* Why cmark is written in C?
@ 2017-08-06  4:33 Kolen Cheung
       [not found] ` <89ae88db-f9be-499c-b743-fe2d2cbc5ee7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-08-06  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, I'm just curious. Why cmark is written in C instead of Haskell?

(A longer but more accurate question should be why write it in C and provide a Haskell binding and not the other way around?)

* Re: Why cmark is written in C?
       [not found] ` <89ae88db-f9be-499c-b743-fe2d2cbc5ee7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-06 15:37   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-06 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

1. Speed.
2. Portability (easy to create bindings to a C library in
   any other language).
3. The current parsing algorithm is imperative in style;
   the C library gives a model that can easily be copied
   in other imperative languages.

+++ Kolen Cheung [Aug 05 17 21:33 ]:
>Hi, I'm just curious. Why cmark is written in C instead of Haskell?
>
>(A longer but more accurate question should be why write it in C and provide a Haskell binding and not the other way around?)
>
>--

* Re: Why cmark is written in C?
       [not found] ` <89ae88db-f9be-499c-b743-fe2d2cbc5ee7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-06 15:38   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That said, I'd be happy to see a pure Haskell CommonMark
parsing library.  If there were one, I'd use it in pandoc
instead of cmark.