* MS Windows 7 installation failure, v 1.19.2.1
@ 2017-06-08 23:22 Harvey Stein
       [not found] ` <614321c1-a749-4b8f-98af-ab0227bf0f88-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harvey Stein @ 2017-06-08 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

When I try to install Pandoc 1.19.2.1 on an MS Windows 7 box, I get a popup
that says:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing
the installation package 'pandoc-1.17.0.2-windows.msi' in the box below.

Why is it asking to for version 1.17.0.2 when trying to install 1.19.2.1?

Thanks.

* Re: MS Windows 7 installation failure, v 1.19.2.1
       [not found] ` <614321c1-a749-4b8f-98af-ab0227bf0f88-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-09  0:31   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]     ` <CA+u6gbwt6yM7vFD7e77fxeYp8dfpgHcbDUvwdMLbtagZO_rp3A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-06-09  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 9 June 2017 at 09:22, Harvey Stein <hjstein-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> When I try to install Pandoc 1.19.2.1 on an MS Windows 7 box, I get a popup
> that says:
>
> The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is
> unavailable.
>
> Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the
> installation package 'pandoc-1.17.0.2-windows.msi' in the box below.
>
> Why is it asking to for version 1.17.0.2 when trying to install 1.19.2.1?

Not having used Pandoc on Windows, one thing that comes to mind is
whether 1.17.0.2 was previously installed and needs to be uninstalled
before the new version is installed, and the uninstaller references a
network location?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

@ 2017-06-09 15:19       ` Harvey Stein
       [not found]         ` <b388b734-0487-44d2-8182-be0a0d768ee8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harvey Stein @ 2017-06-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is on a new machine.  I hadn't installed Pandoc before.  Also, note
what pandoc --version displays;

$ pandoc --version
pandoc.exe 1.19.2.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.4, texmath 0.9, skylighting 0.1.1.4
Default user data directory: C:\Users\hstein\AppData\Roaming\pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2016 John MacFarlane
Web:  http://pandoc.org
There is no warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness
for a particular purpose.

My guess would be some sort of packaging or building issue due to use of
different versions of different components.

@ 2017-06-09 15:19           ` Harvey Stein
From: Harvey Stein @ 2017-06-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Should also note that despite the above error message, it still installed &
runs.

@ 2017-06-09 20:16   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170609201626.GA31409-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-09 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No idea.  Has anyone else experienced something like this?
It could be a problem with the msi, but I'm at a loss what
could be causing it.

+++ Harvey Stein [Jun 08 17 16:22 ]:

@ 2017-06-11  8:29       ` Tristano Ajmone
       [not found]         ` <81cf82bd-a586-4768-83e3-f25a852fb08d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Tristano Ajmone @ 2017-06-11  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've installed pandoc on Windows 7/8/10 withouth problems, just following
the default proposed installation options.

The only times I've experience trouble installing pandoc was when using
Chocolatey (GUI) to install/update pandoc. The problem was due to the fact
that Chocolatey creates a shim file to handle pandoc calls, and after a
failed installation/update invoking pandoc would cause all sort of strange
messages (in particular, references to wrong version number).

If you've installed/used Chocolatey this could be the source of the problem
(which is fixable by uninstalling the pandoc package and manually removing
the shim file ("pandoc.exe") and a few other left over files). You
mentioned that you're working on a new machine, so chances are that you're
not using Chocolatey, but I though it worth mentioning because similar apps
might cause a problem of this type.

It's very strange the message about the "network resource that is
unavailable" since pandoc installer doesn't try to connect to the network.
It might be worth looking into the System PATH and drive mapping settings,
and try to understand why the installer is trying to connect to an external
network.

The only other thing that comes to my mind is that — being a new machine —
you might be lacking some DLLs that pandoc relies on (eg: some Visual
Studio run-time libraries). Usually these get installed along with many
software tools, so most machines simply have them because they were
installed by third party tools, but on a new machine this might not be the
case and you might need to install them manually. I don't know which
runtime dependencies Haskell has, but for many other programming languages
I had to install specific runtime DLLs manually.

Is this Windows 7 installation running in a Virtual Machine?

Hope it might help to narrow down the problem.

@ 2017-06-11  8:52           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc doesn't require any special runtime DLLs.

+++ Tristano Ajmone [Jun 11 17 01:29 ]: