* how to get a Hebrew markdown converted correctly to pdf?
@ 2016-08-10 12:01 Gilco333
       [not found] ` <55be8a86-a634-4e5d-8725-302d4cca9f3a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Gilco333 @ 2016-08-10 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi guys!
I have read thoroughly the Pandoc user's guide,
and focused on the language variables,  have set the relevant variables:

pandoc  --variable=title:"my example" *--variable=dir:rtl* hebrew.txt
--latex-engine=xelatex  -o hebrew.pdf

I noticed the variable* --variable=otherlangs:he* , does no change at all.
how come?

the actual output is all Hebrew characters got disappeared after exporting
to pdf file.
since I have used the dir:rtl, the other characters were aligned to the
right.

can someone please suggest a solution?
Thank you all for the assistance

Gil

* Re: how to get a Hebrew markdown converted correctly to pdf?
       [not found] ` <55be8a86-a634-4e5d-8725-302d4cca9f3a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-08-10 23:08   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <87d1lgjk7z.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-08-10 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wed, Aug 10 2016, Gilco wrote:
> I have read thoroughly the Pandoc user's guide,
> and focused on the language variables,  have set the relevant variables:
>
> pandoc  --variable=title:"my example" *--variable=dir:rtl* hebrew.txt
> --latex-engine=xelatex  -o hebrew.pdf
>
> I noticed the variable* --variable=otherlangs:he* , does no change at all.
> how come?
>
> the actual output is all Hebrew characters got disappeared after exporting
> to pdf file.

Most likely cause is that you're using a font that doesn't cover Hebrew.
Take a font with good Hebrew coverage and pass it to pandoc with
--variable=mainfont:"Font Name"

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2016-08-12  9:49       ` Gilco333
From: Gilco333 @ 2016-08-12  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you I have changed the font and it worked quite well :)

@ 2017-06-21 20:00   ` Noam Izhaki
       [not found]     ` <9412beaf-ee33-40e5-86d0-8543e819f2a2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Noam Izhaki @ 2017-06-21 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Gil,

I'm trying to generate a docx from HTML and I get a left aligned document.
I've tried to pass dir:RTL variable but it doesn't help. interesting thig
is that I'm trying doing it on my machine(windows, support Hebrew)
everything is fine, but when trying on production(Linux) it doesn't work.

do you have any idea?
would love to discuss with you here or over a short cellphone (I'm from
Israel, too)

Many thanks,
Noam

בתאריך יום רביעי, 10 באוגוסט 2016 בשעה 15:02:00 UTC+3, מאת Gilco333:

@ 2017-06-22  6:47       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-06-22  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Do you have an older version of pandoc, perhaps, on the
linux machine?

+++ Noam Izhaki [Jun 21 17 13:00 ]: