From: John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: How to write a markdown source that is dual compatible with pandoc-citeproc and biblatex?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 20:24:33 -0700	[thread overview]

+++ Kolen Cheung [Apr 28 16 21:13 ]:
>   Sorry, forgot to mention that the command line option to output PDF
>   directly seems not working if biblatex, and is suggested by the
>   documentation:
>
>     --biblatex
>
>     Use biblatex for citations in LaTeX output. This option is not for
>     use with the pandoc-citeproc filter or with PDF output. It is
>     intended for use in producing a LaTeX file that can be processed
>     with bibtex or biber.

Pandoc's PDF output option just does simple stuff.  If you
need to run biblatex (or biber or whatever), then produce
latex and make the PDF yourself (I'd use a Makefile for
this).

We figure that anyone who wants to use bibtex will know
enough about LaTeX to do that.

Could pandoc do it?  Well, it adds a lot of complexity,
determining whether bibtex needs to be run.  And how do
you know what bibtex-like program to run?  (With biblatex
I like using biber, but you can also use bibtex.)

Too much complexity, I thought.  LaTeX experts don't need
pandoc to produce the PDF.