* ! Missing \endgroup inserted when converting md to pdf
@ 2016-06-28  0:01 J Parker
       [not found] ` <44a64fe2-4269-4c5f-a41f-14e2a6636720-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: J Parker @ 2016-06-28  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a relatively large markdown text file that used to be able to be
converted to pdf but recently has started displaying the following;

pandoc "cli-notes.md" --toc -V documentclass=standalone -V fontsize=12pt -V
mainfont=Arial -V sansfont=Arial -V monofont="Courier New"  -o
"cli-notes.pdf" -V geometry:margin=1cm --latex-engine=xelatex
Process started >>>
! Missing \endgroup inserted.
<inserted text>
                \endgroup
l.59

pandoc: Error producing PDF
<<< Process finished. (Exit code 43)

It converts to html fine but the pdf conversion no longer works. I have
tried converting to tex which completes successfully and was hoping to be
able to find the issue in the tex file but I am unfamiliar with the syntax.
I suspect there is some formatting in the source .md file that it doesnt
like. Can anyone offer some insight as to what to look for.

I am using notepad++ with pandoc 1.17.1 and nppexec, I get the same error
from the command line.

If anyone can offer some guidance it would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Jools

* Re: ! Missing \endgroup inserted when converting md to pdf
       [not found] ` <44a64fe2-4269-4c5f-a41f-14e2a6636720-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-28  2:00   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-06-28  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Usually the best way to solve problems like this is to
generate tex (using the same options as before, but
-o cli-notes.tex instead of .pdf.

Then run xelatex directly on cli-notes.tex. This should give
you more information about where the build is failing.

You could also try adding the --verbose flag, which will
print the full latex intermediary file and give you the
full latex log.

+++ J Parker [Jun 27 16 17:01 ]:

@ 2016-06-28 19:19   ` J Parker
       [not found]     ` <fb437c46-2608-4341-a684-659d0ec1bdf7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: J Parker @ 2016-06-28 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

thanks for the input

It seems to be happening for everything now (might have been like that
before but I was just doing some more checking).

I just did it on the attached test.md and I still get the error. I'm going
to do more testing in the windows setup I have and may see if it does the
same in a linux rig. I will probably end up removing latex and reinstalling
it in Windows just in case its one of the utilities.

I'll post back here when I get some more info.

thanks

Jools

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 01:01:34 UTC+1, J Parker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a relatively large markdown text file that used to be able to be
> converted to pdf but recently has started displaying the following;
>
> pandoc "cli-notes.md" --toc -V documentclass=standalone -V fontsize=12pt
> -V mainfont=Arial -V sansfont=Arial -V monofont="Courier New"  -o
> "cli-notes.pdf" -V geometry:margin=1cm --latex-engine=xelatex
> Process started >>>
> ! Missing \endgroup inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                 \endgroup
> l.59
>
> pandoc: Error producing PDF
> <<< Process finished. (Exit code 43)
>
> It converts to html fine but the pdf conversion no longer works. I have
> tried converting to tex which completes successfully and was hoping to be
> able to find the issue in the tex file but I am unfamiliar with the syntax.
> I suspect there is some formatting in the source .md file that it doesnt
> like. Can anyone offer some insight as to what to look for.
>
> I am using notepad++ with pandoc 1.17.1 and nppexec, I get the same error
> from the command line.
>
> If anyone can offer some guidance it would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jools

[-- Attachment #2: test.md --]
[-- Type: text/x-markdown, Size: 641 bytes --]

% Description

# Heading 1

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

## Heading 2

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet etc.

### Heading 3

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet blah blah blah.
- do this

- then this

- type this

	```
	# rm -rf /
	```

@ 2016-06-28 19:38       ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-06-28 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If it happens for everything, perhaps you have a broken
default latex template.  Check your ~/.pandoc/templates directory
for a default.latex.

+++ J Parker [Jun 28 16 12:19 ]:

@ 2016-06-29 11:56   ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-06-29 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)