* reveal.js users: Lost reveal.js fragment IDs in address bar
@ 2017-02-09 16:13 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <e7f95a02-0de4-8d66-6275-cee3aac11f68-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-02-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello all, when you move through a pandoc generated reveal.js, does the fragment ID of the URL in the address bar change? (Like this [1].)

Mine always has, until recently. This was nice because when I edited a slide in markdown, I could generate the slides, refresh, and---unless I change the title/header---see the changes without having to navigate to that slide again. Also, I could easily send a link to a single slide to someone else.

Now, the URL in the address bar stays the same regardless what slide I'm on (e.g., [2]).
Do you see the same thing on my slides [2], on your own slides?

I'm using pandoc 1.19.2.1 and reveal.js 3.4.1. I recently got rid of my ancient custom reveal.js template and use the default template. I generate the slides per:

```
/usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown+mmd_title_block+yaml_metadata_block+implicit_header_references -w html -s -t revealjs --slide-level=2 -V revealjs-url=../_reveal3.js -o /Users/reagle/joseph/2017/cda/talks/080-social-know-how.html /Users/reagle/joseph/2017/cda/talks/080-social-know-how.md
```

Could something in the default template be suppressing the URL changing?

[1]: http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/#/
[2]: http://reagle.org/joseph/2017/cda/talks/080-social-know-how.html

* Re: reveal.js users: Lost reveal.js fragment IDs in address bar
       [not found] ` <e7f95a02-0de4-8d66-6275-cee3aac11f68-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-02-09 20:06   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170209200547.GB18015-l/d5Ua9yGnz4dOG0aB8Qgv8+0UxHXcjY@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-02-09 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm noticing this too.  Try the following:

1) update your reveal.js source to the latest version
2) add -V history=true to your pandoc invocation

This gave good results in my case, though section title
names were used instead of fragments.

We might want to think about making history=true the
default.

+++ Joseph Reagle [Feb 09 17 11:13 ]:

@ 2017-02-10  8:29   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-02-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Thu, Feb 09 2017, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> Hello all, when you move through a pandoc generated reveal.js,
> does the fragment ID of the URL in the address bar change? (Like
> this [1].)
>
> Mine always has, until recently. This was nice because when I
> edited a slide in markdown, I could generate the slides,
> refresh, and---unless I change the title/header---see the
> changes without having to navigate to that slide again. Also, I
> could easily send a link to a single slide to someone else.
>
> Now, the URL in the address bar stays the same regardless what
> slide I'm on (e.g., [2]).
> Do you see the same thing on my slides [2], on your own slides?

Yes. When I started using revealjs a couple of months ago, this
was how my slides worked. Only after adding -V history=true to my
pandoc invocation I got the effect that you describe.

So I suspect your old revealjs configuration had this option, and
now that you started fresh, it's gone.

BTW, I don't know why the revealjs demo at [1] uses slide numbers,
while my (and your old) slides use the slide titles. Perhaps
there's another option that I haven't found. (Looking at the
source of [1] doesn't reveal anything, though.)

[...]

> [1]: http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/#/
> [2]:
> http://reagle.org/joseph/2017/cda/talks/080-social-know-how.html

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2017-02-11 14:15       ` Joseph
       [not found]         ` <b7b9edb5-345c-4b30-b135-a99c1642325a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph @ 2017-02-11 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes please. Also, I'd like the viewport to be user-scalable. Sometimes
(because of differences across system fonts and browsers) a slide doesn't
fit; being able to zoom out a bit is very helpful.

maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no, minimal-ui">

@ 2017-02-11 23:09           ` Andrew Dunning
       [not found]             ` <850eb87f-a683-492e-8490-457726f6dae9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2017-02-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This sounds to me a recent change in the reveal.js defaults, since it's been awhile since we overhauled the template. Might be worth investigating and filing an issue on their repository.

@ 2017-02-20 21:27               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20170220212736.GA4306-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-02-20 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I changed the default for history to 'true'.

+++ Andrew Dunning [Feb 11 17 15:09 ]:

@ 2017-02-21  0:36                   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]                     ` <ce371313-c70a-1f76-3a5b-2ab68475c848-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-02-21  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2/20/17 4:27 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> I changed the default for history to 'true'.

And user-scalable?

@ 2017-02-22 14:06                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20170222140642.GH32046-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-02-22 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Joseph Reagle [Feb 20 17 19:36 ]:
>On 2/20/17 4:27 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
>> I changed the default for history to 'true'.
>
>And user-scalable?

I'd prefer not to change that, at least not without better
understanding the reasons for this default setting in
reveal.js.

I suspect the reason is that it's too easy for users to
accidentally zoom, which will usually lead to very bad
results.

@ 2017-02-22 14:12                           ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]                             ` <c8fda815-0c24-6352-c783-52017281edec-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2017-02-22 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2/22/17 9:06 AM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> I'd prefer not to change that, at least not without better
> understanding the reasons for this default setting in reveal.js.

Would adding a variable be too much hassle? I could always go back to using my own template but I prefer, for simplicity's sake, to use the default.

@ 2017-02-22 15:15                               ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-02-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw