* pandoc on cygwin's shell
@ 2017-07-22 18:40 Luis Rivera
       [not found] ` <11f3d0c4-d3d1-4ec5-ba5f-c4fe6e05e052-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Rivera @ 2017-07-22 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello!

I uncluttered my hard drive and kept TeXLive on Cygwin. Tested if the
[pdf|lua|xe]LaTeX engines worked, and there I go trying to make a nice pdf
with pandoc inside cygwin's bash. Alas, the pandoc windows binary looks for
windows executables, and afaics these engines run as softlinks, not exes,
in cygwin, the real executables being [pdf|lua|xe]tex. Is there any
workaround known to run windows pandoc inside the shell in cygwin?

Thanks in advance,

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found] ` <11f3d0c4-d3d1-4ec5-ba5f-c4fe6e05e052-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-07-23  7:39   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170723073929.GA67976-gd5emFPDCk1l5R22fHXGm0EMvNT87kid@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-07-23  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

findExecutable from System.Directory is being used to check
for the existence of the program and issue and error if it's
not found.

The docs for findExecutable say:

> On Windows, findExecutable calls the Win32 function
> SearchPath, which may search other places before checking
> the directories in the PATH environment variable. Where it
> actually searches depends on registry settings, but
> notably includes the directory containing the current
> executable.

So that might be a clue about what's happening.

We could try removing that check and just letting things
fail at the point where we try to run the tex program.
But the check is nice because we can give a more informative
message early on.

+++ Luis Rivera [Jul 22 17 11:40 ]:
>   Hello!
>   I uncluttered my hard drive and kept TeXLive on Cygwin. Tested if the
>   [pdf|lua|xe]LaTeX engines worked, and there I go trying to make a nice
>   pdf with pandoc inside cygwin's bash. Alas, the pandoc windows binary
>   looks for windows executables, and afaics these engines run as
>   softlinks, not exes, in cygwin, the real executables being
>   [pdf|lua|xe]tex. Is there any workaround known to run windows pandoc
>   inside the shell in cygwin?
>   Thanks in advance,
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/11f3d0c4-d3d1-4ec5-
>   ba5f-c4fe6e05e052%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/11f3d0c4-d3d1-4ec5-ba5f-c4fe6e05e052-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found]     ` <20170723073929.GA67976-gd5emFPDCk1l5R22fHXGm0EMvNT87kid@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-07-24 20:51       ` Luis Rivera
From: Luis Rivera @ 2017-07-24 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 02:39:47 UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote:

> findExecutable from System.Directory is being used to check
> for the existence of the program and issue and error if it's
> not found.
>
> The docs for findExecutable say:
>
> > On Windows, findExecutable calls the Win32 function
> > SearchPath, which may search other places before checking
> > the directories in the PATH environment variable. Where it
> > actually searches depends on registry settings, but
> > notably includes the directory containing the current
> > executable.
>
> So that might be a clue about what's happening.
>
> We could try removing that check and just letting things
> fail at the point where we try to run the tex program.
> But the check is nice because we can give a more informative
> message early on.

Would that be too difficult?

I tried providing a xelatex.exe based on a batch file `pdftex %1 %2 ...
^&pdflatex %n`, with `%n` as the document's name with a bat2exe program,
but somehow I miss the correct number of arguments, so the batch job fails.

pdftex %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 ^&pdflatex %8

Or perhaps I'm missing something in the batch file approach.

Confused,

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found]     ` <20170723073929.GA67976-gd5emFPDCk1l5R22fHXGm0EMvNT87kid@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-07-26  2:44       ` Luis Rivera
       [not found]         ` <e44f1c65-26b3-4f6a-aa63-f494a48f8245-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Rivera @ 2017-07-26  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, 23 July 2017 02:39:47 UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote:

> findExecutable from System.Directory is being used to check
> for the existence of the program and issue and error if it's
> not found.
>
> The docs for findExecutable say:
>
> > On Windows, findExecutable calls the Win32 function
> > SearchPath, which may search other places before checking
> > the directories in the PATH environment variable. Where it
> > actually searches depends on registry settings, but
> > notably includes the directory containing the current
> > executable.
>
> So that might be a clue about what's happening.
>
> We could try removing that check and just letting things
> fail at the point where we try to run the tex program.
> But the check is nice because we can give a more informative
> message early on.

It this problem worth an issue on GitHub?

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found]         ` <e44f1c65-26b3-4f6a-aa63-f494a48f8245-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-07-26  7:11           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20170726071135.GA15440-l/d5Ua9yGnxXsXJlQylH7w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-07-26  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sure, go ahead and put an issue on GitHub.

+++ Luis Rivera [Jul 25 17 19:44 ]:

@ 2018-05-25 11:16               ` Florian Cramer
       [not found]                 ` <794616e3-f260-4656-b90a-563b820d5db1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Florian Cramer @ 2018-05-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Is there some practical fix for this issue in the meantime? Linking the
Cygwin tex binaries into a Windows system directory or something similar?

I've been struggling with this issue for quite a long time... (It also
occurs when you try to use pdfroff as a backend for the PDF writer, with
pdfroff being installed in Cygwin.)

Florian

@ 2018-05-25 16:17                   ` Luis Rivera
       [not found]                     ` <730d6fe9-cef2-4839-8090-c28ea609375a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Rivera @ 2018-05-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Friday, 25 May 2018 06:16:36 UTC-5, Florian Cramer wrote:

> Is there some practical fix for this issue in the meantime? Linking the
> Cygwin tex binaries into a Windows system directory or something similar?
>
> I've been struggling with this issue for quite a long time... (It also
> occurs when you try to use pdfroff as a backend for the PDF writer, with
> pdfroff being installed in Cygwin.)

pdfroff is a shell program; so what I've done is to compile it into an
executable with Javier Rosales's shell compiler
[shc](http://www.datsi.fi.upm.es/~frosal/) and make pandoc happy: it checks
for and executable, it finds it, and then runs it. I've done the same for
the TeX family: originally, they are symiinks, so I wrapped the calls to
each of them (pdflatex, xelatex, lualatex) into shell programs and compiled
aliases accordingly.

Hope that helps,

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found]     ` <20170723073929.GA67976-gd5emFPDCk1l5R22fHXGm0EMvNT87kid@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-05-27 17:02       ` Mikolaj Machowski
From: Mikolaj Machowski @ 2018-05-27 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 9:39:47 AM UTC+2, John MacFarlane wrote:

> So that might be a clue about what's happening.
>
> We could try removing that check and just letting things
> fail at the point where we try to run the tex program.
> But the check is nice because we can give a more informative
> message early on.

I am also using Windows pandoc in cygwin and cannot use tex/pdf export.

If current solution has specific merits maybe it would be better not to
change it but add another pdfengine (or switch/option) which would skip
this check?

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found]                     ` <730d6fe9-cef2-4839-8090-c28ea609375a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-06-05 10:31                       ` Florian Cramer
       [not found]                         ` <23ae3775-6081-41ed-821f-965a87b8450c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Florian Cramer @ 2018-06-05 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks a lot, Luis, for this workaround!

However, I still have trouble getting it work. My steps are the following:

1) Create a shell (wrapper) script that invokes pdfroff (respectively any
other needed executable):

#!/bin/sh

/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/bin/pdfroff $*

Then compile this script into a Windows executable with shc:

shc -f pdfroff.sh

...rename the resulting executable pdfroff.sh.x to pdfroff.exe and move it
into a directory inside c:\ProgramFiles . (I also tried /usr/local/bin and
the current working directory.)

However, this is still doesn't work with pandoc; I still get the error
message "pdfroff not found. Please select a different --pdf-engine or
install pdfroff"

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 6:17:07 PM UTC+2, Luis Rivera wrote:

> On Friday, 25 May 2018 06:16:36 UTC-5, Florian Cramer wrote:
>>
>> Is there some practical fix for this issue in the meantime? Linking the
>> Cygwin tex binaries into a Windows system directory or something similar?
>>
>> I've been struggling with this issue for quite a long time... (It also
>> occurs when you try to use pdfroff as a backend for the PDF writer, with
>> pdfroff being installed in Cygwin.)
>>

> pdfroff is a shell program; so what I've done is to compile it into an
> executable with Javier Rosales's shell compiler [shc](
> http://www.datsi.fi.upm.es/~frosal/) and make pandoc happy: it checks for
> and executable, it finds it, and then runs it. I've done the same for the
> TeX family: originally, they are symiinks, so I wrapped the calls to each
> of them (pdflatex, xelatex, lualatex) into shell programs and compiled
> aliases accordingly.
>
> Hope that helps,

* Re: pandoc on cygwin's shell
       [not found]                         ` <23ae3775-6081-41ed-821f-965a87b8450c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>