* Specifying Raw Block Elements
@ 2017-10-09  3:58 Saivan Hamama
       [not found] ` <bed5a293-ddf6-4ef6-9e8c-c55f5e4aced2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Saivan Hamama @ 2017-10-09  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Now that html5 makes defining your own custom blocks pretty usual, I have a
problem where I can't specify whether my particular tag should be a block
element or an inline element.

For example:

# Heading

We put words here

<canvas></canvas>

## More

Words should go here

Will correctly leave the canvas out as a block element, without wrapping it
with paragraph tags.

However, if I use a custom version of the canvas

# Heading

We put words here

<myowncanvas></myowncanvas>

## More

Words should go here

myowncanvas gets wrapped with a paragraph tag. I could avoid this by
wrapping with a div, I'm aware of that,
but I need to be able to specify my own custom tags,

Is there a way to achieve this?

* Re: Specifying Raw Block Elements
       [not found] ` <bed5a293-ddf6-4ef6-9e8c-c55f5e4aced2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-10  2:57   ` Saivan Hamama
       [not found]     ` <ae0ccc2e-6c5c-4d64-9a0f-33f27b8e028b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Saivan Hamama @ 2017-10-10  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It seems almost all of the issues I've been wrestling with for the last two
days are stemming from this problem. Is it possible to have a way to
specify that we want to pass html verbatim, without having pandoc modify it
at all? It seems that particular tags have been excluded, but having a
Block level object that allows us to input html would be a godsend!

Is there some reason why this wouldn't work? Maybe something as simple as:

<<>>
    ... html goes here
<<>>

Or even a command line option that allows us to specify which tags we don't
want pandoc to treat as verbatim blocks?
Eg, Svg's, myowncanvas above etc (which can be set along with the default
ones provided in pandoc)

@ 2017-10-10 16:24       ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-10 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

In the dev version, you can specify raw blocks or inline for
a given output format:

```{=html}
This is an HTML block.
```

And `this is inline HTML`{=html}.

+++ Saivan Hamama [Oct 09 17 19:57 ]:

@ 2017-10-11  0:52         ` Saivan Hamama
       [not found]           ` <f81758a8-93c5-4d35-bb61-d4255d248339-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Saivan Hamama @ 2017-10-11  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Awesome!

Are there any instructions anywhere about how to compile the dev version?

Sorry John.
That is very useful information to me at the moment :)

Saivan.

@ 2017-10-11  0:53             ` Saivan Hamama
From: Saivan Hamama @ 2017-10-11  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Is this information still
accurate? https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Installing-the-development-version-of-pandoc

@ 2017-10-11  3:36             ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]               ` <20171011033629.GA29983-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-11  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Easiest way to install the dev version from source is to
install the Haskell 'stack' tool, then clone the pandoc repository,
cd to it, and

    stack install

You could also try grabbing a binary from

https://github.com/pandoc-extras/pandoc-nightly/releases

+++ Saivan Hamama [Oct 10 17 17:52 ]:

@ 2017-10-12  3:58                 ` Saivan Hamama
       [not found]                   ` <ce0b4c71-f89e-48ce-a0f1-d49f4edebbf0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Saivan Hamama @ 2017-10-12  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Will this feature be available in the release versions of pandoc at any
point?

@ 2017-10-12 15:08                     ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-12 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Next release will be 2.0.  We are getting fairly close, I
expect another month or so.  It's taking a long time just
putting the changelog together - over 12,000 words!

+++ Saivan Hamama [Oct 11 17 20:58 ]: