* output text between beamer frames in pandoc 2.7?
@ 2019-04-15 19:42 Andrew Goldstone
       [not found] ` <d9ef33cc-d890-4ebb-8756-831909f2adab-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Goldstone @ 2019-04-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello--I am wondering if there is any way to get pandoc -t beamer to output
text _between_ frames with pandoc 2.7. This used to be possible, but with
the new way of treating content underneath headers above the slide level,
it appears not to be.

Here's the background.  I want to generate slides and a script for myself
from a single file; the script should include both slide material and
paragraphs of text to read out.  (People in my line of work often read out
talks rather than speaking from notes.) In beamer LaTeX, this is possible
by putting the script text between frames; the slides are generated with
`beamer` class option
`ignorenonframetext`, and the script is generated with the `article` class
and
`\usepackage{beamerarticle}`. Before pandoc 2.7, it was possible to write
markdown for this as follows:

    ## slide

    - slide stuff

    #

    Here is the script to read out.

    ## next slide

    - slide stuff

(I had two tweaked templates, one for the slides and one for the script,
and I set the slide level to 2 explicitly with the call to pandoc.) The
"Here is the script..." text would not appear in the slides but it would
appear in article mode. This trick also made it possible to use beamer
mode-switching with \mode<...> to make some material presentation-only or
script-only.

pandoc 2.7 now creates a slide to put "Here is the script..." on. And it
prevents some \mode<...> tricks since you can't get a mode switch in
between frames.

Is there any workaround? (Presenter notes with `::: notes` or `\note{}` are
not a good substitute in my view---they are good for a different purpose.)

Many thanks for any help anyone can give! Yours in document conversion,
Andrew

* Re: output text between beamer frames in pandoc 2.7?
       [not found] ` <d9ef33cc-d890-4ebb-8756-831909f2adab-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-04-15 20:08   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kftqj6nh7.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-15 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Goldstone, pandoc-discuss

I'm sorry the change broke this workflow (which I
hadn't really considered, unfortunately).  The
intent was to make slide show behavior uniform
between reveal.js and beamer.

Have you explored the \note command in beamer?

It allows you to add content to a "speaker note"
slide that will be created after the slide on
which it occurs.  This might give you what you
want in a slightly different way.

@ 2019-04-16 15:38       ` Andrew Goldstone
       [not found]         ` <F7F507E8-21C2-4A0D-84BA-D9B7B7E308C5-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Goldstone @ 2019-04-16 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Thanks so much for the quick response, John (and thanks for pandoc,
a significant part of my life for quite a while now!). I recognize
that this is a bit of an edge case, and gobbling up text under
higher-than-slide-level headers was always an unusual behavior, even
though it suited my purposes. But I'm finding it hard to come up
with another way to get something from markdown to land between the
end of one beamer frame and the beginning of the next. It is hard to
imagine how a filter could do it, though I can't give a proof that it's
impossible offhand.

I use \note (or better, the newish `::: notes` since this allows notes
to be written in markdown instead of LaTeX) when I am making brief
notes for a lecture, but it doesn't work in conjunction with preparing
a written-out script using the beamerarticle package. (\note{...}s
are just dropped by that package). The problem with using \note for
paragraphs of script is that you can only fit so much on a "notes
slide" that gets printed/screened alongside the slide proper. I am
contemplating some kind of baroque solution by adding a bunch of
LaTeX preamble fiddling with beamer style templates and pgfpages---or
abandoning purity and just using sed to move the outputted \end{frame}
around.

All best,
Andrew

@ 2019-04-16 16:02           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <yh480kbm16546u.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Goldstone; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

I suppose we could consider adding a feature whereby
a heading with the class `noslide` would not create a
slide. Would that do it?

@ 2019-04-16 16:16               ` Andrew Goldstone
       [not found]                 ` <20190416161624.GH76989-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Goldstone @ 2019-04-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

I think it would, yes---all this needs is a way to to avoid surrounding the outputted block in \begin{frame}...\end{frame}. The rest can be done with beamer options and variant templates. All best,
Andrew

@ 2019-04-16 23:05               ` Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto
From: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Maria Shinoto @ 2019-04-16 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Goldstone, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

another "o yes please" from my side as well. I am using Pandoc the same way as Andrew Goldstone since years, and a "noslide" option would be a great improvement.

Thanks and, from my side as well, thanks for Pandoc,
Maria Shinoto

@ 2019-04-17  4:40                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <m25zrd1bxn.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-04-17  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Goldstone; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Andrew Goldstone <andrew.goldstone-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> I suppose we could consider adding a feature whereby
>> a heading with the class `noslide` would not create a
>> slide. Would that do it?
>>
> I think it would, yes---all this needs is a way to to avoid surrounding the outputted block in \begin{frame}...\end{frame}. The rest can be done with beamer options and variant templates. All best,
> Andrew

Why don't you submit an enhancement request on our
GitHub issue tracker, so we don't lose track of this
suggestion.

@ 2019-04-17 14:48                       ` Andrew Goldstone
From: Andrew Goldstone @ 2019-04-17 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Done---further discussion there as needed:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5453

Thanks--all best,
Andrew