* variable layout grid table ("advanced grid table syntax")
@ 2017-08-20  1:25 sjm324-HmMyXyqgL2CVc3sceRu5cw
       [not found] ` <55e9790b-5e1b-4ae7-bd64-3e5d26ef9bbf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: sjm324-HmMyXyqgL2CVc3sceRu5cw @ 2017-08-20  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello!

I searched and searched but perhaps was using the wrong terms.  I played
around a lot with using rules, whether or not "single column rows" have
three or two *+* characters (both above and below, depending on what is
below it), but I'm not sure I'm getting the grid table syntax right for
pandoc.  Or perhaps this is not supported?

I would like to be able to layout a grid table with variable number of
columns per row.  The following is what I am working with:

*test.md* contents:

The Grid Table

This table works in reStructuredText (tested with Sphinx).  Is there a way
to support
this in `pandoc`?

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+===========================================+==========================================+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Gesture                                   | 20 --- 60 cm

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Option 2

With rules for `pandoc`, to avoid centered rows being turned into verbatim (which
makes
sense):

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+:=========================================:+:========================================:+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Gesture                                   | 20 --- 60 cm

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

*to generate (grid_table.sh as executable file in same directory as
test.md):#!/usr/bin/env bashmarkdown_configs="-f
markdown+grid_tables+pipe_tables+simple_tables+multiline_tables+tex_math_dollars
--column=88"doctype="-t latex --latex-engine=xelatex"inputs="test.md"pandoc
$markdown_configs $doctype $inputs -o test.pdfrendered output*
see attached

*test.pdfNote*: same results regardless of latex engine, but included
because the actual thing I am working with must be xelatex.

Thanks for explaining what should change or if this cannot be supported.
Extra thanks, if unsupported, for a (brief!) explanation of why -- I'm
genuinely interested ;)

-Stephen

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: variable layout grid table ("advanced grid table syntax")
       [not found] ` <55e9790b-5e1b-4ae7-bd64-3e5d26ef9bbf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-20  2:05   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170820020519.GA72907-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-20  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Currently there's no support for rowspans (i.e., variable
number of columns per row).

+++ sjm324-HmMyXyqgL2CVc3sceRu5cw@public.gmane.org [Aug 19 17 18:25 ]:

@ 2017-08-21 16:24       ` sjm324-HmMyXyqgL2CVc3sceRu5cw
       [not found]         ` <ca7cabb9-1b14-43d1-a314-9244f79a32ff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: sjm324-HmMyXyqgL2CVc3sceRu5cw @ 2017-08-21 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi John,

Thanks for the response!  Would a PR against the docs making a small note
explaining this be welcome?

-Stephen

@ 2017-08-21 21:01           ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-08-21 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)