* Prelude.!!: negative index
@ 2017-08-02  1:56 Greg Bullock
       [not found] ` <4ed75c9b-5447-42e1-a69b-a79e5f0b2ac2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Greg Bullock @ 2017-08-02  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm just trying out pandoc for the first time.  The idea really appeals.

Using

pandoc 1.19.2.1
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.4, texmath 0.9, skylighting 0.1.1.4

to convert my docx file to rst gives the subject error message:

C:\Users\Greg\Documents\Codes>pandoc --from=docx --to=rst --output=gug.rst
gug.docx
pandoc: Prelude.!!: negative index

What might be happening?  How can I work around this?

* Re: Prelude.!!: negative index
       [not found] ` <4ed75c9b-5447-42e1-a69b-a79e5f0b2ac2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-02 13:55   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20170802135519.GC38349-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-02 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's certainly a bug in pandoc, not a mistake on your part!

I have a guess about what's going on.  It would be easiest
to test if you could send or link to an input docx file
sufficient to reproduce the problem.  If you can't do that,
could you try the following experiment?

    pandoc -f docx -t native -o gug.native gug.docx

Then search gug.native to see if it contains

    Header 0

at any point...

+++ Greg Bullock [Aug 01 17 18:56 ]:
>   I'm just trying out pandoc for the first time.  The idea really
>   appeals.
>   Using
>   pandoc 1.19.2.1
>   Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.4, texmath 0.9, skylighting 0.1.1.4
>   to convert my docx file to rst gives the subject error message:
>   C:\Users\Greg\Documents\Codes>pandoc --from=docx --to=rst
>   --output=gug.rst gug.docx
>   pandoc: Prelude.!!: negative index
>   What might be happening?  How can I work around this?
>
>   --
>   To view this discussion on the web visit
>   [3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4ed75c9b-5447-42e1-
>   a69b-a79e5f0b2ac2%40googlegroups.com.
>
>References

>   2. mailto:pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>   3. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4ed75c9b-5447-42e1-a69b-a79e5f0b2ac2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   4. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

* Re: Prelude.!!: negative index
       [not found]     ` <20170802135519.GC38349-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-03  1:56       ` Greg Bullock
       [not found]         ` <e2a60168-8d99-43f4-854e-b4bd25524edb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Greg Bullock @ 2017-08-03  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you for the reply.

I'll try to create a small input docx file to demonstrate the problem.

Indeed gug.native contains two instances of Header 0, as seen in this
snippet:

,BlockQuote
 [Para [Str "Appendix"]]
,Para [Str "A",Space,Str "Instructions",Space,Str "for",Space,Str "Adding",
Space,Str "an",Space,Str "Appendix",Space,Str "29"]
,Header 0 ("figures",[],[]) [Str "FIGURES"]
,Para [Strong [Str "Figure",Space,Str "Page"]]
,Para [Strong [Str "No",Space,Str "table",Space,Str "of",Space,Str "figures"
,Space,Str "entries",Space,Str "found."]]
,Header 0 ("tables",[],[]) [Str "TABLES"]
,Para [Strong [Str "Table",Space,Str "Page"]]
,Para [Strong [Str "No",Space,Str "table",Space,Str "of",Space,Str "figures"
,Space,Str "entries",Space,Str "found."]]

In a re-post of the original message, I reported that the problem seems to
occur only when writing a reStructuredText file.  Converting the same docx
file to another format (e.g., odt or html) works without complaint. (I'd
tried to delete the original post and leave only the re-post, but it seems
that didn't take effect, or didn't take effect in time.)

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 6:55:34 AM UTC-7, John MacFarlane wrote:

> That's certainly a bug in pandoc, not a mistake on your part!
>
> I have a guess about what's going on.  It would be easiest
> to test if you could send or link to an input docx file
> sufficient to reproduce the problem.  If you can't do that,
> could you try the following experiment?
>
>     pandoc -f docx -t native -o gug.native gug.docx
>
> Then search gug.native to see if it contains
>
>     Header 0
>
> at any point...

* Re: Prelude.!!: negative index
       [not found]         ` <e2a60168-8d99-43f4-854e-b4bd25524edb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-08-03 16:10           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20170803161019.GA56119-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks!  I've created an issue to track this:
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/3830
Please submit the docx file there, if you come up with it.
That would be helpful indeed.

+++ Greg Bullock [Aug 02 17 18:56 ]:

@ 2017-08-03 17:46               ` Greg Bullock
From: Greg Bullock @ 2017-08-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)