Hmm I think we're speaking past each other. The point was the the manual section (Extension: `tex_math_dollars`) described what happens to $...$ - that is it's interpreted as TeX inline math. Before the manual said that it was going to appear as $...$ for inline math and $$...$$ for display math for LaTeX *output*, but for LaTeX output, the TeX syntax is actually converted into the LaTeX syntax (\(...\) and \[...\]). So the manual wasn't truthful. But jgm already made the change, so I think he agreed. The section of the manual I quoted did deal with the delimiters of the LaTeX output. Perhaps we were talking about two different segments of the manual. Anyway it's fixed now, so it's all good :) On Monday, 25 June 2018 21:01:17 UTC+2, Kolen Cheung wrote: > > (In resonse to a private email) Also note that by using GFM, it doesn't > "fix anything". If my guess is correct, it is because the GFM reader > doesn't parse the math equation and hence leaving it as is. But, if you > math equation contains anything that GFM parses (any markdown syntax), then > you won't get a verbatim output in the LaTeX format. > > In general, just embrace what the parser do (changing `$...$` to > `\(...\)`). This is the recommended way to do things in LaTeX. We aren't > targetting TeX but LaTeX, and unless you really want TeX primitives, stick > with the LaTeX conventions and recommendations. > > On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 7:56:54 AM UTC-7, Gandalf Saxe wrote: > > Manual says: > > > > > > > > > > > > TeX math will be printed in all output formats. How it is rendered > depends on the output format:Markdown, LaTeX, Emacs Org mode, ConTeXt, > ZimWikiIt will appear verbatim between $ characters. > > > > > > However converting inline math `$...$` from markdown to LaTeX, converts > it to `\(...\)` syntax. Am I misunderstanding the manual or should this be > updated? > > > > > > Example .md input: > > `This is a simple inline $e=mc^2$ math.` > > > > > > Example command: > > `pandoc test.md -o test.tex` > > > > > > Example .tex output: > > `This is a simple inline \(e=mc^2\) math.` > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/22a6ffad-3572-4adf-a8ec-2a536b6f3e12%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.