* MANUAL.txt: `gfm` and `markdown_github` (GitHub-Flavored Markdown)
@ 2017-10-27  8:16 Kolen Cheung
       [not found] ` <01068d42-c013-4d0d-8439-92202707d485-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-27  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Currently, in the MANUAL.txt line 3816
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/3f0ceaf6eef73500935b044e00aff0747569810e/MANUAL.txt#L3816>,
it mentions that both gfm and markdown_github are equivalent to a bunch of
pandoc markdown extensions. But as far as I understand, gfm is a very
different beast, and should not be understood as a bunch of pandoc markdown
extensions activated, right?

I didn’t make a pull request on this however, because I think more expanded
description on the gfm variant is needed. For example, I guess it is
impossible to add extension to gfm, unlike other variants (where the
MANUAL.txt has mentioned this briefly at line 284). And for example I would
have a question on how extra gfm extension that pandoc doesn’t have will be
handled, e.g. the gfm checkbox.
​

* Re: MANUAL.txt: `gfm` and `markdown_github` (GitHub-Flavored Markdown)
       [not found] ` <01068d42-c013-4d0d-8439-92202707d485-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-27 18:13   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-27 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This could probably use more clarification in the manual.

gfm is implemented as some extensions on top of commonmark.

We should note, however, that you can't use arbitrary pandoc
extensions on top of commonmark; the commonmark parser and
writer only support a limited subset of extensions
(basically, the ones that define gfm, plus smart).

+++ Kolen Cheung [Oct 27 17 01:16 ]:

@ 2017-10-27 23:24   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-27 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks, I made some improvements here in d039f231cb.