* BBCode support
@ 2016-04-08 13:05 Frank Siebert
       [not found] ` <081526dc-4cac-4a38-847b-1785bbfafd48-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Frank Siebert @ 2016-04-08 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc supports many formats, but one I miss is BBCode
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode>, also known as phpBB. It is widely
used in forums.
Is there a particular reason why pandoc does not support it out-of-the-box?

I implemented a writer (but other writers exist, e.g. markdown2bbcode.hs
<http://xyne.archlinux.ca/scripts/web/markdown2bbcode.hs>), not yet pushed
or forked in github. What is necessary to include it into the official
pandoc?

* Re: BBCode support
       [not found] ` <081526dc-4cac-4a38-847b-1785bbfafd48-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-08 22:04   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Frank Siebert [Apr 08 16 06:05 ]:
>   pandoc supports many formats, but one I miss is [1]BBCode, also known
>   as phpBB. It is widely used in forums.
>   Is there a particular reason why pandoc does not support it
>   out-of-the-box?

No!

>   I implemented a writer (but other writers exist,
>   e.g. [2]markdown2bbcode.hs), not yet pushed or forked in github. What
>   is necessary to include it into the official pandoc?

Easiest approach is to fork pandoc, create a local branch
that adds your writer, and send me a PR.  Then I can review
the code.

Things you'll need:

- the actual writer module,
  src/Text/Pandoc/Writers/BBCode.hs

- modify src/Text/Pandoc.hs to incorporate this

- add tests (at minimum, writer.bbcode generated from
  testsuite.native, and verified to be correct); you'll
  need to modify tests/Tests/Old.hs to make sure this is
  run.

- modify README to include BBCode as an output format.

- modify cabal file - add bbcode to formats in description,
  add the module to exposed modules, add the test files.