* Assistance with Math in docx
@ 2017-01-18 16:44 nenad.gal-lizYA0Ku4pEsXMjTw6Upulpr/1R2p/CL
       [not found] ` <0704b7c4-16e6-483a-a6b8-44b792baf3ff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: nenad.gal-lizYA0Ku4pEsXMjTw6Upulpr/1R2p/CL @ 2017-01-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there,

I'm using pandoc to read academic papers and recently I've run into a
problem with some equations not showing up in the output.
The problematic equation can be found in the attached file. I undestand
that docx reader can't read mathType but on stackoverflow someone mentioned
that something should be visible in the native output and then by writing a
filter I could eventually get something out of it. But when I do 'pandoc -t
native document.docx' I don't get anything for the equation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[-- Attachment #2: document.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 17960 bytes --]

* Re: Assistance with Math in docx
       [not found] ` <0704b7c4-16e6-483a-a6b8-44b792baf3ff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-19  9:29   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-01-19  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK, this is interesting.  The texmath library which we use
to parse oMath elements works fine on this math.  But for
some reason pandoc isn't trying to convert it.

I think I see why.  In the xml in your Word document,
the namespace is declared directly on the oMath tag rather
than in the root tag:

<m:oMath
  xmlns:m="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/math">

It looks like the reader is assuming that all namespaces
will be declared on the root (w:document) tag, and that's
why it isn't recognizing this.

This should be easy to fix.  Can you tell me how you
generated this Word file?  Was it made with Word (and if
so what version), or generated by pandoc or another tool?

+++ nenad.gal-lizYA0Ku4pEsXMjTw6Upulpr/1R2p/CL@public.gmane.org [Jan 18 17 08:44 ]:

@ 2017-01-19  9:44   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170119094431.GF8267-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-01-19  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I've put up a bug report,
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3365
Hopefully this will be resolved soon. When it is,
you won't need a filter.

@ 2017-01-19 11:21       ` nenad.gal-lizYA0Ku4pEsXMjTw6Upulpr/1R2p/CL
       [not found]         ` <f2081566-7ea9-4f38-8de6-567243040b9d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: nenad.gal-lizYA0Ku4pEsXMjTw6Upulpr/1R2p/CL @ 2017-01-19 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John,

Thanks for a quick reply!

I'm not sure what version of Word was used to produce the document as I'm
not the author of it.
Is there a way to determine that from the file metadata?

Thanks

@ 2017-01-19 13:18           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20170119131839.GA28418-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-01-19 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Looks like it was produced by export form LibreOffice.

+++ nenad.gal-lizYA0Ku4pEsXMjTw6Upulpr/1R2p/CL@public.gmane.org [Jan 19 17 03:21 ]:

@ 2017-01-23  6:08               ` Denis José Navas Vega
       [not found]                 ` <08431424-0abb-4078-85ee-cde8c9b18935-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis José Navas Vega @ 2017-01-23  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The equations in 'document.docx' are readable by the following programs,
used in Windows 7, SP1:

  -  Libre Office
    -  still: 5.1.6.2
    -  fresh: 5.2.4.2

 -  Microsoft Word Starter 2010

 -  docs.google.com opened with "google docs"

 -  Word Online, basic version.

I think that LibreOffice can not be blamed, but something different is
responsible here.

@ 2017-01-23 10:13                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-01-23 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, the output LibreOffice produces is valid, it's just
different from what one sees from Word.

We'll fix pandoc to work with both (see the issue linked to
before).

+++ Denis José Navas Vega [Jan 22 17 22:08 ]: