* Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
@ 2017-09-15  0:14 Don Mankewich
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Don Mankewich @ 2017-09-15  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm creating documents with markdown which include reference links to
external PDF documents which exist in the same folder. When I use pandoc to
generate a PDF document from my markdown, there appear to be links in the
PDF when I hover over the labels but the external PDF does not open when I
click the link. I don't get any warnings of skipped files. Here's an
example of my markdown reference, it's in a numbered list.

 [ats alert tables](ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)

I have read that pandoc references relative file paths according to the
directory where pandoc is executed but I'm running pandoc in the directory
containing the external PDF so I shouldn't have to add further pathing
information should I? I'm also using Harp JS to create a static site from
my content and the link references work in Harp so I don't want to change
that to support pandoc. Ideally the relative paths should for both pandoc
and Harp.

Any suggestions?

* Re: Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-15 15:33   ` John MacFarlane
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-09-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What version of pandoc are you using?  This worked for me
when I tried it just now.

+++ Don Mankewich [Sep 14 17 17:14 ]:
>   I'm creating documents with markdown which include reference links to
>   external PDF documents which exist in the same folder. When I use
>   pandoc to generate a PDF document from my markdown, there appear to be
>   links in the PDF when I hover over the labels but the external PDF does
>   not open when I click the link. I don't get any warnings of skipped
>   files. Here's an example of my markdown reference, it's in a numbered
>   list.
>    [ats alert tables](ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)
>   I have read that pandoc references relative file paths according to the
>   directory where pandoc is executed but I'm running pandoc in the
>   directory containing the external PDF so I shouldn't have to add
>   further pathing information should I? I'm also using Harp JS to create
>   a static site from my content and the link references work in Harp so I
>   don't want to change that to support pandoc. Ideally the relative paths
>   should for both pandoc and Harp.
>   Any suggestions?
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3e084be5-8931-4391-
>   ab2c-7361e992c544%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-17 21:11   ` Don Mankewich
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Don Mankewich @ 2017-09-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm using pandoc 1.19.1.2. I'm running it on a machine with Windows 10
Home. I'm using Git Bash to run pandoc because I need the wildcard
expansion workaround suggested by another user to expand *.md as I want to
PDF multiple documents.

$ pandoc -v
pandoc.exe 1.19.2.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.4, texmath 0.9, skylighting 0.1.1.4

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:14:01 AM UTC+10, Don Mankewich wrote:

> I'm creating documents with markdown which include reference links to
> external PDF documents which exist in the same folder. When I use pandoc to
> generate a PDF document from my markdown, there appear to be links in the
> PDF when I hover over the labels but the external PDF does not open when I
> click the link. I don't get any warnings of skipped files. Here's an
> example of my markdown reference, it's in a numbered list.
>
>  [ats alert tables](ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)
>
> I have read that pandoc references relative file paths according to the
> directory where pandoc is executed but I'm running pandoc in the directory
> containing the external PDF so I shouldn't have to add further pathing
> information should I? I'm also using Harp JS to create a static site from
> my content and the link references work in Harp so I don't want to change
> that to support pandoc. Ideally the relative paths should for both pandoc
> and Harp.
>
> Any suggestions?

* Re: Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-18  1:30   ` Don Mankewich
       [not found]     ` <5e3baa08-1fe4-417e-b930-4e0ee8a44568-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Don Mankewich @ 2017-09-18  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

An update: when I edit the PDF produced by pandoc and hover over the links
it displays an absolute path
(e.g. http://ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf for the link below).

This does not seem correct given that I am definitely running pandoc from
the directory containing the markdown and the PDF files I want to link to.

@ 2017-09-18  4:25       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-09-18  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hm, I'm not sure what is happening. As I said, I got
different behavior for a similar test.  It may have to
do with the setup on Windows, but I don't use Windows
and can't easily test.

Does it help if you do

    [ats alert tables](./ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)

+++ Don Mankewich [Sep 17 17 18:30 ]:
>   An update: when I edit the PDF produced by pandoc and hover over the
>   links it displays an absolute path
>   (e.g. http://ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf for the link below).
>   This does not seem correct given that I am definitely running pandoc
>   from the directory containing the markdown and the PDF files I want to
>   link to.
>   On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:14:01 AM UTC+10, Don Mankewich
>   wrote:
>
>   I'm creating documents with markdown which include reference links to
>   external PDF documents which exist in the same folder. When I use
>   pandoc to generate a PDF document from my markdown, there appear to be
>   links in the PDF when I hover over the labels but the external PDF does
>   not open when I click the link. I don't get any warnings of skipped
>   files. Here's an example of my markdown reference, it's in a numbered
>   list.
>    [ats alert tables](ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)
>   I have read that pandoc references relative file paths according to the
>   directory where pandoc is executed but I'm running pandoc in the
>   directory containing the external PDF so I shouldn't have to add
>   further pathing information should I? I'm also using Harp JS to create
>   a static site from my content and the link references work in Harp so I
>   don't want to change that to support pandoc. Ideally the relative paths
>   should for both pandoc and Harp.
>   Any suggestions?
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/5e3baa08-1fe4-417e-
>   b930-4e0ee8a44568%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/5e3baa08-1fe4-417e-b930-4e0ee8a44568-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-09-18  4:57   ` Don Mankewich
From: Don Mankewich @ 2017-09-18  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

No, I tried that, the link that is generated just includes the ./ after
http://, e.g. http://./ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf. It's like 'http://'
is embedded in the output by default. This could be something Latex is
doing because the links work if I generate html output from the markdown.
Unfortunately, I'm not conversant in Latex and don't know where to even
start to look for this quirky behaviour.

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:14:01 AM UTC+10, Don Mankewich wrote:

> I'm creating documents with markdown which include reference links to
> external PDF documents which exist in the same folder. When I use pandoc to
> generate a PDF document from my markdown, there appear to be links in the
> PDF when I hover over the labels but the external PDF does not open when I
> click the link. I don't get any warnings of skipped files. Here's an
> example of my markdown reference, it's in a numbered list.
>
>  [ats alert tables](ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)
>
> I have read that pandoc references relative file paths according to the
> directory where pandoc is executed but I'm running pandoc in the directory
> containing the external PDF so I shouldn't have to add further pathing
> information should I? I'm also using Harp JS to create a static site from
> my content and the link references work in Harp so I don't want to change
> that to support pandoc. Ideally the relative paths should for both pandoc
> and Harp.
>
> Any suggestions?

* Re: Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-09-18  5:09   ` Don Mankewich
From: Don Mankewich @ 2017-09-18  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This is a long shot but according to the Latex user guide on
Sharelatex.com, different Latex commands are used for external URLs and
local files.

For further references see \href{http://www.sharelatex.com}{Something Linky}
or go to the next url: \url{http://www.sharelatex.com} or open the next
file \href{run:./file.txt}{File.txt}

Is pandoc capable of generating the \href{run:./file.txt}(file.txt) or is
that left to Latex to figure out when PDF output is specified?

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:14:01 AM UTC+10, Don Mankewich wrote:

> I'm creating documents with markdown which include reference links to
> external PDF documents which exist in the same folder. When I use pandoc to
> generate a PDF document from my markdown, there appear to be links in the
> PDF when I hover over the labels but the external PDF does not open when I
> click the link. I don't get any warnings of skipped files. Here's an
> example of my markdown reference, it's in a numbered list.
>
>  [ats alert tables](ats-alert-database-diagram.pdf)
>
> I have read that pandoc references relative file paths according to the
> directory where pandoc is executed but I'm running pandoc in the directory
> containing the external PDF so I shouldn't have to add further pathing
> information should I? I'm also using Harp JS to create a static site from
> my content and the link references work in Harp so I don't want to change
> that to support pandoc. Ideally the relative paths should for both pandoc
> and Harp.
>
> Any suggestions?

* Re: Links to external PDF don't work in PDF output
       [not found] ` <3e084be5-8931-4391-ab2c-7361e992c544-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-09-20 22:31   ` Don Mankewich
From: Don Mankewich @ 2017-09-20 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)