* How to suppress title attribute in a CommonMark image link?
@ 2017-10-13 16:44 Jennifer Bryan
       [not found] ` <892c5a25-086a-4e19-b4c1-8975cea8df0f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jennifer Bryan @ 2017-10-13 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Why does the title "fig:" get inserted into this image link and, more
importantly, how can I prevent that?

$ echo '![](foo.png)' | pandoc -f markdown -t commonmark
![](foo.png "fig:")

It appears to be fairly specific to CommonMark, i.e. it's not there for
other flavours of markdown.

$ echo '![](foo.png)' | pandoc -f markdown -t markdown_github
![](foo.png)

* Re: How to suppress title attribute in a CommonMark image link?
       [not found] ` <892c5a25-086a-4e19-b4c1-8975cea8df0f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-13 17:31   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It's a kludge we use to distinguish images that should be
treated as figures.  You can turn off the extension
entirely using

    -f markdown-implicit_figures

I can also change the CommonMark writer so that the "fig:"
prefix is removed, as it is in the other Markdown writers.

+++ Jennifer Bryan [Oct 13 17 09:44 ]:

@ 2017-10-13 17:57     ` Jennifer Bryan
       [not found]       ` <3dcce503-9815-4a2d-aad9-b884f0e023aa-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jennifer Bryan @ 2017-10-13 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

From my narrow view of the world, changing the CommonMark writer to match
the rest here would be great!

In my real problem, the presence of this "fig:" makes image links
vulnerable to breakage via the insertion of a hard line break at the space
before "fig:". Therefore I have to also manipulate text wrapping, i.e. set
--wrap=none or --wrap=preserve to protect the links.

@ 2017-10-13 18:05         ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Jennifer Bryan [Oct 13 17 10:57 ]:
>   From my narrow view of the world, changing the CommonMark writer to
>   match the rest here would be great!

Done.

>   In my real problem, the presence of this "fig:" makes image links
>   vulnerable to breakage via the insertion of a hard line break at the
>   space before "fig:". Therefore I have to also manipulate text wrapping,
>   i.e. set --wrap=none or --wrap=preserve to protect the links.

I don't get that.  This is a perfectly valid image in
CommonMark:

![](foo.png
"fig:")

@ 2017-10-13 18:16           ` Jennifer Bryan
       [not found]             ` <d32e07da-beac-4710-b65e-7a02d9f76d43-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jennifer Bryan @ 2017-10-13 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My problem is occurring at arm's length inside an R Markdown workflow (.R
or .Rmd --> .md --> .html). I guess there's something else we're doing that
causes ?URL encoding? of the image link. This is the pandoc error I
ultimately see at the conversion to html stage for the affected image links:

pandoc: Could not fetch fooabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_files/figure-markdown_strict/unnamed-chunk-1-1.png%20%22fig:%22
fooabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_files/figure-markdown_strict/unnamed-chunk-1-1.png "fig:": openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
Error: pandoc document conversion failed with error 67

@ 2017-10-13 18:48               ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hm.  Don't know what RMarkdown is doing with this.

+++ Jennifer Bryan [Oct 13 17 11:16 ]: