* Latex Code inside reST File convert to PDF
@ 2016-11-23 19:27 Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found] ` <dd7df4c5-c089-4141-b29d-1360c5e017f0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-23 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

When I write in Pandoc Markdown, I can use (probably almost) arbitrary
Latex code in my markdown files, as long as needed packages are imported in
the Pandoc template. The Latex code is then ignored and as is inserted into
the template's body, if I understand correctly. Then the whole thing is
compiled to PDF.

Is the same possible in reStructuredText files?

I already know the .. :math: directive to be working, someone had an
example of that on the tex stackexchange subsite.

The reason I ask this is an idea I have.

Citations are not working when converting from reST file to PDF. However,
if I simply still used a style of citations and then ran a small tool,
which checks for citation keys in the bib file itself and transforms those
citations into Latex citations, that Latex code would be inserted into the
template. Then I could export to latex and use latexmk to build the PDF
with citations working just fine.
For this to work, it would be necessary, that I can include Latex in my
reST files, before pandoc puts it all into the template and creates the
complete document's Latex code.

* Re: Latex Code inside reST File convert to PDF
       [not found] ` <dd7df4c5-c089-4141-b29d-1360c5e017f0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-23 23:43   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20161123234304.GF76966-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-23 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, you can do

    .. raw:: latex

       latex goes here

for a whole block.  This won't help for citations.
For inlines you'll need

    .. role:: raw-latex(raw)
       :format: latex
       ..

at the top, then you can do

   :raw-latex:``\cite{hi}``

@ 2016-11-24 12:18       ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found]         ` <a51db0fc-ff96-497b-a316-fa5968cbd4d1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-24 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks!

This works, although it seems that it has to be:

    :raw-latex:`\cite{hi}`

Otherwise Pandoc puts a ` on each side of the \cite{...} in the latex
output.

The whole process will probably be (once I finished that small program):

   1. use pandoc citation style in rst file
   2. run the program to add the role and transform the citations
   into :raw-latex:`\cite{...}` citations
   3. run pandoc to produce latex (which will convert
   the :raw-latex:`\cite{...}` to just \cite{...} citations)
   4. run latexmk to produce pdf

In a first test run, where I added the role and put in a
:raw-latex:`\cite{...}` somewhere, this process worked fine, haven't tried
page numbers and such yet. I have to look up how that looks in latex.

@ 2016-11-24 13:10           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20161124131029.GA25992-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-24 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Zelphir Kaltstahl [Nov 24 16 04:18 ]:
>    2. run the program to add the role and transform the citations
>       into :raw-latex:`\cite{...}` citations

You could use pandoc itself to write this program.

pandoc -f markdown --natbib

or

pandoc -f markdown --biblatex

will generate the LaTeX command from the pandoc markdown
citation.

@ 2016-11-24 17:28               ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found]                 ` <8ca3f9a4-089c-4a77-82ea-a19107e0a35c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am not sure I understand correctly.

So I have some rst file with a pandoc citation in it. Lets say there is

    text text[@chou_2003 p.10] text text

When I use

    pandoc -f markdown --natbib --output test.pan

I get a file, which contains

    text text<span class="citation">[@chou_2003 p.10]</span> text text

So I'd have a file with HTML tags in it. (I think Pandocs internal
representation?) What would I do then? Does Pandoc know how to convert that
to PDF? If so what command would I use then?

@ 2016-11-24 17:32               ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Oh and doesn't this interpret the rst file wrongly as markdown file?

* Latex files for resume/CV formatting
       [not found]                 ` <8ca3f9a4-089c-4a77-82ea-a19107e0a35c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-24 17:38                   ` Fernando Botelho
       [not found]                     ` <e5cc7f94-23d9-642e-b8f8-2f38a06f2f66-mxjLRozsjzA@public.gmane.org>
From: Fernando Botelho @ 2016-11-24 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project to make it easy for non-technical blind
persons to produce high quality resumes for their own use. I think
markdown is just perfect for this.

the more immediate challenge is that I am myself not very technical. I
was hoping someone on this list, who has already configured all the
various Latex parameters to create his/her own resumes, might be able to
share those files with me.

I am experimenting with both Linux and Windows, so contributions that
will work on both or either would be great.

My own Linux experiment on Arch has not yielded very pretty results. My
guess is that I am not placing all the required files in the folder
where the PDF is being built.

Any assistance is most welcome!

Thanks,

Fernando
F123.org

* Re: Latex files for resume/CV formatting
       [not found]                     ` <e5cc7f94-23d9-642e-b8f8-2f38a06f2f66-mxjLRozsjzA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-24 17:50                       ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found]                         ` <8bc9d081-118e-49fc-95de-122bfd8c1b69-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: Fernando.Botelho-KbEfo2H6j98

I've a nice template for papers / books, at least I think it's good. But
resumes seem to involve more positioning than articles or book texts. Not
sure they'll help you, but here you
go: https://github.com/ZelphirKaltstahl/pandoc-templates/
I think a new topic would have been better though : )

@ 2016-11-25 10:30                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20161125103045.GF77617-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-11-25 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just meant that, in the script you were describing
writing, you could call pandoc on individual snippets
(just the citations) to generate latex code.

    % echo "[@chou_2003 p. 10]" | pandoc --natbib -t latex
    \citep[ p.~10]{chou_2003}

This saves you the trouble of writing that part of the
script yourself.  Your script would then put this into
the appropriate RST construct and splice it back into
your file.

+++ Zelphir Kaltstahl [Nov 24 16 09:28 ]:

@ 2016-11-25 12:19                           ` Fernando Botelho
From: Fernando Botelho @ 2016-11-25 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl, pandoc-discuss

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Fernando

@ 2016-11-25 13:57                       ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
       [not found]                         ` <0ca5be6f-3992-4db6-a455-f1ed87d7e5a6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-25 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

That's a nice idea.
I already wrote that part of my code though. It's not that much code, so
not much work wasted or anything.
In the end I also decided to not go with the pandoc citation style but the
style reST aready has. My self-argumentation was:

1. When someone writes a rst file, they probably have some kind of syntax
highlighting and rst support or at least are used to writing rst files. So
when I stick to the existing rst syntax, it would be supported by their
tools.
2. It seemed better not to introduce a "completely new" citation style into
rst syntax, when it already has citations. However I added page number
capability, while rst doesn't seem to have that. I guess you could say I am
not consequent on this one.
3. Adding Pandoc's citation style would be very easy in my program, just a
matter of adding a few regexes.

Here is what I got so far:

    https://github.com/ZelphirKaltstahl/rst-citations-to-raw-latex
<https://github.com/ZelphirKaltstahl/rst-citations-to-raw-latex>

I run it with:

    python -m RSTCitations <rst file with rst citations>

From the directory:

    rst-citations-to-raw-latex

After:

    git clone
https://github.com/ZelphirKaltstahl/rst-citations-to-raw-latex.git

I already did a test run and it worked well using the following script:

    pandoc \
    --from=rst \
    --preserve-tabs \
    --top-level-division=chapter \
    --standalone \
    --template=template-book-de.latex \
    --latex-engine=xelatex \
    --bibliography=bibliography.bib \
    --natbib \
    --metadata=toc:false \
    --metadata=title:"Citation Example" \
    --metadata=subtitle:"none" \
    --metadata=author:"Zelphir" \
    --metadata=keywords:"citation style" \
    --metadata=subject:"citation" \
    --output citation-example-from-rst.latex \
    citation-example.rst.out

    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo -e "${SUCCESS_COLOR}Successfully${NO_COLOR} created
${HIGHLIGHT_COLOR}citation-example-from-rst.latex${NO_COLOR}"
    else
        echo -e "${ERROR_COLOR}Failed${NO_COLOR} to create
${HIGHLIGHT_COLOR}citation-example-from-rst.latex${NO_COLOR}"
        exit 1
    fi

    latexmk -xelatex citation-example-from-rst.latex

In this case:

    citation-example.rst.out

is the resulting file from the call of my program.

So far the program makes the assumption, that the raw latex role has not
been defined in the rst file yet and simply adds three lines on top of the
file.

@ 2016-11-25 13:59                           ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2016-11-25 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss