* ReStructured Text Paragraphs in Lists thinner in lower List Levels
@ 2016-11-21 14:51 Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found] ` <567656a1-8d35-4c67-9ce1-4e106666923a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Restructured Text allows to write nested lists like the following:

1. Abstract (Seiten: 1)

  Im Abstract werden Motivation, Problemstellung, Herangehensweise und
Resultate der Arbeit kurz beschrieben.

2. Einleitung (Seiten 4)

  2.1. Motivation (Seiten: 1)

    Ich verweise an dieser Stelle auf das Exposé der Masterarbeit.

However, the deeper into the list one writes a paragraph, the less
horizontal space a paragraph seems to be allowed to take, when converting
the .rst document to a pdf.

I'll show a screenshot. I have a complex pandoc template, however, the same
template in combination with markdown did not cause this issue. Is it
something that restructured text defines as a standard for paragraphs in
lists?

How do I disable this "thinning" behavior?

Screenshot:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qmx6pyn_2i8/WDMJ0qUcSaI/AAAAAAAAAAg/5M6jnxF-Pxw-g8ab7UdPVyTYg2Ond3UPQCLcB/s1600/screenshot.png>

* Re: ReStructured Text Paragraphs in Lists thinner in lower List Levels
       [not found] ` <567656a1-8d35-4c67-9ce1-4e106666923a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-21 15:11   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20161121151114.GA3007-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Does reST really allow things like 2.1. to start ordered
list items?  Pandoc's parser does not accept them as such,
so you're getting an ordinary paragraph rather than a real
list item, and the following content is being treated as
a blockquote because of the indentation.

(Use `pandoc -f rst -t native` to see how pandoc is
understanding the input.)

As far as I can see, reST does not allow compound list
enumerators like 2.1. See

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#enumerated-lists

This can be confirmed using rst2html.py.

So I don't see a problem in pandoc here.  Rather, you have
a misimpression about reST.

+++ Zelphir Kaltstahl [Nov 21 16 06:51 ]:

@ 2016-11-21 15:42       ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found]         ` <ee75ea1f-230f-47bb-9799-d35015e3c26c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-21 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Isn't the very link you posted showing nested enumerated lists? For example
I see there:

Examples of nested enumerated lists:

1. Item 1 initial text.

  a) Item 1a.
  b) Item 1b.

2. a) Item 2a.
   b) Item 2b.

When I look at the result from the PDF compilation (screenshot), I can see that the paragraphs are exactly indented to be "horizontally after" the second dot character of for example a "2.1."
That's why I was assuming it does work with pandoc and reST. Is this assumption wrong?
What else could then cause this way of precise indentation at more than one list level?

Maybe it is not supported in standard reST syntax, but it seems to be handled correctly by Pandoc. The only problem I see is that the paragraphs become thinner and thinner on the left AND the right, while I expected them to only become thinner on the left, where more space for indentation is needed.

@ 2016-11-21 15:44           ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry for bad formatting, the editor here has some issues when making a
section a code section, it seems to not break normal non-code lines anymore
and makes them monospaced font. I was clearly out of the code area
(visually) when writing the text. I'll try to post it again in this post:

@ 2016-11-21 17:39       ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-21 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I figured out, that you are correct.

The deceptive thing here were that the indented blocks were not rendered
any different than a normal paragraph and that the indentation of a
blockquote is the same as the indentation of a new list element.

@ 2016-11-21 21:24           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-21 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Zelphir Kaltstahl [Nov 21 16 07:42 ]:
>   Isn't the very link you posted showing nested enumerated lists? For

Nested, yes. The problem is that '2.1.' can't start an
enumerated list item in reST.  You can use things like
'1.' and 'a)' but not '2.1.'

You are getting indentation because indented content that
isn't a list is interpreted as a blockquote in reST.