* Conversion of underbrace (to and from Word)
@ 2017-10-03  9:36 Emma Cliffe
       [not found] ` <f240aa27-3e64-430c-82b0-55e095a5b175-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2017-10-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Morning,

I am having trouble getting pandoc to convert underbrace either into Word
or out of Word. I wondered if there is either something I am doing wrong,
whether this is a known problem (I can't find a report) or if there is a
work round for converting into Word.

If I try to convert:
\[
\underbrace{xxx\ldots xx}_n
\]
for instance then what I get in Word (linear format) is:
((xxx…xx)┬⏟)┬n
which does not render as a stretched underbrace.

I would expect to get:
⏟(xxx…xx)┬n
which is typed directly into Word as \underbrace(xxx\ldots xx)_n (then
space to trigger). You get the same linear interpretation if you use the
mouse to create the structure.

The above is the direction I am interested in. I am actually converting
from MathML and see the same behaviour as in the cut down test of md or tex
to docx I have explained above.

For completeness I tried to convert in the other direction. Starting from
the above structure in Word I end up with:
\[\underset{n}{}\]
which has not only lost the xxx...xx but underbrace has become underset
which is not the same thing.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Many thanks,
Emma

* Re: Conversion of underbrace (to and from Word)
       [not found] ` <f240aa27-3e64-430c-82b0-55e095a5b175-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-03  9:43   ` Emma Cliffe
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2017-10-03  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Sorry, should have said, this is with pandoc 1.19.2.1.
Emma

@ 2017-10-03 10:14   ` Emma Cliffe
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2017-10-03 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

And, in case it is useful, the MathML:
<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" display="block">
  <mrow>
    <munder class="msub">
      <mrow>
    <munder accentunder="false">
      <mrow>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mo class="MathClass-op">&#x2026;</mo>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mi>x</mi>
      </mrow>
      <mo>&#xFE38;</mo>
      </munder>
      </mrow>
      <mrow>
    <mi>n</mi>
    </mrow>
    </munder>
  </mrow>
</math>

This is rendered correctly by MathJax and by Firefox native rendering. If I
transform that using pandoc to LaTeX, for instance, I get:
\[\underset{n}{\underset{\}\ }{xxx\ldots xx}}\]
This renders in the same unexpected manner as the Word rendering when going
the other way.

@ 2017-10-03 20:52   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-03 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This bug got fixed in texmath in February 2016.

If you compile your pandoc against the most recent version
of texmath, it should work.

Anyway, this will be fixed in the pandoc 2.0 binary
packages.  Or you can try (at your own risk) a binary
from pandoc-nightlies.

+++ Emma Cliffe [Oct 03 17 02:36 ]:

@ 2018-01-22 18:08     ` Emma Cliffe
       [not found]       ` <150196ab-c7ac-428b-b989-583e8e91db64-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2018-01-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear John,

Thanks for the information below. For some reason I didn't see your
response when you posted it. I have just now tried the latest version of
pandoc from the downloads page (pandoc 2.1.1 Compiled with pandoc-types
1.17.3, texmath 0.10.1, skylighting 0.6) and I am getting the same problem.
The output in linear format of Word is ((xxx…xx)┬(} ))┬n which does not
render correctly. This seems to be about the same as what I was getting
before: ((xxx…xx)┬⏟)┬n and not what I would expect to get: ⏟(xxx…xx)┬n

From what I can tell the binary is using a version of texmath that contains
the below mentioned fix?

Thanks for any help you can give us.
Emma

@ 2018-01-22 19:27         ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2018-01-22 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Here's what I get when I convert

$$
\underbrace{xxx\ldots xx}_n
$$

from markdown to docx (see attached screenshot).

That looks just right to me.  I wasn't sure how to
interpret your "linear format" strings, so I'm not
sure what you're seeing.  You can attach a screenshot.

Your pandoc is compiled against a recent version
of texmath (0.10.1).

+++ Emma Cliffe [Jan 22 18 10:08 ]:
> [...]
>     into
>     >   Word or out of Word. I wondered if there is either something I
>     am doing
>     >   wrong, whether this is a known problem (I can't find a report)
>     or if
>     >   there is a work round for converting into Word.
>     >   If I try to convert:
>     >   \[
>     >   \underbrace{xxx\ldots xx}_n
>     >   \]
>     >   for instance then what I get in Word (linear format) is:
>     >   ((xxx…xx)┬⏟)┬n
>     >   which does not render as a stretched underbrace.
>     >   I would expect to get:
>     >   ⏟(xxx…xx)┬n
>     >   which is typed directly into Word as \underbrace(xxx\ldots xx)_n
>     (then
>     >   space to trigger). You get the same linear interpretation if you
>     use
>     >   the mouse to create the structure.
>     >   The above is the direction I am interested in. I am actually
>     converting
>     >   from MathML and see the same behaviour as in the cut down test
>     of md or
>     >   tex to docx I have explained above.
>     >   For completeness I tried to convert in the other direction.
>     Starting
>     >   from the above structure in Word I end up with:
>     >   \[\underset{n}{}\]
>     >   which has not only lost the xxx...xx but underbrace has become
>     underset
>     >   which is not the same thing.
>     >   Does anyone know anything more about this?
>     >   Many thanks,
>     >   Emma
>     >
>     >   --
>     >   You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>     Google
>     >   Groups "pandoc-discuss" group.
>     >   To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>     it, send
>     >   an email to [1][1]pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>     >   To post to this group, send email to
>     >   [2][2]pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>     >   To view this discussion on the web visit
>     >   [3][3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>     f240aa27-3e64-430c-
>     >   82b0-55e095a5b175%[4]40googlegroups.com.
>     d/optout.
>     >
>     >References
>     >
>     >   1. mailto:[6]pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>     >   2. mailto:[7]pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>     >   3. [8]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f240aa27-
>     3e64-430c-82b0-55e095a5b175-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=
>     email&utm_source=footer
>     >   4. [9]https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit

[-- Attachment #2: Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.22.54 AM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10229 bytes --]

* Re: Conversion of underbrace (to and from Word)
@ 2018-01-23 10:27           ` Emma Cliffe
       [not found]             ` <d253238b-b377-41c7-a0bf-44cfc2a447fc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2018-01-23 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear John,

Sorry, I should have tested more extensively. You are correct, this does
fix the LaTeX to Word conversion. However, we are actually converting
MathML to Word. When I originally reported it I got the same incorrect
result on conversion from LaTeX to Word and on conversion from MathML to
Word so I reported both at once as I assumed, obviously incorrectly that
the two issues had the same cause. I have now checked everything and the
situation is:

LaTeX to Word is now producing the correct output
MathML to Word is still producing incorrect output

The MathML is:

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" display="block">
  <mrow>
    <munder>
      <mrow>
    <munder>
      <mrow>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mo>&#x2026;</mo>
        <mi>x</mi>
        <mi>x</mi>
      </mrow>
      <mo>&#xFE38;</mo>
    </munder>
      </mrow>
      <mrow>
    <mi>n</mi>
      </mrow>
    </munder>
  </mrow>
</math>

The above renders correctly in Firefox (native rendering) and using
MathJax. I am pretty sure that this is the right MathML?

I attach a screenshot of what I get when I render the above and the output
of the transform to Word. I'll keep trying to work out what is actually
happening.

Many thanks for any insights,
Emma

On Monday, 22 January 2018 19:27:38 UTC, John MacFarlane wrote:

> [...]
> >     >   To view this discussion on the web visit
> >     >   [3][3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
> >     f240aa27-3e64-430c-
> >     >   82b0-55e095a5b175%[4]40googlegroups.com.
> >     d/optout.
> >     >
> >     >References
> >     >
> >     >   1. mailto:[6]pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
> <javascript:>
> >     >   2. mailto:[7]pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
> >     >   3. [8]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f240aa27-
> >     3e64-430c-82b0-55e095a5b175-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=
> >     email&utm_source=footer
> >     >   4. [9]https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> >
> >   --
> >   To view this discussion on the web visit

[-- Attachment #2: mathml.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 748 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Word.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 532 bytes --]

@ 2018-01-23 11:06               ` Emma Cliffe
       [not found]                 ` <0a27b5b4-cdcd-4446-a5f1-31fbdfe3b2dc-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2018-01-23 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear John,

Okay, I think that I have solved the issue. The clue was in
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/texmath-0.8.6.5/changelog where it
states "Fixed overbrace, underbrace (#82). Previously we were using the
wrong character: U+FE37 instead of U+23DE. This didn't work in Word." If I
switch the unicode character in the input mathML then the conversion does
then work correctly in a simple test.

The mathML does still render correctly so I guess I need to switch unicode
under and over braces.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your time.
Emma

@ 2018-01-23 13:55                   ` Emma Cliffe
       [not found]                     ` <333b70c6-30a1-4167-8135-f6fe87429621-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Emma Cliffe @ 2018-01-23 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear John,

Just final confirmation after retesting: to get the transform to work from
mathML to Word I needed both pandoc 2.1.1 (so presumably the fix you
referred to) *and* the correct unicode symbol in the mathML.

Thanks again,
Emma

@ 2018-01-23 17:02                       ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2018-01-23 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)