* Use of YAML metadata block
@ 2016-04-09 14:07 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <57090C95.6050607-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am a little unsure of the boundaries of what a YAML metadata block can
contain in order for it to be correctly interpreted as a command line
option.

While there is a certain allure to having all compile-time options
sitting in a metadata block in the document itself to make it
self-contained, Pandoc's versatility in format support makes this
difficult to achieve.

My understanding is that key-value options to --variable and --metadata
can be included in a YAML metadata block, but not standard command line
options like --bibliography or --filter or --highlight-style (with
title, author, date being exceptions.)

Is this correct?

Because this is a dynamic and evolving area, can someone point me to the
definitive single source that documents current behaviour so that I
might get some clarity, please.

Thanks.

Chandra

* Re: Use of YAML metadata block
       [not found] ` <57090C95.6050607-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-09 17:18   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-09 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar [Apr 09 16 19:37 ]:
>I am a little unsure of the boundaries of what a YAML metadata block
>can contain in order for it to be correctly interpreted as a command
>line option.
>
>While there is a certain allure to having all compile-time options
>sitting in a metadata block in the document itself to make it
>self-contained, Pandoc's versatility in format support makes this
>difficult to achieve.
>
>My understanding is that key-value options to --variable and
>--metadata can be included in a YAML metadata block, but not standard
>command line options like --bibliography or --filter or
>--highlight-style (with title, author, date being exceptions.)
>
>Is this correct?

Yes, but with one qualification:  some command-line options,
like `--bibliography`, do nothing but set a metadata value.
So that's a case where you can put it in your YAML metadata.

The section of the User's Guide/man page/README entitled
Variables is the best place to look for what can
be set in YAML metadata.