* LaTeX and citation inside a footnote
@ 2017-06-10  8:03 Lyndon Drake
       [not found] ` <9bbfc142-2a0a-4f4d-b79f-0a6a103e654e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lyndon Drake @ 2017-06-10  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I realised that the question of \cite has come up before, but I have a case
that's quite common in my field and wondered what the best solution is.
When writing with the SBL style guide, it's not uncommon to want to
generate a footnote like this one:

5. Carl D. Gross, “Is There Any Interest in Nehemiah 5,” Scand.
J.OldTestam. 11 (1997): 270–78, doi:10.1080/ 09018329708585120. Fensham
translates as “Everyone of you imposes a burden (loan) on his brother,” but
gives no philological commentary on this, perhaps because he reads the
whole episode as being primarily about slavery rather than debt (Fensham,
The Books of Ezra and Nehemiah, 192).

Because footnotes are so common, this approach to summarising a
parenthetical issue is also very common. In author-date citation styles
(which I used to use for other work) you'd get the citation in the main
paragraph body, and then a separate footnote, and hence no problems.

In LaTeX, the desired result can be generated by

\cite{Gross:1997}. Fensham blah blah \autocite[192]{Fensham1982}.

I don't know how to get the same effect from Pandoc. The problem is that
the following:

^[@Gross:1997. Fensham blah blah [@Fensham:1982]]

turns the first into \textcite{}, which in the SBL style is set as:

Gross ("Is there…" …)

Which is what \textcite is supposed to do. \autocite{} produces instead
(Gross, "Is there…" …), which also seems the best option — it parallels
what one wants with \autocite in a non-footnote paragraph.

Is there any chance of altering the syntax slightly to allow other options
in the conversion to LaTeX? What I'd really like is the ability to generate
\cite{}, which would also be useful in other cases (e.g. one is writing a
sentence in footnote text such as "For a bibliography, see Fensham, blah
bah, 1982." where one does not want \parencite{}).

Or if anyone can suggest a workaround I'm open to ideas.

Best,
Lyndon

* Re: LaTeX and citation inside a footnote
       [not found] ` <9bbfc142-2a0a-4f4d-b79f-0a6a103e654e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-06-11  8:26   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170611082654.GA95963-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm not sure I follow exactly.  But if you want two
\autocites, rather than a \textcite and an \autocite,
can't you just do this?

    ^[[@Gross:1997]. Fensham blah blah [@Fensham:1982]]

+++ Lyndon Drake [Jun 10 17 01:03 ]:

@ 2017-06-11 13:26       ` Lyndon Drake
       [not found]         ` <977df2ef-6b75-41e9-9511-48a746184a45-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lyndon Drake @ 2017-06-11 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, that would work, but what I need is \cite{} as the first one, followed
by \autocite{}. What Pandoc gives is \textcite{}… \autocite{}. That
produces a different result in SBL (or any Chicago-based footnote) BibLaTeX
style. At the moment, as far as I can tell, there's no way to get Pandoc to
generate a \cite{} command, which is what I need.

For some BibLaTeX the choice between \textcite{} and \autocite{} is
sufficient to cover most use cases. But for the SBL style, it's very
difficult to write without access to at least \cite{} as well, and I'm
wondering whether you'd consider adding some syntax to allow \cite{} to be
called.

Does that make more sense?

@ 2017-06-11 19:41           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It sounds too special-purpose to think about modifying
pandoc.  Remember, the primary purpose of the citation
syntax is to support pandoc-citeproc, not to generate
LaTeX/bibtex citations.  BibLaTeX is very expressive, and
there's no way we'll ever match that.  But maybe you could
explain better the difference between \cite and \autocite in
this context?

+++ Lyndon Drake [Jun 11 17 06:26 ]: