* Beamer: Columns change heading output
@ 2017-11-04 17:36 John Muccigrosso
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-11-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My beamer saga continues…

I noticed that headings look different when they're in a column from when
they're not, and they also affect the rest of the text in a column.

When not in a column, the heading has a different appearance as expected
and that's about it. See the first attachment for a screen shot. The latex
reads:

\protect\hypertarget{heading-2-no-columns}{%
Heading 2 no columns}}

When in a column, the appearance and the latex are a lot different. See the
second screenshot. (Ignore the missing image on the left.) The latex reads,
with a lot more context, mostly snipped:

\begin{column}{0.48\textwidth}
\begin{block}{Heading 2 in column}

\begin{itemize}

<snip>

\end{block}
\end{column}

The changes are:

1. The heading is now in a block. Maybe this is necessary inside the
column, but it gives a very different look (here, drop shadows). My latex
knowledge is crappy, so I don't know whether there's another way to do this
(though see below).
2. This block includes *all* of the remainder of the frame, which I'm
pretty sure is unnecessary. If I move the end of the block so that it
immediately follows the beginning of the block and includes just the
heading and not the rest of the frame, I get the third screen shot. The
relevant latex for that (which I edited by hand) reads:

\begin{column}{0.48\textwidth}
\begin{block}{Heading 2 in column short block}
\end{block}

This is an improvement IMO and seems like a more correct way to do the
formatting.

For fun, I tried to get rid of the block around the heading in a column
entirely, by mimicking the latex in the no-column example. Here's what I
used:

\begin{column}{0.48\textwidth}{%
\protect\hypertarget{heading-2-in-column-no-block}{%
Heading 2 in column no block}}

The result is in the last screen shot. Basically the heading text doesn't
look like a heading at all, so I don't think that worked. Again, my
ignorance at work.

Bottom line: I think the beamer writer should at least enclose only the
heading text in a block. Better would be to format the heading text so that
it comes out looking just like the no-column heading (in this theme -
Madrid - that would mean without the drop shadows).