* Org Property Inclusion: How?
@ 2017-01-23 21:39 William Horne
       [not found] ` <225d4934-74e5-450f-a1ee-f8e0ddbabb80-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: William Horne @ 2017-01-23 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1962

In reference to the link above, which appears to describe a fix to allow
this feature, how does one include a property from Org within the exported
file? Is this done within org mode (e.g., #+OPTIONS: d:t), or on the
command line via pandoc?

Trying to include a property such as PAGE#: within the associated header of
the pdf output. Would help with small database of quotes, words, etc. from
readings.

Would love some insight. Thanks.

* Re: Org Property Inclusion: How?
       [not found] ` <225d4934-74e5-450f-a1ee-f8e0ddbabb80-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-23 22:44   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87h94p9z2e.fsf-NJ6QtbQ9hATDZamjJ9D3v6C1jgCzLlUE@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2017-01-23 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

William Horne <will.m.horne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1962
>
> In reference to the link above, which appears to describe a fix to allow this
> feature, how does one include a property from Org within the exported file? Is
> this done within org mode (e.g., #+OPTIONS: d:t), or on the command line via
> pandoc?
>
> Trying to include a property such as PAGE#: within the associated header of the
> pdf output. Would help with small database of quotes, words, etc. from readings.
>
> Would love some insight. Thanks.

I'm not sure I fully understand your objective. The following answer
might hence miss the point, please clarify if that's the case.

The feature mentioned in the issue allows you to write:

    ** Second-level header
       :PROPERTIES:
       :PAGE: 4
       :END:

It will be read as a header with key-value pair "page: 4" in its
attributes. How attributes are used during output, and how these are
rendered, depends on the output format. Unknown key-value pairs are
droppen in PDF output. Therefor, if you'd like to include specific
key-value data in the output, you'll have to transform the header data.

[Pandoc filters] are the way to do this. Multiple libraries in many
different programming languages exist, but the easiest and nicest to use
(IMHO) is [panflute]. Document transformation make it possible to output
something looks as if you had written `** Page 4: second-level header`,
while actually writing the flexibe version above.

[Pandoc filters]: http://pandoc.org/scripting.html
[panflute]: https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2017-01-24  1:48       ` William Horne
From: William Horne @ 2017-01-24  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You answer it pretty well. The objective is not only to render the
properties included inside the source of the file, but to get them to
show up next to the header inside a latex pdf.

The idea is to have a property value for Page in org-mode, rather than
just a long header, e.g. "** obfuscation -- 265", so that the entries
can be sorted alphabetically and by page number. Then for the page
number data to be transposed somewhere alongside the entry in the pdf.

Sounds like filters are the way. Appreciate your help.

-- Will

@ 2017-01-24  2:21       ` William Horne
From: William Horne @ 2017-01-24  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So as I understand it, the property element is included in the pandoc native
output, but is not translated from there into the latex output. Would
the goal for a pandoc filter be to translate that element in native,
e.g. [("page","531")], into a latex element? If so, do you or does
anyone have a suggestion for a latex element that includes separate
information inside a header line?

The goal is for

    ** roseate
        :PROPERTIES:
        :PAGE:      537
        :END:

to render a latex pdf header like

    roseate                 537

where the 537 falls at or near the right margin.

Right now, what I have is

    \subsection{roseate}\label{roseate}

inside the latex output, obviously lacking the Page component.

Is there any obvious latex variable into which the pandoc native "Page"
could be translated to provide the desired same-line multiple-word
effect?

where 537 is perhaps at the right margin.