* Translating latex symbols
@ 2015-08-28 10:58 Rupert Gatti
       [not found] ` <0a88e1f8-1b26-4975-89a9-f36d44dd2542-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Rupert Gatti @ 2015-08-28 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, I was trying to translate LaTeX to HTML and came across a few issues
that don't seem to be documented elsewhere. They involve fundamental LaTeX
commands, and I think others might have come across these problems.

1. Macros (\def) seem to be ignored by pandoc. As a consequence, pandoc
cannot translate latex correctly. Is it possible to inline macros (perhaps
during a preprocessing stage), and then give pandoc a macro-free file?

2. Pandoc does not seem to handle LaTeX symbols like \dag, but these occur
quite widely for labelling and footnotes. Is there a work-around for this?

3. I cannot get equation labels to work. (The document I'm translating
contains lots of formulas.) In particular, pandoc doesn't seem to recognise
the \eqno command. Is there a work-around for this perhaps?

Thanks.

* Re: Translating latex symbols
       [not found] ` <0a88e1f8-1b26-4975-89a9-f36d44dd2542-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-08-28 17:33   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-08-28 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Rupert Gatti [Aug 28 15 03:58 ]:
>   Hi, I was trying to translate LaTeX to HTML and came across a few
>   issues that don't seem to be documented elsewhere. They involve
>   fundamental LaTeX commands, and I think others might have come across
>   these problems.
>   1. Macros (\def) seem to be ignored by pandoc. As a consequence, pandoc
>   cannot translate latex correctly. Is it possible to inline macros
>   (perhaps during a preprocessing stage), and then give pandoc a
>   macro-free file?

Pandoc supports LaTeX-style macros (\newcommand), not TeX
macros (\def).  We can try to improve support for TeX
primitives, but getting everything is equivalent to
reimplementing TeX.

>   2. Pandoc does not seem to handle LaTeX symbols like \dag, but these
>   occur quite widely for labelling and footnotes. Is there a work-around
>   for this?

I hadn't realized that `\dag` worked outside of math mode.
It can certainly be added.  Just put up an issue on the
github tracker.  (Similarly for other symbols, as long as
they're not defined in special packages.)

>   3. I cannot get equation labels to work. (The document I'm translating
>   contains lots of formulas.) In particular, pandoc doesn't seem to
>   recognise the \eqno command. Is there a work-around for this perhaps?
>   Thanks.

That's right.  The pandoc document model doesn't (yet) have
a good way of handling labels and cross-references.