* Cannot include '\usepackage[compact]{titlesec}' in header with YAML
@ 2016-04-01 17:03 Dylan Evans
       [not found] ` <2ec2dd1f-fde7-4c7c-94e7-24fd25df1cfb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Evans @ 2016-04-01 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have the following YAML metadata block at the top of a Markdown file:

---
header-includes:
  - \usepackage[scaled]{helvet}
  - \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
  - \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
  - \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
geometry: margin=1in
---

Without titlesec everything works fine but with it I get the error:

! Argument of \paragraph has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                \par
l.1276 \ttl@extract\paragraph

pandoc: Error producing PDF

I get the same error if I try to include geometry (although I've found out
that I don't need to do that now obviously).

I don't know what's causing this. Any help would be much appreciated.

* Re: Cannot include '\usepackage[compact]{titlesec}' in header with YAML
       [not found] ` <2ec2dd1f-fde7-4c7c-94e7-24fd25df1cfb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-01 18:20   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]     ` <56FEBBD1.1050807-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-04-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-04-01 kl. 19:03, skrev Dylan Evans:
> I have the following YAML metadata block at the top of a Markdown file:
>
> ---
> header-includes:
>    - \usepackage[scaled]{helvet}
>    - \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
>    - \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>    - \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
> geometry: margin=1in
> ---
>
> Without titlesec everything works fine but with it I get the error:
>
> ! Argument of \paragraph has an extra }.
> <inserted text>
>                  \par
> l.1276 \ttl@extract\paragraph
>
> pandoc: Error producing PDF
>
> I get the same error if I try to include geometry (although I've found out
> that I don't need to do that now obviously).
>
> I don't know what's causing this. Any help would be much appreciated.

The contents of the header-includes lines are treated by pandoc as
markdown text rather than as raw LaTeX.

You can use this filter
<https://gist.github.com/bpj/e6e53cbe679d3ec77e25> which will turn
any code block with a raw=FORMAT attribute into a raw block of the
appropriate output format.

(Note: I wrote it myself.)

Note you must change your YAML to

````yaml
header-includes:
     - |
         ``` {raw=latex}
         \usepackage[scaled]{helvet}
         \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
         \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
         \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
         ```
````

The alternative is to use an --include-in-header file.

/bpj

@ 2016-04-01 18:26       ` Dylan Evans
       [not found]         ` <4f82153d-160e-4ada-bccc-0534bd5c24a9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Evans @ 2016-04-01 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 7:20:06 PM UTC+1, BP Jonsson wrote:

> Den 2016-04-01 kl. 19:03, skrev Dylan Evans:
> > I have the following YAML metadata block at the top of a Markdown file:
> >
> > ---
> > header-includes:
> >    - \usepackage[scaled]{helvet}
> >    - \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
> >    - \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> >    - \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
> > geometry: margin=1in
> > ---
> >
> > Without titlesec everything works fine but with it I get the error:
> >
> > ! Argument of \paragraph has an extra }.
> > <inserted text>
> >                  \par
> > l.1276 \ttl@extract\paragraph
> >
> > pandoc: Error producing PDF
> >
> > I get the same error if I try to include geometry (although I've found
> out
> > that I don't need to do that now obviously).
> >
> > I don't know what's causing this. Any help would be much appreciated.
> >

> The contents of the header-includes lines are treated by pandoc as
> markdown text rather than as raw LaTeX.
>
> You can use this filter
> <https://gist.github.com/bpj/e6e53cbe679d3ec77e25> which will turn
> any code block with a raw=FORMAT attribute into a raw block of the
> appropriate output format.
>
> (Note: I wrote it myself.)
>
> Note you must change your YAML to
>
> ````yaml
> header-includes:
>      - |
>          ``` {raw=latex}
>          \usepackage[scaled]{helvet}
>          \renewcommand\familydefault{\sfdefault}
>          \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>          \usepackage[compact]{titlesec}
>          ```
> ````
>
> The alternative is to use an --include-in-header file.
>
> /bpj

Thanks very much, I didn't know that.  I find it odd that the font stuff
works fine though.

@ 2016-04-01 18:56           ` Dylan Evans
       [not found]             ` <7190bd4e-660a-431f-a69c-481744e86303-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Evans @ 2016-04-01 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w

I get the same error when trying to use titlesec in a dedicated .tex file.
It appears that the issue is with titlesec.

@ 2016-04-01 19:05               ` Benct Philip Jonsson
       [not found]                 ` <CAFC_yuRhnWLO669cgagrX0um2YK9QVfA8W1LmjYVU=Qyc-OKvA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Benct Philip Jonsson @ 2016-04-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, sorry I didn't notice that. I have also had problems using titlesec
with pandoc. Part of it is that pandoc redefines `\paragraph` and
`\subparagraph` which interferes with how titlesec does its thing. Try
changing your template/cloning the default template removing pandoc's
redefinitions. Depending on what you are doing with titlesec it may work
then.

fredag 1 april 2016 skrev Dylan Evans <dylanlee.evans95-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> I get the same error when trying to use titlesec in a dedicated .tex file.
> It appears that the issue is with titlesec.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7190bd4e-660a-431f-a69c-481744e86303%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7190bd4e-660a-431f-a69c-481744e86303%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

/BP

@ 2016-04-03 14:19                   ` Dylan Evans
From: Dylan Evans @ 2016-04-03 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That did it. Thanks very much.

--
Dylan Evans

@ 2016-04-03 23:35                   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]                     ` <20160403233556.GB55527-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-04-03 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Maybe we should do these redefinitions conditionally,
checking first to see if titlesec is loaded?

+++ Benct Philip Jonsson [Apr 01 16 21:05 ]:

@ 2016-04-04  9:49                       ` BPJ
       [not found]                         ` <CADAJKhB-_OWL5kqHSh+9Ry6=m1NqzpfZsm0RzBx7Cu01t_09YA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2016-04-04  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Or do them *with* titlesec which also would work though honestly I wonder
if that wouldn't be more complicated.

@ 2016-04-05  5:42                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                             ` <20160405054217.GA57274-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-05  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm actually tempted to remove the special code in the latex
template that puts \paragraph and \subparagraph titles on
separate lines.

I think I included it because I got a series of complaints
about headers jammed up against the paragraph, and it seemed
reasonable to have uniform output in every target format.

But now, I'm getting complaints about not treating
\paragraph in the usual way in LaTeX (e.g. #2807).

+++ BPJ [Apr 04 16 11:49 ]:

@ 2016-04-05 19:24                               ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                                 ` <CAFC_yuRUh3YfK_7eODw0Mfu_rbbkNYSKbuw62msmZ_zkvXe0wQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-04-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It seems to me that the best compromise would be to make the redefinitions
dependent on a variable.

/bpj

@ 2016-06-16 20:11                                   ` Antony Lee
       [not found]                                     ` <e01c77f5-ed30-4ad3-8fb0-0061227998fd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Antony Lee @ 2016-06-16 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Perhaps a solution like http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/3884/4101 would work?

@ 2016-06-19 14:13                                       ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-06-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes it can be done *with* titlesec as I already said. I didn't actually
implement it at the time. However someone who wants to implement their own
modifications using titlesec might rum into funny combined effects.
Therefore I think it would be wisest to make pandoc's redefinitions
dependent on a template variable. That would also hopefully satisfy those
complaining that rendering of pandoc output differs between output formats
without upsetting those who complain that pandoc alters LaTeX's normal
behavior, i.e. it would be the easiest way to try to satisfy everyone,
including titlesec users.

BTW, back when this thread was new I started to write a filter (in Perl)
which would let you redefine heading styles declaratively in YAML metadata,
constructing the corresponding titlesec code and inserting it in the
metadata as a raw LaTeX block which would be inserted into the LaTeX header
through a cutom template variable. I probably should finish it.

/bpj

torsdag 16 juni 2016 skrev Antony Lee <anntzer.lee-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> Perhaps a solution like http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/3884/4101 would
> work?
>
> On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 12:24:23 PM UTC-7, BP Jonsson wrote:
>>
>> It seems to me that the best compromise would be to make the
>> redefinitions dependent on a variable.
>>
>> /bpj
>> Den 5 apr 2016 07:42 skrev "John MacFarlane" <j...-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>>
>>> I'm actually tempted to remove the special code in the latex
>>> template that puts \paragraph and \subparagraph titles on
>>> separate lines.
>>>
>>> I think I included it because I got a series of complaints
>>> about headers jammed up against the paragraph, and it seemed
>>> reasonable to have uniform output in every target format.
>>>
>>> But now, I'm getting complaints about not treating
>>> \paragraph in the usual way in LaTeX (e.g. #2807).
>>>
>>> +++ BPJ [Apr 04 16 11:49 ]:

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/20160405054217.GA57274%40MacBook-Air-2.local
>>> .
>>>
>> --
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org');>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e01c77f5-ed30-4ad3-8fb0-0061227998fd%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e01c77f5-ed30-4ad3-8fb0-0061227998fd%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

------------------------------
SavedURI :Show URLShow URLSavedURI :
SavedURI :Hide URLHide URLSavedURI :
https://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-static/_/js/k=gmail.main.sv.G3GZFwvcniQ.O/m=m_i,t,it/am=fUAcTAoZawdGHAZ2YD-g9N_f7LL4CX7WlSgHQKgABHaCv9kToPiBD8qOMw/rt=h/d=1/rs=AItRSTO5CF1YB_frDRXLXTeUsQ1zItcBvwhttps://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-static/_/js/k=gmail.main.sv.G3GZFwvcniQ.O/m=m_i,t,it/am=fUAcTAoZawdGHAZ2YD-g9N_f7LL4CX7WlSgHQKgABHaCv9kToPiBD8qOMw/rt=h/d=1/rs=AItRSTO5CF1YB_frDRXLXTeUsQ1zItcBvw

@ 2016-10-08 22:07       ` Ashley Bye
       [not found]         ` <95cc41ae-e664-42fa-a94c-e186a7ff5996-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ashley Bye @ 2016-10-08 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: bpj-J3H7GcXPSITLoDKTGw+V6w

I just stumbled across this whilst trying to work out how to use titlesec
with pandoc. Could you explain how I use the pandoc-code2raw python module?
ie Do I run it as part of my pandoc command to convert the input files to
pdf, or do I have to run it on the file I need the titlesec package to be
in first? An example usage command would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

@ 2016-10-09 14:38           ` Benct Philip Jonsson
       [not found]             ` <CAFC_yuShUZ-jnC6m=PzBMqLcBu_iK8ZswKdrAZGSK+Ln3ogBaA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Benct Philip Jonsson @ 2016-10-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You run it as argument to the pandoc -F/--filter option.
Look for the --filter option in the pandoc user manual.
http://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html

Note that you must either give the path to the filter as argument to the
option or make the filter executable, in which case the filename suffices
as argument.

/bpj

@ 2016-10-09 14:58               ` Benct Philip Jonsson
From: Benct Philip Jonsson @ 2016-10-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)