* Filter to create sideways figures
@ 2016-11-20 14:48 Chris Chandler
       [not found] ` <f8d8ad3d-d2fa-4217-926d-b6f6ca0118dd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Chandler @ 2016-11-20 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have several wide figures in a large document that need to be displayed
landscape. Using the LaTeX package rotating, I can use
\begin{sidewaysfigure} and get this result very easily. The current tex
file generated from my markdown looks like this:

![Example figure](/location/of/image.png){#fig:blah}

\begin{figure}[htbp]
\centering
\includegraphics{/location/of/image.png}
\caption{Example figure\label{fig:blah}}
\end{figure}

Is there a way for a filter to replace \begin{figure}[htbp] and
\end{figure} with \begin{sidewaysfigure} and \end{sidewaysfigure} if there
is a tag like so: ![Example figure](/location/of/image.png){#fig:blah
sidewaysfigure}? Any advice would be helpful. I have been trying with no
success.

* Re: Filter to create sideways figures
       [not found] ` <f8d8ad3d-d2fa-4217-926d-b6f6ca0118dd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-20 16:01   ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2016-11-20 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 20 November 2016 at 15:48, Chris Chandler
<christopher.e.chandler-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have several wide figures in a large document that need to be displayed
> landscape. Using the LaTeX package rotating, I can use
> \begin{sidewaysfigure} and get this result very easily. The current tex file
> generated from my markdown looks like this:
>
> ![Example figure](/location/of/image.png){#fig:blah}
>
> \begin{figure}[htbp]
> \centering
> \includegraphics{/location/of/image.png}
> \caption{Example figure\label{fig:blah}}
> \end{figure}
>
> Is there a way for a filter to replace \begin{figure}[htbp] and \end{figure}
> with \begin{sidewaysfigure} and \end{sidewaysfigure} if there is a tag like
> so: ![Example figure](/location/of/image.png){#fig:blah sidewaysfigure}? Any
> advice would be helpful. I have been trying with no success.

Personally, whenever I need to do something like this I just generate
the LaTeX source and I post-process it using a suitable script and
then invoke `latexmk` on it.

--
VH

* Re: Filter to create sideways figures
@ 2016-11-20 19:36     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-20 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Václav Haisman [Nov 20 16 17:01 ]:
>On 20 November 2016 at 15:48, Chris Chandler
><christopher.e.chandler-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I have several wide figures in a large document that need to be displayed
>> landscape. Using the LaTeX package rotating, I can use
>> \begin{sidewaysfigure} and get this result very easily. The current tex file
>> generated from my markdown looks like this:
>>
>> ![Example figure](/location/of/image.png){#fig:blah}
>>
>> \begin{figure}[htbp]
>> \centering
>> \includegraphics{/location/of/image.png}
>> \caption{Example figure\label{fig:blah}}
>> \end{figure}
>>
>> Is there a way for a filter to replace \begin{figure}[htbp] and \end{figure}
>> with \begin{sidewaysfigure} and \end{sidewaysfigure} if there is a tag like
>> so: ![Example figure](/location/of/image.png){#fig:blah sidewaysfigure}? Any
>> advice would be helpful. I have been trying with no success.
>>

>Personally, whenever I need to do something like this I just generate
>the LaTeX source and I post-process it using a suitable script and
>then invoke `latexmk` on it.

That's the easiest approach.  Another possibility would be
to temporarily redefine the figure environmentn before your
figure.  With a filter, you'd have to generate all of the
LaTeX code for the figure; there's no way to change just the
environment name.