* How to write a markdown source that is dual compatible with pandoc-citeproc and biblatex?
@ 2016-04-29  3:29 Kolen Cheung
       [not found] ` <913c0565-345a-4a73-9c0f-3bc9f3a353c6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-04-29  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I want to write markdown source that is dual compatible with
pandoc-citeproc and biblatex, so that in HTML output I can use
pandoc-citeproc, and in LaTeX output I can use biblatex.

There are some caveats:
<#>NoCite

If I want to use nocite, pandoc-citeproc requires

nocite: |
  @abc

in the YAML front matter, but biblatex requires

\nocite{abc}

Am I missing anything?

So I need to put both for it to work. Luckily, it seems that even if I used
pandoc-citeproc in LaTeX, the extra \nocite{abc} didn’t cause error.
<#>References Heading

In pandoc-citeproc, a heading of References needed to be input manually. So
there’s no simple way to write a markdown source that is compatible with
both pandoc-citeproc (e.g. for HTML output) and biblatex (for LaTeX output).
<#>References in a List?

pandoc-citeproc seems not to put the references in a list. Is it just about
using a different citation style or something fundamental in
pandoc-citeproc?

Thanks very much in advance.
​

* Re: How to write a markdown source that is dual compatible with pandoc-citeproc and biblatex?
       [not found] ` <913c0565-345a-4a73-9c0f-3bc9f3a353c6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-29  4:13   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <2b6130a3-e180-4886-8e42-fa4c929605d4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-04-29  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry, forgot to mention that the command line option to output PDF
directly seems not working if biblatex, and is suggested by the
documentation:

--biblatex

Use biblatex for citations in LaTeX output. This option is not for use with
the pandoc-citeproc filter or with PDF output. It is intended for use in
producing a LaTeX file that can be processed with bibtex or biber.

I have written a bash script to chain everything together (pandoc to tex
first and then use latexmk), but is curious why pandoc cannot do that.
​

@ 2016-04-30  3:22   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-30  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Kolen Cheung [Apr 28 16 20:29 ]:

>   In pandoc-citeproc, a heading of References needed to be input
>   manually. So there’s no simple way to write a markdown source that is
>   compatible with both pandoc-citeproc (e.g. for HTML output) and
>   biblatex (for LaTeX output).

You can use reference-section-title in metadata instead of
adding the header. See the pandoc-citeproc manual.

>References in a List?
>
>   pandoc-citeproc seems not to put the references in a list. Is it just
>   about using a different citation style or something fundamental in
>   pandoc-citeproc?

Neither a bullet list nor an enumerated list would be
appropriate for many styles.  That's why.

@ 2016-04-30  3:24       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-30  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Kolen Cheung [Apr 28 16 21:13 ]:
>   Sorry, forgot to mention that the command line option to output PDF
>   directly seems not working if biblatex, and is suggested by the
>   documentation:
>
>     --biblatex
>
>     Use biblatex for citations in LaTeX output. This option is not for
>     use with the pandoc-citeproc filter or with PDF output. It is
>     intended for use in producing a LaTeX file that can be processed
>     with bibtex or biber.

Pandoc's PDF output option just does simple stuff.  If you
need to run biblatex (or biber or whatever), then produce
latex and make the PDF yourself (I'd use a Makefile for
this).

We figure that anyone who wants to use bibtex will know
enough about LaTeX to do that.

Could pandoc do it?  Well, it adds a lot of complexity,
determining whether bibtex needs to be run.  And how do
you know what bibtex-like program to run?  (With biblatex
I like using biber, but you can also use bibtex.)

Too much complexity, I thought.  LaTeX experts don't need
pandoc to produce the PDF.