* convincing the markdown reader/writer to preserve yaml string literal formatting
@ 2015-08-25 14:50 Matt Porter
       [not found] ` <26c50d7f-d78c-4b40-b76a-09ebf6026173-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Porter @ 2015-08-25 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm experimenting with using pandoc to generate customized documentation
based on a yaml data stream and a custom template.

I have the following inputs:

test.yaml
------------

---
example: |
  foo@bar {
          baz = <11>;
  };

test.template
-----------------

$if(example)$
# Example
$endif$
$for(example)$
```
$example$
```
$endfor$

command line
-------------------

$ pandoc test.yaml --from markdown+yaml_metadata_block --template
test.template -s -o test.md

test.md
----------

# Example
```
foo@bar { baz = \<11\>; };
```

I see that the markdown support drops the newlines and whitespace in my
yaml string. It also escapes
other characters since it doesn't realize this is something I want
preserved.

Is there some way to convince pandoc's markdown reader/writer to yield
output like the following?

```
  foo@bar {
          baz = <11>;
  };
```

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: convincing the markdown reader/writer to preserve yaml string literal formatting
       [not found] ` <26c50d7f-d78c-4b40-b76a-09ebf6026173-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-08-25 17:54   ` nkalvi
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: nkalvi @ 2015-08-25 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi M att,

Based on a similar issue
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pandoc-discuss/xuqEmhWgf9A/VPKIePhUvscJ>,
could you try something like

---

example: |

  |  foo@bar {

  |          baz = <11>;

  |  };

Angel brackets are still escaped in the output, but that may not be a
problem.

@ 2015-08-25 18:08   ` nkalvi
From: nkalvi @ 2015-08-25 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Matt,

Based on a similar issue
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pandoc-discuss/xuqEmhWgf9A/VPKIePhUvscJ>,
could you please try this:

---
example: |
  |  foo@bar {
  |          baz = <11>;
  |  };

Angel brackets are still escaped, but that may not be a problem.

@ 2015-08-25 18:17   ` nkalvi
From: nkalvi @ 2015-08-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Or even:

---
example: |
  ```
  foo@bar {
      baz = <11>;
  };
  ```

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:50:47 AM UTC-4, Matt Porter wrote:

> I'm experimenting with using pandoc to generate customized documentation
> based on a yaml data stream and a custom template.
>
> I have the following inputs:
>
> test.yaml
> ------------
>
> ---
> example: |
>   foo@bar {
>           baz = <11>;
>   };
>

> test.template
> -----------------
>
> $if(example)$
> # Example
> $endif$
> $for(example)$
> ```
> $example$
> ```
> $endfor$
>

> command line
> -------------------
>
> $ pandoc test.yaml --from markdown+yaml_metadata_block --template
> test.template -s -o test.md
>

> test.md
> ----------
>
> # Example
> ```
> foo@bar { baz = \<11\>; };
> ```
>

> I see that the markdown support drops the newlines and whitespace in my
> yaml string. It also escapes
> other characters since it doesn't realize this is something I want
> preserved.
>
> Is there some way to convince pandoc's markdown reader/writer to yield
> output like the following?
>
> ```
>   foo@bar {
>           baz = <11>;
>   };
> ```
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

* Re: convincing the markdown reader/writer to preserve yaml string literal formatting
       [not found] ` <26c50d7f-d78c-4b40-b76a-09ebf6026173-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-08-25 20:13   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-08-25 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Unfortunately pandoc has no good way of marking up a
metadata field to say "don't parse me as Markdown,
I'm just a literal string!"  There is an idea for doing
this developed in the comments on this issue:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2139

You might want to comment there (and/or here).

In the mean time you can always pass in literal content
using --variable.

John

+++ Matt Porter [Aug 25 15 07:50 ]: