* Papersize setting not reflected in PDF Properties
@ 2016-04-29  4:53 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <36b333e5-2759-7c61-f656-68d9ce08dd16-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have appended below a self-explanatory file, which when compiled by
pandoc, gives PDFs that report a page size that is Letter rather than
A4, despite compiling with the papersize variable set to a4paper.

****** Start of file papersize.md ******

---
title: Test of papersize setting in YAML metablock
papersize: a4paper
geometry:
   - margin=25mm
---

This file is saved as `papersize.md`.

The papersize setting `papersize: a4paper` is given in the YAML metablock.

I am on a Linux system running `pandoc 1.17.0.3`.

The compilation script is:

~~~
pandoc --smart --standalone --from markdown --to latex
--latex-engine=xelatex --output papersize.pdf papersize.md
~~~

The PDF Properties when displaying `papersize.pdf` using Okular shows
`Page Size: 216 x 279 mm (portrait letter)` instead of `A4`.

Moreover, `pdfinfo papersize.md` gives `Page size: 612 x 792 pts
(letter)` as well.

As a check, if I compile with

~~~
pandoc --smart --standalone --from markdown --to latex
--latex-engine=xelatex --variable papersize=a4paper --output
papersize.pdf papersize.md
~~~

I still get the letter paper page size reported above by the two methods.

What am I doing wrong here and what should I do to get a page size of A4
by a YAML metablock setting?

Or is this a bug?

****** End of file papersize.md ******

* Re: Papersize setting not reflected in PDF Properties
       [not found] ` <36b333e5-2759-7c61-f656-68d9ce08dd16-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-29  8:29   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <87lh3w4y2o.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-04-29  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Apr 29 2016, R. Chandrasekhar wrote:
> I have appended below a self-explanatory file, which when compiled by
> pandoc, gives PDFs that report a page size that is Letter rather than
> A4, despite compiling with the papersize variable set to a4paper.

Actually, the papersize option to the documentclass declaration in
itself doesn't do very much. You'll also need a package that can set the
paper size, e.g., geometry, or use a class style that takes care of it
(the koma classes do; don't know about memoir).

I'm not an expert in any way, but I do know that setting the paper size
in (La)TeX is a complex topic. (There's a reason why paper size is a
configuration option of the TeX system itself...)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2016-04-29 11:29       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]         ` <d702a67f-bf6f-e732-a7da-432fc846532b-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 29/04/16 13:59, Joost Kremers wrote:

> Actually, the papersize option to the documentclass declaration in
> itself doesn't do very much. You'll also need a package that can set the
> paper size, e.g., geometry, or use a class style that takes care of it
> (the koma classes do; don't know about memoir).
>
> I'm not an expert in any way, but I do know that setting the paper size
> in (La)TeX is a complex topic. (There's a reason why paper size is a
> configuration option of the TeX system itself...)

Thanks for mentioning options to documentclass in your reply. If, I replace

papersize: a4paper

by

classoption: a4paper

in the YAML metablock. I do indeed get an A4 page sized PDF.

I guess now my question becomes, why does it not work for papersize?

Thanks.

@ 2016-04-29 13:39           ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]             ` <7966bc6d-d6fb-5392-fe8f-137e20024418-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 29/04/16 16:59, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> On 29/04/16 13:59, Joost Kremers wrote:
>>
>> Actually, the papersize option to the documentclass declaration in
>> itself doesn't do very much. You'll also need a package that can set the
>> paper size, e.g., geometry, or use a class style that takes care of it
>> (the koma classes do; don't know about memoir).
>>
>> I'm not an expert in any way, but I do know that setting the paper size
>> in (La)TeX is a complex topic. (There's a reason why paper size is a
>> configuration option of the TeX system itself...)
>>

> Thanks for mentioning options to documentclass in your reply. If, I replace
>
> papersize: a4paper
>
> by
>
> classoption: a4paper
>
> in the YAML metablock. I do indeed get an A4 page sized PDF.
>
> I guess now my question becomes, why does it not work for papersize?
>
> Thanks.

And setting

papersize: A4

does not work either.

@ 2016-04-29 17:38               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                 ` <2c0b0377-bc86-096a-3a74-ab3626a489fe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 29/04/16 19:09, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:

> On 29/04/16 16:59, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
>> On 29/04/16 13:59, Joost Kremers wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, the papersize option to the documentclass declaration in
>>> itself doesn't do very much. You'll also need a package that can set the
>>> paper size, e.g., geometry, or use a class style that takes care of it
>>> (the koma classes do; don't know about memoir).
>>>
>>> I'm not an expert in any way, but I do know that setting the paper size
>>> in (La)TeX is a complex topic. (There's a reason why paper size is a
>>> configuration option of the TeX system itself...)
>>>

>> Thanks for mentioning options to documentclass in your reply. If, I
>> replace
>>
>> papersize: a4paper
>>
>> by
>>
>> classoption: a4paper
>>
>> in the YAML metablock. I do indeed get an A4 page sized PDF.
>>
>> I guess now my question becomes, why does it not work for papersize?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> And setting
>
> papersize: A4
>
> does not work either.

But setting

papersize: a4

does work.

I needed to get the intermediate .tex file to examine it to see where
things were going wrong.

It appears that the paper size may be set in three ways with subtle
differences in result, as they are not all necessarily equivalent:

(a) papersize: a4

(b) classoption: a4paper

(c) geometry:
	- paper=a4paper

Scope for error arises when one stipulates

papersize: a4paper

which leads to the erroneous documentclass option `a4paperpaper` in the
.tex file. Perhaps this setting could be made uniform in all three cases
in a subsequent release of Pandoc.

Likewise, fontsize, which may be set in at least two ways:

(i) fontsize: 12pt

(ii) classoption: 12pt

But the scope for error here is reduced since the value for the key is
the same in both cases: 12pt.

Chandra

@ 2016-04-29 17:42           ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]             ` <57239D0C.7050309-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-04-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-04-29 kl. 13:29, skrev R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar:
> If, I replace
>
> papersize: a4paper
>
> by
>
> classoption: a4paper
>
> in the YAML metablock. I do indeed get an A4 page sized PDF.
>
> I guess now my question becomes, why does it not work for papersize?

Apparently there is no variable $papersize$ in the default latex
template.

/bpj

@ 2016-04-29 17:46               ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found]                 ` <b199b75f-a40f-0877-5782-9cc0ce7f0b69-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]                 ` <CADAJKhAEoDDiBNSe9Ee8bf1S3hJHnsec_yFVvW3pjEHrjaondQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 29/04/16 23:12, BP Jonsson wrote:
> Den 2016-04-29 kl. 13:29, skrev R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar:
>> If, I replace
>>
>> papersize: a4paper
>>
>> by
>>
>> classoption: a4paper
>>
>> in the YAML metablock. I do indeed get an A4 page sized PDF.
>>
>> I guess now my question becomes, why does it not work for papersize?
>
> Apparently there is no variable $papersize$ in the default latex template.
>
> /bpj

But there is ...

The first line of template.tex for latex is:

\documentclass[$if(fontsize)$$fontsize$,$endif$$if(lang)$$babel-lang$,$endif$$if(papersize)$$papersize$paper,$endif$$for(classoption)$$classoption$$sep$,$endfor$]{$documentclass$}

Note the extra paper that I think was the cause of my problem.

Chandra

@ 2016-04-29 18:48                   ` Christophe Demko
       [not found]                     ` <d195d8cd-9064-4ed6-b44c-3cc69bf1866f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christophe Demko @ 2016-04-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Use
geometry: a4paper

       [not found]                   ` <CADAJKhAEoDDiBNSe9Ee8bf1S3hJHnsec_yFVvW3pjEHrjaondQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-29 19:04                     ` Melroch
       [not found]                       ` <CADAJKhBVACxDSUvqsxaCTdk4bKsdopLQfKMdYV8+Yvprw_PG5A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Melroch @ 2016-04-29 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ah, but you should just write "papersize: a4". The "paper" is included
automatically by the template. Unfortunately LaTeX just ignores
"a4paperpaper" instead of raising an error.
Den 29 apr 2016 19:48 skrev "R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar" <chyavana-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/b199b75f-a40f-0877-5782-9cc0ce7f0b69%40gmail.com
.

@ 2016-04-29 19:05                       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If I do that, I get the text cut off at the top and bottom because the
text is typeset using the margins and page area of A4, but the
documentclass reverts to its default letterpaper.

So, I get an A4 page of text typeset on letterpaper. It is important to
set the paper size to A4 at the documentclass level because the default
size is letterpaper.

Chandra

@ 2016-04-29 19:07                         ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-29 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Touché!

@ 2016-04-30  0:05                   ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                     ` <fa0bddbf-548c-46c4-80b3-afb2d2c73a92-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-04-30  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 7:38:54 PM UTC+2, chandra wrote:

> (a) papersize: a4
>
> (b) classoption: a4paper
>
> (c) geometry:
>         - paper=a4paper
>
> Scope for error arises when one stipulates
>
> papersize: a4paper
>
> which leads to the erroneous documentclass option `a4paperpaper` in the
> .tex file. Perhaps this setting could be made uniform in all three cases
> in a subsequent release of Pandoc.

Perhaps this means that the $papersize$ variable should be filled with "a4"
instead of "a4paper"?

@ 2016-04-30  2:07                       ` R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2016-04-30  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 30/04/16 05:35, kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss wrote:

> On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 7:38:54 PM UTC+2, chandra wrote:
>

>     (a) papersize: a4
>
>     (b) classoption: a4paper
>
>     (c) geometry:
>             - paper=a4paper
>
>     Scope for error arises when one stipulates
>
>     papersize: a4paper
>
>     which leads to the erroneous documentclass option `a4paperpaper` in the
>     .tex file. Perhaps this setting could be made uniform in all three
>     cases
>     in a subsequent release of Pandoc.
>

> Perhaps this means that the $papersize$ variable should be filled with
> "a4" instead of "a4paper"?

Yes, indeed.

Chandra

@ 2016-04-30  3:26   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You might try with --verbose just to check that the papersize
is appearing properly in the documentclass options.

@ 2016-04-30  3:29                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-30  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Have a look at the latex template (pandoc -D latex):

\documentclass[$if(fontsize)$$fontsize$,$endif$$if(lang)$$babel-lang$,$endif$$if(papersize)$$papersize$paper,$endif$$for(classoption)$$classoption$$sep$,$endfor$]{$documentclass$}

As you can see, the `paper` part is hardcoded.  So, setting
`papersize` to `a4` yieldse `a4paper` in the documentclass
options.

@ 2016-04-30  3:32                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-04-30  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss

The reason it's meant to be set to `a4` and not `a4paper` is
so that the same setting can be used for ConTeXt and LaTeX.
(In ConTeXt you say:  `\setuppapersize[a4]`.)

This gives us uniformity across formats, at the cost of
being slightly confusing for LaTeX experts.

+++ kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss [Apr 29 16 17:05 ]: