* Adjusting the indentation of nested numbered lists in docx
@ 2020-07-31 10:37 Anton Shepelev
       [not found] ` <20200731133752.86795023266c495b6a77dd4b-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-07-31 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello, all

Which settings in the reference document define the
indentation of nested numbered lists in docx?  I have tried
modifying styles "List" and "List number" -- but to no
avail. In the rendered document, the elements of a numbered
list have style "Compact" and invariably a hanging indent of
0.85 cm. How can I change that?

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

* Re: Adjusting the indentation of nested numbered lists in docx
@ 2020-08-01 17:39 ` Anton Shepelev
       [not found] ` <20200731133752.86795023266c495b6a77dd4b-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I wrote:

> Which settings in the reference document define the
> indentation of nested numbered lists in docx?  I have tried
> modifying styles "List" and "List number" -- but to no
> avail. In the rendered document, the elements of a numbered
> list have style "Compact" and invariably a hanging indent of
> 0.85 cm. How can I change that?

To be more pricise -- create in Pandoc a minimal nested numbered
list:

1.  Item one
    1.  Item two

And try to change its indentation in .docx output by modifying the
reference document. I was not able to do this. Are you? How?

/\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

@ 2020-08-01 21:44   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-01 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Shepelev, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This is hard-coded, I'm afraid.

We need to create the numbering.xml entries for ordered
lists on the fly, since they depend on start numbers and
list types.  When we generate them we use this fixed indent.

I suppose it might be possible to have pandoc read something
from the style and use it instead of this fixed value.
For example, we could include a style entry for ordered
lists -- even though it would be overwritten by the autogenerated
one we could still read a value from it and use it in the code.
Feel free to submit an issue or PR.

@ 2020-08-02 16:31     ` Anton Shepelev
       [not found]       ` <20200802193128.c8aa7e41f80663d4980b7d89-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane to Anton Shepelev:

> > Which settings in the reference document define the
> > indentation of nested numbered lists in docx?  I have tried
> > modifying styles "List" and "List number" -- but to no
> > avail. In the rendered document, the elements of a numbered
> > list have style "Compact" and invariably a hanging indent of
> > 0.85 cm. How can I change that?
> This is hard-coded, I'm afraid.
>
> We need to create the numbering.xml entries for ordered
> lists on the fly, since they depend on start numbers and
> list types.  When we generate them we use this fixed indent.

Hmmm, that is no good -- lack of flexibility in so basic a
functionality. Would you consider, for example, an option to use
the "List number" styles, sacrificing some advanced features such
as continuations, e.g. --use-list-styles. After all, that is the
purpose of list styles in MS Word, and those styles are present in
the default reference document.

> I suppose it might be possible to have pandoc read something
> from the style and use it instead of this fixed value.
> For example, we could include a style entry for ordered
> lists -- even though it would be overwritten by the autogenerated
> one we could still read a value from it and use it in the code.
> Feel free to submit an issue or PR.

Sounds possible too, but harder than using the style as is.
I cannot offer a PR, and will file an issue.

@ 2020-08-02 21:54     ` Anton Shepelev
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane:

> I suppose it might be possible to have pandoc read
> something from the style and use it instead of this fixed
> value.  For example, we could include a style entry for
> ordered lists -- even though it would be overwritten by
> the autogenerated one we could still read a value from it
> and use it in the code.  Feel free to submit an issue or
> PR.

Issue created:

    https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/6586
    [ Support customisable indentation of nested lists in .docx output ]

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.

@ 2020-08-03 20:34         ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-08-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Shepelev, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

All I can say is that there is a good reason -- which I no
longer fully remember -- why I used a fix indentation.
I believe it has to do with getting the list continuation
paragraphs (and other child block-level content) to line
up correctly, which i important.

There may be better ways to go, but it's going to take some
thought.

@ 2020-08-03 20:49           ` Anton Shepelev
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

John MacFarlane:

> All I can say is that there is a good reason -- which I no
> longer fully remember -- why I used a fix indentation.  I
> believe it has to do with getting the list continuation
> paragraphs (and other child block-level content) to line
> up correctly, which i important.

Thanks for the explanation, John, but misaligned nested
lists are no good either.

> There may be better ways to go, but it's going to take
> some thought.

I can think of one simple adjustment. As far as I
understand, at least two constants are currently hard-coded
with regard to lists and perhaps to what you call other
child block-level content:

  1.  the hanging indent, currently fixed at 0.85 cm, and
  2.  indentation per nesting level, currently fixed at 1.27
      cm.

If you would make them equal (both 0.85, both 1.27, or
1.00), nested lists would begin to line up correctly without
breaking other indented elements, because the left indent
would now match the handing indent. Instead of this:

                   1.  First level
                         2. Second level

Pandoc would produce this:

                    1.  First level
                        2. Second level

If that fix works, we might try to add some flexibility by,
say, taking this constant, from a command-line parameter or
the indent of a special style in the reference document.

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.