document}
$body$
\end{document}
```

The input file looks like this :
```
$if(title)$
\def\theTitle{$title$}
$else$
\def\theTitle{The title}
$endif$
```

When running, I have the following error :
```
! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.
```

Are input files supported in templates ?

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Christopher

* Re: Multiple LaTeX files input in a template
       [not found] ` <d9620980-3826-44fa-88a3-f6fa071f06b2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-16 22:10   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150716221040.GA29452-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-16 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This should be possible.  Whatever is in your template will
just be passed through to the LaTeX output.

To get a better idea of what is happening, try using

pandoc -t latex -s --template /path/to/your/template
     -o output.tex input.md

to create a latex file, output.tex, which you can inspect.
Make sure it contains the `\input` line.
Then run pdflatex on it directly and see what happens.

+++ Christopher [Jul 16 15 14:27 ]:

@ 2015-07-17  6:44       ` Christopher
       [not found]         ` <f068e7b2-35af-4ed9-a6ad-dc7212713375-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher @ 2015-07-17  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply.

As you suggest, I check the generated tex file before converting it to pdf:

\documentclass[10pt, a4paper]{report}

\input{path-to/my-included-tex-file}

\begin{document}

Hello World

\end{document}

The error log is more verbose using pdflatex. This is the error:

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

l.6 $
     if(title)$
?

The included file contains if statements which have not been evaluated...
How can I solve this issue and include other tex files in a template ?
Included files also contains pandoc variables checks, etc.

Thanks in advance for you help.

@ 2015-07-17  7:19           ` Christopher
From: Christopher @ 2015-07-17  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ok, I works when using the `-H` argument to include other files which must
be processed with pandoc.
Any other options ? Maybe there is a specific include command to add in the
LaTeX template file ?

@ 2015-07-17 19:52           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20150717195240.GF9326-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oh, I see.  The included file cannot contain template
instructions, no.  The templating system is fairly simple.

+++ Christopher [Jul 16 15 23:44 ]:

@ 2015-07-17 19:55               ` Christopher
       [not found]                 ` <769f7c20-72e6-45b8-9d12-8f9fd06bc0bb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher @ 2015-07-17 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Okay thanks for our time.

@ 2015-07-18 15:36                   ` Christopher
       [not found]                     ` <90077c3f-5afe-49df-be51-80024d7c7492-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher @ 2015-07-18 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Would it be possible to add a command, similar to "--include-in-header", to
include files in the main template file before evaluating it ? Maybe a
plugin is available to do that ?

@ 2015-07-26 12:45                       ` Christopher
From: Christopher @ 2015-07-26 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: christopher.metrailler-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

Any help please ?

@ 2015-07-26 14:02                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20150726140206.GA22100-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-26 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't want to extend the present, simple templating
language in ad hoc ways.

I have long thought that it would be nice to use some kind
of standard templating system instead of pandoc's home-grown
system.  hastache (Haskell implementation of mustache
templates) looks like it has almost everything we'd need
(including the ability to have "included templates" or partials).
The one thing I've found missing is that there's nothing
corresponding to the "sep" functionality we have:

    $for(author)$$author$$sep$, $endfor$

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6114435/in-mustache-templating-is-there-an-elegant-way-of-expressing-a-comma-seperated-l

But maybe there's some clever way this could be handled.

+++ Christopher [Jul 18 15 08:36 ]:

@ 2015-08-08 20:26                           ` Christopher
From: Christopher @ 2015-08-08 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss