* Shorter/optional version of section/subsection title [Markdown to Latex workflow]
@ 2017-05-17  8:11 rama prakasha
       [not found] ` <4ab56fed-64fb-4c91-8dff-10a6eb308b48-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: rama prakasha @ 2017-05-17  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Latex offers to mention short version of a long title which will show up in
Table of contents. Like this

\section[Short Title]{A Very Very Very Longggg Title}

How to achieve this in Markdown.

* Re: Shorter/optional version of section/subsection title [Markdown to Latex workflow]
       [not found] ` <4ab56fed-64fb-4c91-8dff-10a6eb308b48-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-05-17 10:38   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-17 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

See https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/pull/2447
though I have reservations about the proposed solution.
(For other ideas, see my comment near the end.)

+++ rama prakasha [May 17 17 01:11 ]:

@ 2017-05-17 10:40   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-05-17 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry, I see that your question is about section titles,
not figure captions (which that PR concerns). The issues
are similar, though.

I'm open to suggestions about how this might be translated
into Markdown.

One option, of course, is an attribute:

    # A very long title {short-title="A shorter title"}

One drawback of this is that we lose the possibility of formatting
in the short title, since an attribute value is just a
string.  (I suppose we could parse it as Markdown, though.)

+++ rama prakasha [May 17 17 01:11 ]: