* wiki latex to flat wiki
@ 2015-09-01 18:33 Luis Rivera
       [not found] ` <0173ea7c-e6f0-4ce6-8bca-9c6e307f6d01-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Rivera @ 2015-09-01 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello!

I am using LaTeX with the wiki.sty package. I'd like to know how to prevent
Pandoc from converting the wiki markup ''italics'' or '''boldface''' into
”utf8” ”’quotes”’ when converting my latex file to wiki markup, for further
processing.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: wiki latex to flat wiki
       [not found] ` <0173ea7c-e6f0-4ce6-8bca-9c6e307f6d01-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-01 18:45   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2015-09-01 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

--As of September 1, 2015 11:33:36 AM -0700, Luis Rivera is alleged to have
said:

> I am using LaTeX with the wiki.sty package. I'd like to know how to
> prevent Pandoc from converting the wiki markup ''italics'' or
> '''boldface''' into ”utf8” ”’quotes”’ when converting my
> latex file to wiki markup, for further processing.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

You need to either leave out the `-S` (or `--smart`) option, or add in the
`--no-tex-ligatures` option on the command line, I think.  (I'm guessing
the latter.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

* Re: wiki latex to flat wiki
@ 2015-09-01 20:37     ` Luis Rivera
       [not found]       ` <c9bbf8c7-07d2-4e56-97be-824683fba319-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Rivera @ 2015-09-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 13:45:19 UTC-5, Daniel Staal wrote:

> --As of September 1, 2015 11:33:36 AM -0700, Luis Rivera is alleged to
> have
> said:
>
> > I am using LaTeX with the wiki.sty package. I'd like to know how to
> > prevent Pandoc from converting the wiki markup ''italics'' or
> > '''boldface''' into ”utf8” ”’quotes”’ when converting my
> > latex file to wiki markup, for further processing.
>
> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>
> You need to either leave out the `-S` (or `--smart`) option, or add in the
> `--no-tex-ligatures` option on the command line, I think.  (I'm guessing
> the latter.)

I checked that, but according to the manual these directives work for
convernting *to* LaTeX, not *from* it.

Cheers,

* Re: wiki latex to flat wiki
       [not found]       ` <c9bbf8c7-07d2-4e56-97be-824683fba319-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-02  3:07         ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]           ` <20150902030739.GJ61652-jF64zX8BO08aTFSqC7bH4WZHpeb/A1Y/@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-09-02  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Luis Rivera [Sep 01 15 13:37 ]:

>   I checked that, but according to the manual these directives work for
>   convernting *to* LaTeX, not *from* it.

Correct. Unfortunately `--smart` is enabled by default for
LaTeX input, and there's no way to disable it.

You could try preprocessing the input with something that
substitutes \' for '.  That may or may not work - it depends
on whether you've got other 's that need to stay unchanged.

* Re: wiki latex to flat wiki
       [not found]           ` <20150902030739.GJ61652-jF64zX8BO08aTFSqC7bH4WZHpeb/A1Y/@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-02 19:48             ` Luis Rivera
       [not found]               ` <293fa1eb-bc78-4917-ba72-9d7c2915033a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Rivera @ 2015-09-02 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Tuesday, 1 September 2015 22:07:54 UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote:

> +++ Luis Rivera [Sep 01 15 13:37 ]:
>
> >   I checked that, but according to the manual these directives work for
> >   convernting *to* LaTeX, not *from* it.
>
> Correct. Unfortunately `--smart` is enabled by default for
> LaTeX input, and there's no way to disable it.

I feared I would receive this reply...

> You could try preprocessing the input with something that
> substitutes \' for '.  That may or may not work - it depends
> on whether you've got other 's that need to stay unchanged.

OK. Thanks.

I don't know if a feature request is in order. I mean: if you require UTF-8
as input, I see no reason to encourage the use of TeX ligatures anymore.

Cheers,

* Re: wiki latex to flat wiki
       [not found]               ` <293fa1eb-bc78-4917-ba72-9d7c2915033a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-08 17:53                 ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-09-08 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, please go ahead and submit a feature request on the
tracker.  It is bad that there's no way to disable `--smart`
in LaTeX.

+++ Luis Rivera [Sep 02 15 12:48 ]: