* Embed only local resources
@ 2017-05-01 14:01 news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
       [not found] ` <1d0ca262-3738-4347-86d3-9349f90e89f2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2017-05-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Is there a way to embedded in HTML output only all
local/relative/file-system resources to make the HTML file relocatable??
Main use case is to embed a CSS file I specify on the command line:

pandoc -css mystyles.css mydoc.md

I tried using `--self-contained`, but pandoc then wants to embed not only
local resources but external images as well which is not needed and can
blow up the file size considerable.

* Re: Embed only local resources
       [not found] ` <1d0ca262-3738-4347-86d3-9349f90e89f2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-05-03  3:37   ` news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
       [not found]     ` <cedd1e1e-92f0-4e4b-936f-70a58bee7015-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2017-05-03  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The problem is particularly pressing when you have external images with
*https* URLs: Pandoc does fail with "HttpExceptionRequest Request" and
produces no output at all.

So how can I generate an HTML which contains the local resource
(particularly the CSS), but does not attempt to download external URL
resources?

@ 2017-05-03 10:03       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20170503100313.GD17566-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-03 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you just want to embed a css file, you could try using
--include-in-header.  (In this case, you'd need to include
the <style> and </style> tags in the css file, or put them
in separate files and use --include-in-header to include
them all in the right order.)  ALternatively you could use
a custom template with

    $mycss$

and fill the variable with

    pandoc --template mytemplate.html -Vmycss="$(cat mystyles.css)"

Also see the manual under --self-contained:

> Elements with the attribute `data-external="1"` will be
> left alone; the documents they link to will not be
> incorporated in the document.

Though you may need the dev version of pandoc for this feature.

+++ news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org [May 02 17 20:37 ]:

@ 2017-05-03 14:23           ` John Muccigrosso
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-05-03 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have to say that including only local resources would be nice for me too,
and here I mean both images and css.

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 6:04:08 AM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> If you just want to embed a css file, you could try using
> --include-in-header.  (In this case, you'd need to include
> the <style> and </style> tags in the css file, or put them
> in separate files and use --include-in-header to include
> them all in the right order.)  ALternatively you could use
> a custom template with

>     $mycss$
>
> and fill the variable with
>
>     pandoc --template mytemplate.html -Vmycss="$(cat mystyles.css)"

Is there any way to do this in the YAML or does it have to be a command
switch? (I suspect not.)

> Also see the manual under --self-contained:
>
> > Elements with the attribute `data-external="1"` will be
> > left alone; the documents they link to will not be
> > incorporated in the document.

Does this work for any output format then and not just ePub?

@ 2017-05-03 21:48           ` news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
       [not found]             ` <9fbdd60c-e18b-4608-b995-43fd88843c6d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2017-05-03 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks John.

Yes, -H works - that's the workaround I use at the moment. I looked for the
"data-external" attribute in the man page (using pandoc 1.19.2),
but couldn't find it. This might be a good reason to move to the
development version. :-)

Also, any movement about the https issue with pandoc? If I remember
correctly, it is a problem of the underlying http library...

Thanks once more for pandoc - I love it!

@ 2017-05-04  9:25               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20170504092534.GB31522-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-04  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org [May 03 17 14:48 ]:
>   Also, any movement about the https issue with pandoc? If I remember
>   correctly, it is a problem of the underlying http library...

What issue, can you remind me?

@ 2017-05-04 10:31                   ` news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
       [not found]                     ` <8fcc4e38-d544-43c8-8e70-c384794ea6e8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2017-05-04 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc fails on HTTPS resources with  "HttpExceptionRequest Request".

@ 2017-05-04 11:51                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20170504115133.GA35192-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-04 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>   Pandoc fails on HTTPS resources with  "HttpExceptionRequest Request".

Can you give me an example to reproduce this?
Also, what version of pandoc are you using?

@ 2017-05-05  9:33                           ` news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA
       [not found]                             ` <6fb6810d-c9a6-4829-905a-95856f5bef54-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA @ 2017-05-05  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have the issue on Windows with files like the following one:

# Test with https image

Here a https image from w3schools:

![](https://www.w3schools.com/html/pic_mountain.jpg)

However now I try to reproduce it on macOS - and cannot: The https resource
is downloaded properly. Here on macOS I use 1.17.1 (will upgrade soon).

Over the weekend I don't have access to the Windows machine, so I cannot
tell you the pandoc version there. (It won't be the current one either.) I
will report back begin of next week.

@ 2017-05-05  9:41                               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-05  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK, if it's Windows related, then there's likely nothing we
can do to fix it in pandoc -- one would have to talk to the
maintainers of the libraries we use for networking.

You might try getting the latest dev version from
pandoc-nightlies and testing that on Windows.

https://github.com/pandoc-extras/pandoc-nightly

+++ news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org [May 05 17 02:33 ]: