* Markdown->LaTeX: incompatible table handling in 1.19
@ 2016-12-16  8:10 Joost Kremers
       [not found] ` <87k2b0z441.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-12-16  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

A few weeks ago, I created a simple Markdown file with only a
single table in it and converted it to pdf. The table is the
following:

| Tag     |   |   |   |   | F-Key |
|---------+---+---+---+---+------:|
| Noun    |   |   |   |   | F1    |
| Pron    |   |   |   |   | ⇧F1   |
| Verb    |   |   |   |   | F2    |
| Aux     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F2   |
| Modal   |   |   |   |   | F3    |
| Adj     |   |   |   |   | F4    |
| Adv     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F4   |
| Det     |   |   |   |   | F5    |
| Quant   |   |   |   |   | ⇧F5   |
| Conj    |   |   |   |   | F6    |
| Prep    |   |   |   |   | F7    |
| PronAdv |   |   |   |   | ⇧F7   |
| Ptcl    |   |   |   |   | F8    |
| Te      |   |   |   |   | ⇧F8   |
| Num     |   |   |   |   | F9    |
| Ij      |   |   |   |   | F10   |
| Trunc   |   |   |   |   | F11   |

(I'm also atting it, in case it doesn't come across here.)

I added the empty columns in order to have some more space between
the two columns. Since there are no verticle lines, that worked
perfectly.

Yesterday, after making some changes to the file, I converted it
to pdf again. To my surprise, the output was very different.
Rather than having a decent-looking table centered on the page,
the table took the entire width of the page, which looked rather
ugly, given that it only has two columns. The effect went away
when I removed the empty columns, but then the two columns were
too narrow for my liking.

I installed Pandoc 1.19 after first creating the file and I
suspect the difference is due to commit bd19176 "LaTeX writer:
ensure that simple tables have simple cells", because when I
checked the LaTeX file, the table had empty minipages in all the
empty cells.

So I'm wondering: is this an unfortunate side-effect of a fix that
is necessary, meaning I should be using a different method to
widen the columns? (I tried widening the columns in the source but
this didn't seem to have any effect.) Or is it a regression that
should be fixed?

Thanks,

Joost

[-- Attachment #2: Dutch_PoS_Set.text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2046 bytes --]

| Tag                                 |                              F-Key |
|-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------:|
| Noun                                |                              F1    |
| Pron                                |                              ⇧F1   |
| Verb                                |                              F2    |
| Aux                                 |                              ⇧F2   |
| Modal                               |                              F3    |
| Adj                                 |                              F4    |
| Adv                                 |                              ⇧F4   |
| Det                                 |                              F5    |
| Quant                               |                              ⇧F5   |
| Conj                                |                              F6    |
| Prep                                |                              F7    |
| PronAdv                             |                              ⇧F7   |
| Ptcl                                |                              F8    |
| Te                                  |                              ⇧F8   |
| Num                                 |                              F9    |
| Ij                                  |                              F10   |
| Trunc                               |                              F11   |

Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Markdown->LaTeX: incompatible table handling in 1.19
       [not found] ` <87k2b0z441.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-16  8:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20161216082003.GG10929-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-12-16  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You should post the revised version of the table, which
caused the problems.  It's impossible to guess what might
be happening otherwise.

My guess is that one of your changes might have made one
of the lines of the table very long?  That triggers a
different behavior in pipe tables (described in the manual).
But easier to comment if you actually show us the
problematic table.

+++ Joost Kremers [Dec 16 16 09:10 ]:

@ 2016-12-16 10:39       ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]         ` <87inqkyx7i.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-12-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Dec 16 2016, John MacFarlane wrote:
> You should post the revised version of the table, which
> caused the problems.  It's impossible to guess what might
> be happening otherwise.

Sorry, I should have made that clear. The only revision was that I
added some rows similar to the ones that were there. In fact, the
version below I sent inline is the revised version. (I
accidentally attached the wrong version, so please don't look at
that version.)

So, to make things clear, this is the revised version that gives
incorrect (IMHO) output with Pandoc 1.19:

| Tag     |   |   |   |   | F-Key |
|---------+---+---+---+---+-------|
| Noun    |   |   |   |   | F1    |
| Pron    |   |   |   |   | ⇧F1   |
| Verb    |   |   |   |   | F2    |
| Aux     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F2   |
| Modal   |   |   |   |   | F3    |
| Adj     |   |   |   |   | F4    |
| Adv     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F4   |
| Det     |   |   |   |   | F5    |
| Quant   |   |   |   |   | ⇧F5   |
| Conj    |   |   |   |   | F6    |
| Prep    |   |   |   |   | F7    |
| PronAdv |   |   |   |   | ⇧F7   |
| Ptcl    |   |   |   |   | F8    |
| Te      |   |   |   |   | ⇧F8   |
| Num     |   |   |   |   | F9    |
| Ij      |   |   |   |   | F10   |
| Trunc   |   |   |   |   | F11   |

The original version (that was fine with Pandoc 1.18) was
identical except for the fact that it had two or three fewer rows.

I'm attaching the table as well (this time I'll make sure it's the
correct one).

The relevant factor seems to be the presence of empty columns. If
I have at least one empty column, the LaTeX code uses a minipage
for each cell. If there are no empty columns, there are no
minipages.

Thanks,

Joost

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

[-- Attachment #2: Dutch_PoS_Set.text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1267 bytes --]

| Tag     |   |   |   |   | F-Key |
|---------+---+---+---+---+-------|
| Noun    |   |   |   |   | F1    |
| Pron    |   |   |   |   | ⇧F1   |
| Verb    |   |   |   |   | F2    |
| Aux     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F2   |
| Modal   |   |   |   |   | F3    |
| Adj     |   |   |   |   | F4    |
| Adv     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F4   |
| Det     |   |   |   |   | F5    |
| Quant   |   |   |   |   | ⇧F5   |
| Conj    |   |   |   |   | F6    |
| Prep    |   |   |   |   | F7    |
| PronAdv |   |   |   |   | ⇧F7   |
| Ptcl    |   |   |   |   | F8    |
| Te      |   |   |   |   | ⇧F8   |
| Num     |   |   |   |   | F9    |
| Ij      |   |   |   |   | F10   |
| Trunc   |   |   |   |   | F11   |

@ 2016-12-16 11:06           ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]             ` <CAFC_yuQyXeoK92aJZGp8AVCp=6zzxgo1OSJyZDw=Arg97+e+kg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-12-16 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have run into something similar. With 1.19 tables in PDFs always take up
the whole width of the page. It also seems like relative table widths where
some columns are very narrow and some very wide cause a lot of whitespace
to be inserted after the narrow columns while the columns which should be
wide aren't very wide. For reasons of confidentiality I can't attach any of
the actual tables concerned but I'll try to put together a mwe later.
Joost, does this sound like what you are experiencing?

/bpj

@ 2016-12-16 11:14               ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-12-16 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Dec 16 2016, BP Jonsson wrote:
> I have run into something similar. With 1.19 tables in PDFs
> always take up
> the whole width of the page. It also seems like relative table
> widths where
> some columns are very narrow and some very wide cause a lot of
> whitespace
> to be inserted after the narrow columns while the columns which
> should be
> wide aren't very wide. For reasons of confidentiality I can't
> attach any of
> the actual tables concerned but I'll try to put together a mwe
> later.
> Joost, does this sound like what you are experiencing?

Basically, yes. My case just involves empty cells, and the only
effect I observed is that the tables suddenly span the entire
width of the page, adding a lot of whitespace between columns.

Relative column width don't seem to work with the tables I'm using
(pipe tables, more specifically, Org-mode's variant of pipe
tables), so I can't confirm your other observations, but I suspect
they are all due to the same change.

--

@ 2016-12-16 13:04           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20161216130441.GA76126-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-12-16 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I see the problem.  The function that determines whether
it's a "plain" table (i.e. whether it will be fine without
parboxes) doesn't allow an empty cell.  This is a one-line
fix, which I've just pushed to master.

+++ Joost Kremers [Dec 16 16 11:39 ]:

@ 2016-12-16 17:32               ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                 ` <bd558d49-1592-de36-a4c3-bbdc88359b96-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-12-16 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-12-16 kl. 14:04, skrev John MacFarlane:
> I see the problem.  The function that determines whether
> it's a "plain" table (i.e. whether it will be fine without
> parboxes) doesn't allow an empty cell.  This is a one-line
> fix, which I've just pushed to master.

That will be it. All my affected tables have a rightmost column
which is empty for most rows.

Would it be reasonably safe to build from dev at this point,
or alternatively can we expect a release soonish (say early to mid
January)?

/bpj

@ 2016-12-16 20:00                   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]                     ` <224ddf8d-1b93-122d-93bc-966587bc0a13-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-12-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just tried to build from dev.  I got a number of test failures
for pandoc and pandoc-citeproc wouldn't build at all.
Logs attached.

/bpj

Den 2016-12-16 kl. 18:32, skrev BP Jonsson:
> Den 2016-12-16 kl. 14:04, skrev John MacFarlane:
>> I see the problem.  The function that determines whether
>> it's a "plain" table (i.e. whether it will be fine without
>> parboxes) doesn't allow an empty cell.  This is a one-line
>> fix, which I've just pushed to master.
>
> That will be it. All my affected tables have a rightmost column
> which is empty for most rows.
>
> Would it be reasonably safe to build from dev at this point,
> or alternatively can we expect a release soonish (say early to mid
> January)?
>
> /bpj
>

>> +++ Joost Kremers [Dec 16 16 11:39 ]:

>>> Sorry, I should have made that clear. The only revision was that
>>> I added some rows similar to the ones that were there. In fact,
>>> the version below I sent inline is the revised version. (I
>>> accidentally attached the wrong version, so please don't look at
>>> that version.)
>>>
>>> So, to make things clear, this is the revised version that gives
>>> incorrect (IMHO) output with Pandoc 1.19:
>>>
>>> | Tag     |   |   |   |   | F-Key |
>>> |---------+---+---+---+---+-------|
>>> | Noun    |   |   |   |   | F1    |
>>> | Pron    |   |   |   |   | ⇧F1   |
>>> | Verb    |   |   |   |   | F2    |
>>> | Aux     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F2   |
>>> | Modal   |   |   |   |   | F3    |
>>> | Adj     |   |   |   |   | F4    |
>>> | Adv     |   |   |   |   | ⇧F4   |
>>> | Det     |   |   |   |   | F5    |
>>> | Quant   |   |   |   |   | ⇧F5   |
>>> | Conj    |   |   |   |   | F6    |
>>> | Prep    |   |   |   |   | F7    |
>>> | PronAdv |   |   |   |   | ⇧F7   |
>>> | Ptcl    |   |   |   |   | F8    |
>>> | Te      |   |   |   |   | ⇧F8   |
>>> | Num     |   |   |   |   | F9    |
>>> | Ij      |   |   |   |   | F10   |
>>> | Trunc   |   |   |   |   | F11   |
>>>
>>> The original version (that was fine with Pandoc 1.18) was
>>> identical except for the fact that it had two or three fewer rows.
>>>
>>> I'm attaching the table as well (this time I'll make sure it's
>>> the correct one).
>>>
>>> The relevant factor seems to be the presence of empty columns.
>>> If I have at least one empty column, the LaTeX code uses a
>>> minipage for each cell. If there are no empty columns, there are
> [...]

[-- Attachment #2: pandoc-1.19.1-test.log --]
[-- Type: text/x-log; name="pandoc-1.19.1-test.log", Size: 30757 bytes --]

Old:
  markdown:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      lhs to normal: [OK]
      lhs to lhs: [OK]
    reader:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      pipe tables: [OK]
      more: [OK]
      lhs: [OK]
    citations:
      citations: [OK]
  rst:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      lhs to normal: [OK]
      lhs to lhs: [OK]
    reader:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      lhs: [OK]
  latex:
    writer:
      basic: [Failed]

--- writer.latex
+++ /home/benct/pandoc-build/pandoc/.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.0.0/build/pandoc/pandoc --data-dir ../data testsuite.native -r native -w latex --columns=78 --variable pandoc-version= -s
-  65 % set default figure placement to htbp
-  66 \makeatletter
-  67 \def\fps@figure{htbp}
-  68 \makeatother
-  69
-  70
      tables: [OK]
      lhs to normal: [Failed]

--- lhs-test.latex
+++ /home/benct/pandoc-build/pandoc/.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.0.0/build/pandoc/pandoc --data-dir ../data lhs-test.native --wrap=preserve -r native -s -w latex
-  87 % set default figure placement to htbp
-  88 \makeatletter
-  89 \def\fps@figure{htbp}
-  90 \makeatother
-  91
-  92
      lhs to lhs: [Failed]

--- lhs-test.latex+lhs
+++ /home/benct/pandoc-build/pandoc/.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.0.0/build/pandoc/pandoc --data-dir ../data lhs-test.native --wrap=preserve -r native -s -w latex+lhs
-  51 % set default figure placement to htbp
-  52 \makeatletter
-  53 \def\fps@figure{htbp}
-  54 \makeatother
-  55
-  56
    reader:
      basic: [OK]
      lhs: [OK]
  html:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      lhs to normal: [OK]
      lhs to lhs: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  s5:
    s5 writer (basic): [OK]
    s5 writer (fancy): [OK]
    html writer (fragment): [OK]
    html writer (inserts): [OK]
  textile:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  docbook:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  docbook5:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
  native:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  fb2:
    basic: [OK]
    titles: [OK]
    images: [OK]
    images-embedded: [OK]
    math: [OK]
    tables: [OK]
    testsuite: [OK]
  mediawiki:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  dokuwiki:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    inline_formatting: [OK]
    multiblock table: [OK]
    external images: [OK]
  opml:
    basic: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  haddock:
    writer:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    reader: [OK]
  txt2tags:
    reader: [OK]
  epub:
    features: [OK]
    wasteland: [OK]
    formatting: [OK]
  twiki:
    reader: [OK]
  other writers:
    opendocument:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    context:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    texinfo:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    icml:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    tei:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    man:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    plain:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    rtf:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    org:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    asciidoc:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
    zimwiki:
      basic: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
  writers-lang-and-dir:
    latex: [Failed]

--- writers-lang-and-dir.latex
+++ /home/benct/pandoc-build/pandoc/.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.0.0/build/pandoc/pandoc --data-dir ../data writers-lang-and-dir.native -f native -t latex -s
-  80 % set default figure placement to htbp
-  81 \makeatletter
-  82 \def\fps@figure{htbp}
-  83 \makeatother
-  84
-  85
    context: [OK]
Shared:
  normalize:
    p_normalize_blocks_rt: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    p_normalize_inlines_rt: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    p_normalize_no_trailing_spaces: [OK, passed 100 tests]
  compactify'DL:
    compactify'DL with empty def: [OK]
  collapseFilePath:
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
    collapse: [OK]
Walk:
  Walk:
    p_walk inlineTrans: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    p_walk blockTrans: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    p_query inlineQuery: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    p_query blockQuery: [OK, passed 100 tests]
Writers:
  Native:
    p_write_rt: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    p_write_blocks_rt: [OK, passed 100 tests]
  ConTeXt:
    inline code:
      with '}': [OK]
      without '}': [OK]
      code property: [OK, passed 100 tests]
    headers:
      level 1: [OK]
    bullet lists:
      nested: [OK]
  LaTeX:
    code blocks:
      in footnotes: [OK]
      identifier: [OK]
      no identifier: [OK]
    definition lists:
      with internal link: [OK]
    math:
      escape |: [OK]
    headers:
      unnumbered header: [OK]
      in list item: [OK]
      in definition list item: [OK]
      containing image: [OK]
    inline code:
      struck out and highlighted: [OK]
      struck out and not highlighted: [OK]
      single quotes: [OK]
      backtick: [OK]
    writer options:
      top-level division:
        sections as top-level: [OK]
        chapters as top-level: [OK]
        parts as top-level: [OK]
        default top-level: [OK]
        sections as top-level in beamer: [OK]
        chapters are as part in beamer: [OK]
        parts as top-level in beamer: [OK]
        default top-level in beamer: [OK]
        part top-level, section not in toc: [OK]
  HTML:
    inline code:
      basic: [OK]
      haskell: [OK]
      nolanguage: [OK]
    images:
      alt with formatting: [OK]
  Docbook:
    line blocks:
      none: [OK]
      basic: [OK]
      blockquote: [OK]
      footnote: [OK]
    compact lists:
      bullet:
        compact: [OK]
        loose: [OK]
      ordered:
        compact: [OK]
        loose: [OK]
      definition:
        compact: [OK]
        loose: [OK]
    writer options:
      top-level division:
        sections as top-level: [OK]
        chapters as top-level: [OK]
        parts as top-level: [OK]
        default top-level: [OK]
  Markdown:
    indented code after list: [OK]
    list with tight sublist: [OK]
    note and reference location:
      footnotes at the end of a document: [OK]
      footnotes at the end of blocks: [OK]
      footnotes and reference links at the end of blocks: [OK]
      footnotes at the end of section: [OK]
    Shortcut reference links:
      Simple link (shortcutable): [OK]
      Followed by another link (unshortcutable): [OK]
      Followed by space and another link (unshortcutable): [OK]
      Reference link is used multiple times (unshortcutable): [OK]
      Reference link is used multiple times (unshortcutable): [OK]
      Reference link is followed by text in brackets: [OK]
      Reference link is followed by space and text in brackets: [OK]
      Reference link is followed by RawInline: [OK]
      Reference link is followed by space and RawInline: [OK]
      Reference link is followed by RawInline with space: [OK]
      Reference link is followed by citation: [OK]
      Reference link is followed by space and citation: [OK]
  Plain:
    strongly emphasized text to uppercase: [OK]
  AsciiDoc:
    emphasis:
      emph word before: [OK]
      emph word after: [OK]
      emph quoted: [OK]
      strong word before: [OK]
      strong word after: [OK]
      strong quoted: [OK]
    tables:
      empty cells: [OK]
      multiblock cells: [OK]
  Docx:
    inlines:
      font formatting: [OK]
      font formatting with character styles: [OK]
      hyperlinks: [OK]
      inline image: [OK]
      inline image in links: [OK]
      handling unicode input: [OK]
      literal tabs: [OK]
      normalizing inlines: [OK]
      normalizing inlines deep inside blocks: [OK]
      move trailing spaces outside of formatting: [OK]
      inline code (with VerbatimChar style): [OK]
      inline code in subscript and superscript: [OK]
    blocks:
      headers: [OK]
      headers already having auto identifiers: [OK]
      numbered headers automatically made into list: [OK]
      i18n blocks (headers and blockquotes): [OK]
      lists: [OK]
      definition lists: [OK]
      custom defined lists in styles: [OK]
      footnotes and endnotes: [OK]
      blockquotes (parsing indent as blockquote): [OK]
      hanging indents: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      tables with lists in cells: [OK]
      code block: [OK]
      dropcap paragraphs: [OK]
    metadata:
      metadata fields: [OK]
      stop recording metadata with normal text: [OK]
    customized styles:
      simple customized blocks and inlines: [OK]
  RST:
    rubrics:
      in list item: [OK]
      in definition list item: [OK]
      in block quote: [OK]
      with id: [OK]
      with id class: [OK]
    headings:
      normal heading: [OK]
      heading levels: [OK]
      minimal heading levels: [OK]
  TEI:
    block elements:
      para: [OK]
    inlines:
      Emphasis: [OK]
      SingleQuoted: [OK]
      DoubleQuoted: [OK]
      NestedQuoted: [OK]
Readers:
  LaTeX:
    basic:
      simple: [OK]
      space: [OK]
      emphasized: [OK]
    headers:
      level 1: [OK]
      level 2: [OK]
      level 3: [OK]
      emph: [OK]
      link: [OK]
    math:
      escaped $: [OK]
    space and comments:
      blank lines + space at beginning: [OK]
      blank lines + space + comments: [OK]
      comment in paragraph: [OK]
    code blocks:
      identifier: [OK]
      no identifier: [OK]
    tables:
      Single cell table: [OK]
      Multi cell table: [OK]
      Multi line table: [OK]
      Empty table: [OK]
      Table with fixed column width: [OK]
      Table with empty column separators: [OK]
      Table with custom column separators: [OK]
      Table with vertical alignment argument: [OK]
    citations:
      natbib:
        citet: [OK]
        suffix: [OK]
        suffix long: [OK]
        multiple: [OK]
        group: [OK]
        suffix and locator: [OK]
        suffix only: [OK]
        no author: [OK]
        markup: [OK]
      biblatex:
        textcite: [OK]
        suffix: [OK]
        suffix long: [OK]
        multiple: [OK]
        group: [OK]
        suffix and locator: [OK]
        suffix only: [OK]
        no author: [OK]
        markup: [OK]
        parencite: [OK]
    Character Escapes:
      Two-character escapes: [OK]
      One-character escapes: [OK]
  Markdown:
    inline code:
      with attribute: [OK]
      with attribute space: [OK]
    emph and strong:
      two strongs in emph: [OK]
      emph and strong emph alternating: [OK]
      emph with spaced strong: [OK]
      intraword underscore with opening underscore (#1121): [OK]
    raw LaTeX:
      in URL: [OK]
    raw HTML:
      nesting (issue #1330): [OK]
      invalid tag (issue #1820: [OK]
      technically invalid comment: [OK]
      issue 2469: [OK]
    raw email addresses:
      issue 2940: [OK]
    emoji:
      emoji symbols: [OK]
    unbalanced brackets: [OK]
    backslash escapes:
      in URL: [OK]
      in title: [OK]
      in reference link title: [OK]
      in reference link URL: [OK]
    bare URIs:
      http://google.com is a search engine.: [OK]
      Try this query: http://google.com?search=fish&time=hour.: [OK]
      HTTPS://GOOGLE.COM,: [OK]
      http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Τεχνολογία,: [OK]
      doi:10.1000/182,: [OK]
      git://github.com/foo/bar.git,: [OK]
      file:///Users/joe/joe.txt, and: [OK]
      mailto:someone-omLZJFyqO6vJGjvyiQTEsA@public.gmane.org: [OK]
      Use http: this is not a link!: [OK]
      (http://google.com).: [OK]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics): [OK]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_[computer_graphics]: [OK]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_{computer_graphics}: [OK]
      http://example.com/Notification_Center-GitHub-20101108-140050.jpg: [OK]
      https://github.com/github/hubot/blob/master/scripts/cream.js#L20-20: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com:80: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/~minam: [OK]
      https://www.rubyonrails.com/~minam: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/~minam/url%20with%20spaces: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/foo.cgi?something=here: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/foo.cgi?something=here&and=here: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/contact;new: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/contact;new%20with%20spaces: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/contact;new?with=query&string=params: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com/~minam/contact;new?with=query&string=params: [OK]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Today%27s_featured_picture_%28animation%29/January_20%2C_2007: [OK]
      http://www.mail-archive.com/rails-1W37MKcQCpIf0INCOvqR/iCwEArCW2h5@public.gmane.org/: [OK]
      http://www.amazon.com/Testing-Equal-Sign-In-Path/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198861734&sr=8-1: [OK]
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_hold%27em: [OK]
      https://www.google.com/doku.php?id=gps:resource:scs:start: [OK]
      http://www.rubyonrails.com: [OK]
      http://manuals.ruby-on-rails.com/read/chapter.need_a-period/103#page281: [OK]
      http://foo.example.com/controller/action?parm=value&p2=v2#anchor123: [OK]
      http://foo.example.com:3000/controller/action: [OK]
      http://foo.example.com:3000/controller/action+pack: [OK]
      http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9065-2473189,00.html: [OK]
      http://www.mail-archive.com/ruby-talk-X+L+6nJQZ58h9ZMKESR00Q@public.gmane.org/: [OK]
      https://example.org/?anchor=lala-: [OK]
      https://example.org/?anchor=-lala: [OK]
    autolinks:
      with unicode dash following: [OK]
      a partial URL (#2277): [OK]
      with some attributes: [OK]
      with some attributes and spaces: [OK]
    links:
      no autolink inside link: [OK]
      no inline link inside link: [OK]
      no bare URI inside link: [OK]
    Headers:
      blank line before header: [OK]
      bracketed text (#2062): [OK]
      ATX header without trailing #s: [OK]
      ATX header without trailing #s: [OK]
      setext header: [OK]
    Implicit header references:
      ATX header without trailing #s: [OK]
      ATX header with trailing #s: [OK]
      setext header: [OK]
    smart punctuation:
      quote before ellipses: [OK]
      apostrophe before emph: [OK]
      apostrophe in French: [OK]
      apostrophe after math: [OK]
    footnotes:
      indent followed by newline and flush-left text: [OK]
      indent followed by newline and indented text: [OK]
      recursive note: [OK]
    lhs:
      inverse bird tracks and html: [OK]
    definition lists:
      no blank space: [OK]
      blank space before first def: [OK]
      blank space before second def: [OK]
      laziness: [OK]
      no blank space before first of two paragraphs: [OK]
      first line not indented: [OK]
      list in definition: [OK]
      in div: [OK]
    +compact_definition_lists:
      basic compact list: [OK]
    lists:
      issue #1154: [OK]
      issue #1636: [OK]
    entities:
      character references: [OK]
      numeric: [OK]
      in link title: [OK]
    citations:
      simple: [OK]
      key starts with digit: [OK]
    footnote/link following citation:
      footnote: [OK]
      normal link: [OK]
      reference link: [OK]
      short reference link: [OK]
      implicit header link: [OK]
      regular citation: [OK]
  HTML:
    base tag:
      simple: [OK]
      slash at end of base: [OK]
      slash at beginning of href: [OK]
      absolute URL: [OK]
    anchors:
      anchor without href: [OK]
  Org:
    Inlines:
      Plain String: [OK]
      Emphasis: [OK]
      Strong: [OK]
      Strong Emphasis: [OK]
      Strikeout: [OK]
      Verbatim: [OK]
      Code: [OK]
      Math $..$: [OK]
      Math $$..$$: [OK]
      Math \[..\]: [OK]
      Math \(..\): [OK]
      Symbol: [OK]
      Superscript simple expression: [OK]
      Superscript multi char: [OK]
      Subscript simple expression: [OK]
      Subscript multi char: [OK]
      Linebreak: [OK]
      Inline note: [OK]
      Markup-chars not occuring on word break are symbols: [OK]
      No empty markup: [OK]
      Adherence to Org's rules for markup borders: [OK]
      Quotes are forbidden border chars: [OK]
      Commata are forbidden border chars: [OK]
      Markup should work properly after a blank line: [OK]
      Inline math must stay within three lines: [OK]
      Single-character math: [OK]
      Markup may not span more than two lines: [OK]
      Sub- and superscript expressions: [OK]
      Verbatim text can contain equal signes (=): [OK]
      Images:
        Image: [OK]
        Image with explicit file: prefix: [OK]
        Multiple images within a paragraph: [OK]
        Image with html attributes: [OK]
      Explicit link: [OK]
      Self-link: [OK]
      Absolute file link: [OK]
      Link to file in parent directory: [OK]
      Empty link (for gitit interop): [OK]
      Image link: [OK]
      Image link with non-image target: [OK]
      Plain link: [OK]
      Angle link: [OK]
      Absolute file link: [OK]
      File link: [OK]
      Anchor: [OK]
      Inline code block: [OK]
      Inline code block with arguments: [OK]
      Inline code block with toggle: [OK]
      Citation: [OK]
      Citation containing text: [OK]
      Org-ref simple citation: [OK]
      Org-ref simple citep citation: [OK]
      Org-ref extended citation: [OK]
      Berkeley-style citations:
        Berkeley-style in-text citation: [OK]
        Berkeley-style parenthetical citation list: [OK]
        Berkeley-style plain citation list: [OK]
      Inline LaTeX symbol: [OK]
      Inline LaTeX command: [OK]
      Inline LaTeX command with spaces: [OK]
      Inline LaTeX math symbol: [OK]
      Unknown inline LaTeX command: [OK]
      Export snippet: [OK]
      MathML symbol in LaTeX-style: [OK]
      MathML symbol in LaTeX-style, including braces: [OK]
      MathML copy sign: [OK]
      MathML symbols, space separated: [OK]
      LaTeX citation: [OK]
    Meta Information:
      Comment: [OK]
      Not a comment: [OK]
      Comment surrounded by Text: [OK]
      Title: [OK]
      Multiple authors: [OK]
      Date: [OK]
      Properties drawer: [OK]
      LaTeX_headers options are translated to header-includes: [OK]
      LaTeX_class option is translated to documentclass: [OK]
      LaTeX_class_options is translated to classoption: [OK]
      LaTeX_class_options is translated to classoption: [OK]
      later meta definitions take precedence: [OK]
      Logbook drawer: [OK]
      Drawer surrounded by text: [OK]
      Drawer markers must be the only text in the line: [OK]
      Drawers can be arbitrary: [OK]
      Anchor reference: [OK]
      Search links are read as emph: [OK]
      Link to nonexistent anchor: [OK]
      Link abbreviation: [OK]
      Link abbreviation, defined after first use: [OK]
      Link abbreviation, URL encoded arguments: [OK]
      Link abbreviation, append arguments: [OK]
      export options:
        disable simple sub/superscript syntax: [OK]
        directly select drawers to be exported: [OK]
        exclude drawers from being exported: [OK]
        don't include archive trees: [OK]
        include complete archive trees: [OK]
        include archive tree header only: [OK]
        limit headline depth: [OK]
        disable author export: [OK]
        disable creator export: [OK]
        disable email export: [OK]
        disable inclusion of todo keywords: [OK]
    Basic Blocks:
      Paragraph: [OK]
      headers:
        First Level Header: [OK]
        Third Level Header: [OK]
        Compact Headers with Paragraph: [OK]
        Separated Headers with Paragraph: [OK]
        Headers not preceded by a blank line: [OK]
        Todo keywords:
          Header with known todo keyword: [OK]
          Header marked as done: [OK]
          Header with unknown todo keyword: [OK]
          Custom todo keywords: [OK]
          Custom todo keywords with multiple done-states: [OK]
        Tagged headers: [OK]
        Untagged header containing colons: [OK]
        Header starting with strokeout text: [OK]
        Comment Trees: [OK]
        Nothing but a COMMENT header: [OK]
        Tree with :noexport:: [OK]
        Subtree with :noexport:: [OK]
        Preferences are treated as header attributes: [OK]
        Headers marked with a unnumbered property get a class of the same name: [OK]
      Paragraph starting with an asterisk: [OK]
      Paragraph containing asterisk at beginning of line: [OK]
      Example block: [OK]
      Example block surrounded by text: [OK]
      Horizontal Rule: [OK]
      Not a Horizontal Rule: [OK]
      Comment Block: [OK]
      Figures:
        Figure: [OK]
        Figure with no name: [OK]
        Figure with `fig:` prefix in name: [OK]
        Figure with HTML attributes: [OK]
        Labelled figure: [OK]
        Figure with empty caption: [OK]
      Footnote: [OK]
      Two footnotes: [OK]
      Footnote followed by header: [OK]
    Lists:
      Simple Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Indented Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Unindented *: [OK]
      Multi-line Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Nested Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Bullet List with Decreasing Indent: [OK]
      Header follows Bullet List: [OK]
      Bullet List Unindented with trailing Header: [OK]
      Simple Ordered List: [OK]
      Simple Ordered List with Parens: [OK]
      Indented Ordered List: [OK]
      Nested Ordered Lists: [OK]
      Ordered List in Bullet List: [OK]
      Bullet List in Ordered List: [OK]
      Definition List: [OK]
      Definition list with multi-word term: [OK]
      Compact definition list: [OK]
      Definition List With Trailing Header: [OK]
      Definition lists double-colon markers must be surrounded by whitespace: [OK]
      Loose bullet list: [OK]
      Recognize preceding paragraphs in non-list contexts: [OK]
    Tables:
      Single cell table: [OK]
      Multi cell table: [OK]
      Multi line table: [OK]
      Empty table: [OK]
      Glider Table: [OK]
      Table between Paragraphs: [OK]
      Table with Header: [OK]
      Table with final hline: [OK]
      Table in a box: [OK]
      Table with empty cells: [OK]
      Table with empty rows: [OK]
      Table with alignment row: [OK]
      Pipe within text doesn't start a table: [OK]
      Missing pipe at end of row: [OK]
      Table with differing row lengths: [OK]
      Table with caption: [OK]
    Blocks and fragments:
      Source block: [OK]
      Source block with indented code: [OK]
      Source block with tab-indented code: [OK]
      Empty source block: [OK]
      Source block between paragraphs: [OK]
      Source block with rundoc/babel arguments: [OK]
      Source block with results and :exports both: [OK]
      Source block with results and :exports code: [OK]
      Source block with results and :exports results: [OK]
      Source block with results and :exports none: [OK]
      Source block with toggling header arguments: [OK]
      Example block: [OK]
      HTML block: [OK]
      Quote block: [OK]
      Verse block: [OK]
      Verse block with blank lines: [OK]
      Verse block with varying indentation: [OK]
      Raw block LaTeX: [OK]
      Export block HTML: [OK]
      LaTeX fragment: [OK]
      Code block with caption: [OK]
      Convert blank lines in blocks to single newlines: [OK]
      Accept `ATTR_HTML` attributes for generic block: [OK]
      Non-letter chars in source block parameters: [OK]
    Smart punctuation:
      quote before ellipses: [OK]
      apostrophe before emph: [OK]
      apostrophe in French: [OK]
      Quotes cannot occur at the end of emphasized text: [OK]
      Dashes are allowed at the borders of emphasis': [OK]
      Single quotes can be followed by emphasized text: [OK]
      Double quotes can be followed by emphasized text: [OK]
  RST:
    line block with blank line: [OK]
    field list:
      general: [OK]
      metadata: [OK]
      with inline markup: [OK]
    URLs with following punctuation: [OK]
    Reference names with special characters: [OK]
    Code directive with class and number-lines: [OK]
    Code directive with number-lines, no line specified: [OK]
    literal / line / code blocks:
      indented literal block: [OK]
      line block with 3 lines: [OK]
      quoted literal block using >: [OK]
      quoted literal block using | (not  a line block): [OK]
      class directive with single paragraph: [OK]
      class directive with two paragraphs: [OK]
      class directive around literal block: [OK]
    interpreted text roles:
      literal role prefix: [OK]
      literal role postfix: [OK]
      literal text: [OK]
      code role: [OK]
      inherited code role: [OK]
      custom code role with language field: [OK]
      custom role with unspecified parent role: [OK]
      role with recursive inheritance: [OK]
      unknown role: [OK]
    footnotes:
      remove space before note: [OK]
  Docx:
    inlines:
      font formatting: [OK]
      font formatting with character styles: [OK]
      hyperlinks: [OK]
      normalizing adjacent hyperlinks: [OK]
      inline image: [OK]
      VML image: [OK]
      inline image in links: [OK]
      handling unicode input: [OK]
      literal tabs: [OK]
      special punctuation: [OK]
      normalizing inlines: [OK]
      normalizing inlines deep inside blocks: [OK]
      move trailing spaces outside of formatting: [OK]
      inline code (with VerbatimChar style): [OK]
      inline code in subscript and superscript: [OK]
    blocks:
      headers: [OK]
      headers already having auto identifiers: [OK]
      nested anchor spans in header: [OK]
      single numbered item not made into list: [OK]
      enumerated headers not made into numbered list: [OK]
      i18n blocks (headers and blockquotes): [OK]
      lists: [OK]
      definition lists: [OK]
      custom defined lists in styles: [OK]
      user deletes bullet after list item (=> part of item par): [OK]
      user deletes bullet after par (=> new par): [OK]
      footnotes and endnotes: [OK]
      links in footnotes and endnotes: [OK]
      blockquotes (parsing indent as blockquote): [OK]
      hanging indents: [OK]
      tables: [OK]
      tables with lists in cells: [OK]
      tables with one row: [OK]
      code block: [OK]
      dropcap paragraphs: [OK]
    track changes:
      insertion (default): [OK]
      insert insertion (accept): [OK]
      remove insertion (reject): [OK]
      deletion (default): [OK]
      remove deletion (accept): [OK]
      insert deletion (reject): [OK]
      keep insertion (all): [OK]
      keep deletion (all): [OK]
      move text (accept): [OK]
      move text (reject): [OK]
      move text (all): [OK]
      comments (accept -- no comments): [OK]
      comments (reject -- comments): [OK]
      comments (all comments): [OK]
      comment warnings (accept -- no warnings): [OK]
      comment warnings (reject -- no warnings): [OK]
      comment warnings (all): [OK]
    media:
      image extraction: [OK]
    metadata:
      metadata fields: [OK]
      stop recording metadata with normal text: [OK]
  Odt:
    bold: [OK]
    endnote: [OK]
    externalLink: [OK]
    footnote: [OK]
    headers: [OK]
    italic: [OK]
    paragraph: [OK]
    strikeout: [OK]
    underlined: [OK]
    blockquote: [OK]
    image: [OK]
    imageIndex: [OK]
    imageWithCaption: [OK]
    inlinedCode: [OK]
    orderedListMixed: [OK]
    orderedListRoman: [OK]
    orderedListSimple: [OK]
    referenceToChapter: [OK]
    referenceToListItem: [OK]
    referenceToText: [OK]
    simpleTable: [OK]
    simpleTableWithCaption: [OK]
    textMixedStyles: [OK]
    tableWithContents: [OK]
    unicode: [OK]
    unorderedList: [OK]
  Txt2Tags:
    Inlines:
      Plain String: [OK]
      Emphasis: [OK]
      Strong: [OK]
      Strong Emphasis: [OK]
      Strikeout: [OK]
      Verbatim: [OK]
      Symbol: [OK]
      No empty markup: [OK]
      Inline markup is greedy: [OK]
      Markup must be greedy: [OK]
      Inlines must be glued: [OK]
      Macros: Date: [OK]
      Macros: Mod Time: [OK]
      Macros: Infile: [OK]
      Macros: Outfile: [OK]
      Autolink: [OK]
      Image: [OK]
      Link: [OK]
      Image link: [OK]
      Invalid link: No trailing space: [OK]
    Basic Blocks:
      Paragraph, lines grouped together: [OK]
      Paragraph, ignore leading and trailing spaces: [OK]
      Comment line in paragraph: [OK]
      Paragraph: [OK]
      First Level Header: [OK]
      Third Level Header: [OK]
      Header with label: [OK]
      Invalid header, mismatched delimiters: [OK]
      Invalid header, spaces in label: [OK]
      Invalid header, invalid label character: [OK]
      Headers not preceded by a blank line: [OK]
      Paragraph starting with an equals: [OK]
      Paragraph containing asterisk at beginning of line: [OK]
      Horizontal Rule: [OK]
      Comment Block: [OK]
    Lists:
      Simple Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Indented Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Nested Bullet Lists: [OK]
      Simple Ordered List: [OK]
      Indented Ordered List: [OK]
      Nested Ordered Lists: [OK]
      Ordered List in Bullet List: [OK]
      Bullet List in Ordered List: [OK]
      Definition List: [OK]
      Loose bullet list: [OK]
    Tables:
      Single cell table: [OK]
      Multi cell table: [OK]
      Multi line table: [OK]
      Empty table: [OK]
      Glider Table: [OK]
      Table with Header: [OK]
      Table alignment determined by spacing: [OK]
      Pipe within text doesn't start a table: [OK]
      Table with differing row lengths: [OK]
    Blocks and fragments:
      Source block: [OK]
      tagged block: [OK]
      Quote block: [OK]
  EPUB:
    EPUB Mediabag:
      features bag: [OK]

         Properties   Test Cases    Total
 Passed  10           744           754
 Failed  0            4             4
 Total   10           748           758

[-- Attachment #3: pandoc-citeproc-0.10.3.log --]
[-- Type: text/x-log, Size: 78 bytes --]

Preprocessing library pandoc-citeproc-0.10.3...
ghc: could not execute: cpphs

* Re: Markdown->LaTeX: incompatible table handling in 1.19 WORKAROUND
       [not found]                     ` <224ddf8d-1b93-122d-93bc-966587bc0a13-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-16 20:36                       ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-12-16 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I just found that putting a no-break space in otherwise empty
cells does the trick. It must be an actual U+00A0 though, a
backslash followed by a space won't work.

/bpj

@ 2016-12-16 20:55                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-12-16 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ BP Jonsson [Dec 16 16 18:32 ]:
>Den 2016-12-16 kl. 14:04, skrev John MacFarlane:
>>I see the problem.  The function that determines whether
>>it's a "plain" table (i.e. whether it will be fine without
>>parboxes) doesn't allow an empty cell.  This is a one-line
>>fix, which I've just pushed to master.
>
>That will be it. All my affected tables have a rightmost column which
>is empty for most rows.
>
>Would it be reasonably safe to build from dev at this point,
>or alternatively can we expect a release soonish (say early to mid
>January)?

Should be safe and unproblematic to build from master.
All the crazy stuff is happening on a different branch.

@ 2016-12-16 20:58                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20161216205807.GB15292-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-12-16 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The build failures are probably because you didn't do
'git submodule update' to get latest templates.

The pandoc-citeproc issue -- are you on osx?
There's a workaround for funky cpp on osx.

Add to your stack.yaml

ghc-options:
  pandoc-citeproc:  '-pgmP cpphs -optP--cpp'
  highlighting-kate: '-pgmP cpphs -optP--cpp'

+++ BP Jonsson [Dec 16 16 21:00 ]:

@ 2016-12-16 21:39                           ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2016-12-16 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Den 2016-12-16 kl. 21:58, skrev John MacFarlane:
> The build failures are probably because you didn't do
> 'git submodule update' to get latest templates.

My script should have done that. I'll investigate.

> The pandoc-citeproc issue -- are you on osx?

No. Ubuntu 14.04 on this machine.