* New reader for a subset of Doxygen markup
@ 2015-08-27 21:59 Alex Reicher
       [not found] ` <14de3f5d-cca6-46ce-8291-7d92859a4c14-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Reicher @ 2015-08-27 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear Mr. MacFarlane,

At work I maintain an API in pure C (not C++) and use Doxygen markup for
in-line documentation. I use Doxygen LaTeX output to generate a PDF that
customers receive as reference manual, but the result leaves much to be
desired. The auto-generated reference manual is cluttered and poorly
organized. This is true of other Doxygen output formats (HTML, DocBook,
native Doxygen XML). They all represent the same document structure, that I
dislike.

I've been thinking to add a pandoc reader that does exactly what I need,
namely parsing a subset of Doxygen markup that we use and convert it to a
Pandoc that represents a well-organized, C-oriented reference manual. Then
I can use pandoc's PDF output option.

What would be your reaction? One of:

1. "pandoc is open-source, so please fork it as you like, as long you abide
by the GPL. But what you describe is of a too narrow interest, so I won't
merge it into mainline."
2. "That's the wrong way to approach your problem. You should <insert sage
advice>."
3. "That sounds interesting. If I like your patch, I will merge it into
mainline."
4. <other>

Thanks!

* Re: New reader for a subset of Doxygen markup
       [not found] ` <14de3f5d-cca6-46ce-8291-7d92859a4c14-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-08-28  9:46   ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2015-08-28  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello Alex,

I'm not Mr. MacFarlane, but I don't quite understand the problem you're
having, so it might help if you explain it in more detail, or give an
example. Are you wnating to reorganize sections, leave certain sections
out, or something else? Also, perhaps include why this might be useful
enough to others to be considered for mergeing.

Note that altering document structure can be done quite easily with a
pandoc filter.

Hope this helps,
mark

@ 2015-08-28 17:27   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-08-28 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't know much about Doxygen.  But, from what I know now,
this sounds like a nice idea.  I'd certainly consider merging it.
But it might make more sense to develop it as a separate
tool, using the pandoc library.  I'm not sure which option
is better, but most of the work would be the same in either
case and you could easily switch from one to the other.

++ Alex Reicher [Aug 27 15 14:59 ]: