* Support for tectonic
@ 2017-06-01 14:41 Tahir Butt
       [not found] ` <3bbd71f8-6ac4-4d30-bf3a-3d30b8590519-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Tahir Butt @ 2017-06-01 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I just learned of tectonic
<https://tectonic-typesetting.github.io/en-US/index.html> and would think
it could serve the pandoc community very well. I am not familiar with the
TeX engine world but it seems this project is very promising. It is based
on XeTeX and can be built as a library, making it something that could come
packaged with the pandoc binary. Further it automatically downloads any
supporting files that are needed to compile a tex file and avoids creating
intermediate files.

Would adding support be as simple as adding it to the list here in
Text.Pandoc.PDF?

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/src/Text/Pandoc/PDF.hs#L124

prog | prog `elem` ["pdflatex", "lualatex", "xelatex"]

* Re: Support for tectonic
       [not found] ` <3bbd71f8-6ac4-4d30-bf3a-3d30b8590519-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-01 16:45   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Tahir Butt [Jun 01 17 07:41 ]:
>   I just learned of [1]tectonic and would think it could serve the pandoc
>   community very well. I am not familiar with the TeX engine world but it
>   seems this project is very promising. It is based on XeTeX and can be
>   built as a library, making it something that could come packaged with
>   the pandoc binary. Further it automatically downloads any supporting
>   files that are needed to compile a tex file and avoids creating
>   intermediate files.
>   Would adding support be as simple as adding it to the list here in
>   Text.Pandoc.PDF?
>   https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/src/Text/Pandoc/PDF.hs#L124
>   prog | prog `elem` ["pdflatex", "lualatex", "xelatex"]

Not that simple, because it also takes different options.
But it wouldn't be a huge amount of work, I'll bet.

* Re: Support for tectonic
       [not found] ` <3bbd71f8-6ac4-4d30-bf3a-3d30b8590519-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-01 16:49   ` Melroch
From: Melroch @ 2017-06-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It seems this is just a modernized equivalent of latexmk. Such a one would
certainly be useful, but as such how does it differ crucially from Pandoc's
built-in "direct-to-pdf" mode, apart from its download-on-demand feature?
Also it seems to be married to BibTeX.

/bpj

Den 1 jun 2017 16:41 skrev "Tahir Butt" <tahir.butt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> I just learned of tectonic
> <https://tectonic-typesetting.github.io/en-US/index.html> and would think
> it could serve the pandoc community very well. I am not familiar with the
> TeX engine world but it seems this project is very promising. It is based
> on XeTeX and can be built as a library, making it something that could come
> packaged with the pandoc binary. Further it automatically downloads any
> supporting files that are needed to compile a tex file and avoids creating
> intermediate files.
>
> Would adding support be as simple as adding it to the list here in
> Text.Pandoc.PDF?
>
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/src/Text/Pandoc/PDF.hs#L124
>
> prog | prog `elem` ["pdflatex", "lualatex", "xelatex"]
>
> --
> msgid/pandoc-discuss/3bbd71f8-6ac4-4d30-bf3a-3d30b8590519%
> 40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3bbd71f8-6ac4-4d30-bf3a-3d30b8590519%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

* Re: Support for tectonic
       [not found] ` <3bbd71f8-6ac4-4d30-bf3a-3d30b8590519-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-01 20:30   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <87h8zz5u37.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-06-01 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Thu, Jun 01 2017, Tahir Butt wrote:
> I just learned of tectonic
> <https://tectonic-typesetting.github.io/en-US/index.html> and
> would think it could serve the pandoc community very well.

I'm a bit sceptical, TBH, at least in its current state. The
biggest problem I see is the use of BibTeX. BibTeX isn't able to
handle Unicode (UTF-8), which is weird for a) a system that is
based on XeTeX, for which Unicode is one of the raisons d'être,
and b) Pandoc, which uses UTF-8 throughout.

Judging by the issue list on Github, the Tectonic developers are
aware of the problem but don't see an easy solution.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the installation methods. They are
suggesting installing through Anaconda, which is a Python
distribution. Even though Tectonic has nothing to do with Python
and doesn't use it. There are certainly other ways to package up
software in order to make it installable on Linux and OS X.

Of course, these may all just be teething problems, since the
project really is very young: first commit on Github is apparently
Nov. 2016, so barely half a year ago.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Support for tectonic
       [not found]     ` <87h8zz5u37.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-02  7:48       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-02  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Yes, the married-to-bibtex part is not good for us.

If this thing takes off, we can consider adding support for
it as a latex engine, but let's wait a bit and see how
it develops.

+++ Joost Kremers [Jun 01 17 22:30 ]:

>On Thu, Jun 01 2017, Tahir Butt wrote:
>>I just learned of tectonic
>><https://tectonic-typesetting.github.io/en-US/index.html> and would
>>think it could serve the pandoc community very well.
>
>I'm a bit sceptical, TBH, at least in its current state. The biggest
>problem I see is the use of BibTeX. BibTeX isn't able to handle
>Unicode (UTF-8), which is weird for a) a system that is based on
>XeTeX, for which Unicode is one of the raisons d'être, and b) Pandoc,
>which uses UTF-8 throughout.
>
>Judging by the issue list on Github, the Tectonic developers are aware
>of the problem but don't see an easy solution.
>
>I'm also a bit puzzled by the installation methods. They are
>suggesting installing through Anaconda, which is a Python
>distribution. Even though Tectonic has nothing to do with Python and
>doesn't use it. There are certainly other ways to package up software
>in order to make it installable on Linux and OS X.
>
>Of course, these may all just be teething problems, since the project
>really is very young: first commit on Github is apparently Nov. 2016,
>so barely half a year ago.
>

>--
>Joost Kremers
>Life has its moments
>
>--

* Re: Support for tectonic
       [not found]     ` <87h8zz5u37.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-03  8:29     ` jiewuza
       [not found]       ` <m2a85p1nkj.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2017-06-03  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Joost Kremers <joostkremers-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> On Thu, Jun 01 2017, Tahir Butt wrote:
>> I just learned of tectonic
>> <https://tectonic-typesetting.github.io/en-US/index.html> and would think it
>> could serve the pandoc community very well.
>
> I'm a bit sceptical, TBH, at least in its current state. The biggest problem I
> see is the use of BibTeX. BibTeX isn't able to handle Unicode (UTF-8), which is
> weird for a) a system that is based on XeTeX, for which Unicode is one of the
> raisons d'être, and b) Pandoc, which uses UTF-8 throughout.

This is a distraction from the topic. But how do you guys get
bibliography work without bibtex?

* Re: Support for tectonic
       [not found]       ` <m2a85p1nkj.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-03  8:52         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-03  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ jiewuza [Jun 03 17 16:29 ]:

>This is a distraction from the topic. But how do you guys get
>bibliography work without bibtex?

Either using biblatex + biber with xelatex, or by
using pandoc's own bibliography system (pandoc-citeproc).