* panflute: a pythonic alternative to pandocfilters
@ 2016-04-26  5:12 Sergio Correia
       [not found] ` <CAKGY2Pk8FYax5vwyh=Spzyi8gB9d95GkjV+5tNKLpenpC1Fgfw@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found] ` <b6a8c6cf-cae7-403a-99e9-4e170a150428-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-04-26  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all,

After being a heavy user of pandocfilters.py for a few years, I wrote an
alternative package (with a very similar API) that takes a more pythonic
approach:

   - Elements are proper objects (with properties and methods) instead of
   dicts and lists
   - Elements can be created using named arguments: Header(Str('The'),
   Space, Str('Title'), level=1)
   - Batteries are included: I included functions that I ended up reusing
   through my different filters\

The source and documentation is
here: https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute . It currently uses Python
3 but if there is demand from Python 2 users we could try a port.

Ports of some of the existing filters are
here: https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute/tree/master/examples/panflute

More examples will be placed
here: https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute-filters

Feel free to comment here or on github; any suggestions or pull requests
are more than welcome :)

Best,
Sergio

* Re: panflute: a pythonic alternative to pandocfilters
       [not found]   ` <CAKGY2Pk8FYax5vwyh=Spzyi8gB9d95GkjV+5tNKLpenpC1Fgfw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-26  9:36     ` Wagner Macedo
       [not found]       ` <CAKGY2Pk1j4MJnxKHpT4YZZkooJ-Kd05it9iGHFY1eNw7dPyjog-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2016-04-26  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Excellent, congratulations for the effort.

What subversion of Python 3 is targeted?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/b6a8c6cf-cae7-403a-99e9-4e170a150428%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/b6a8c6cf-cae7-403a-99e9-4e170a150428%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

@ 2016-04-26 15:00         ` Sergio Correia
       [not found]           ` <5ee6e6e1-8e2e-450d-b793-c0464e4be449-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-04-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Did a quick check of the whatsnew for 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 and it seems I'm not
using features specific to any of these sub versions. That said, for big
documents it might be faster to have 3.5+ because OrderedDict was rewritten
in C.

@ 2016-04-26 15:20             ` Wagner Macedo
       [not found]               ` <CAKGY2PmThM-67XiA9Yqy+KfY4MPJu9QN1dGpid3qS4zvz4=a+w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2016-04-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Agree. I checked some of the documentation and I'm impressed, it's a very
good job.

I'll try in the following days to convert some of my current scripts to
panflute and I'll let you know.

--
Wagner Macedo

@ 2016-04-27  8:23                 ` Samuel Coavoux
       [not found]                   ` <bbc35e99-d664-45d4-b80a-a0847c298331-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Samuel Coavoux @ 2016-04-27  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This looks very promising, thank you for the package.

One thing that is missing from pandocfilters is the ability to easily
manipulate sequences of elements rather than single ones. Something like
(pseudo code):

    if type(elem) == "Quoted" and type(next.elem) == "Cite":

there was a library aiming at this functionality, pandocpatterns[^1], but
it hasn't been updated in a while, and I personally never could make it
work.

Do you think that it would be possible to implement this in panflutes?

[^1]: https://bitbucket.org/elliottslaughter/pandocpatterns ; discussed on
the list here :
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/pandoc-discuss/pandocpatterns/pandoc-discuss/NsEGkTN4fnk/Y520jtQ5EzkJ

@ 2016-04-27  8:46                     ` Sergio Correia
       [not found]                       ` <6a0a11df-8825-4e0c-8582-948922e9f66b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-04-27  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've thought a bit about adding .parent and .next .previous elements. It
can be done, but with two disclaimers (which I'm not sure if make it worth
it):

   1. With some elements, such as tables, parent is not very useful as I
   don't know whether a list belonged to a cell in the header or in the table
   body (same for definition lists, etc.). A solution would be to add special
   TableCell, TableRow, TableHeader, TableData elements, and so on, but this
   complicates things. On the other hand, we could then do filters that apply
   only to table cells and so on.
   2. People might try to modify elem.next or elem.parent, which shouldn't
   be done, as it messes up walk() function. This is a similar problem to
   modifying a list that is being iterated.

Do you thing it would be useful, given these issues?

@ 2016-04-27  9:47                         ` Samuel Coavoux
       [not found]                           ` <CAFyE9YN5Hk0Enx02mzR2QtPoZ_7swo78KQoJMx+nUwmzksFnQg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Samuel Coavoux @ 2016-04-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't know about the first disclaimer. I feel like there is a way around
the second, at least for .next elements: we could raise a flag anytime a
.next element is modified and apply a function later on, when its turn
comes. For instance, in pseudo-code, if I wanted to include Cite inside a
previous Quoted element and if there were a .next method, I could do:

    next_element_reused = False

    if type(elem) == "Quoted" and type(elem.next) == "Cite":
        elem.content.append(elem.next)
        next_element_reused = True
        return(elem)
    elif next_element_reused: # to remove the next element
        next_element_reused = False
        return()

But that would be easier to write as something like:

    if type(elem) == "Quoted" and type(elem.next) == "Cite":
        elem.content.append(elem.next)
        elem.apply_to_next = "skip" # or apply a custom function
        return(elem)

I hope this makes sense...

@ 2016-04-27 11:43                             ` Sergio Correia
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-04-27 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'll release a version that passes pep8 and other style checks, and they
work on an experimental approach to sequences.

Ideally I would also want walk() to accept selectors (like css selectors:
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_selectors.asp ).
Doing this change would simplify many filters, by removing the if
conditions present in every filter function.

@ 2016-04-27 11:49                             ` Wagner Macedo
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2016-04-27 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

A finite state machine, isn't it? It would be useful.

@ 2016-05-07 18:43   ` Sergio Correia
       [not found]     ` <22e266e0-843e-4a87-af41-df0cf37ab7ea-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-05-07 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I have added several useful features to
panflute. At this point, I think the API is stable enough for production
use (i.e. don't expect it to be different one year from now), and much more
powerful and simpler that all the alternatives (at least if you use
Python). Changes include:

   - A detailed website build with sphinx:
   http://scorreia.com/software/panflute/ . It includes examples, installation
   instructions (just run pip!), and the documentation.
   - Elements are now aware of their parents and siblings. Thus, you can do
   elem.parent , elem.next, etc.
   - I added a few elements (TableRow, TableCell) so working with tables
   and lists is way easier.

Note that the examples might be useful even by themselves. They include
adding CSV tables, "include" directives for other markdown files, etc.

Cheers,

@ 2016-05-09 17:09       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20160509170931.GB3958-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-05-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think this looks great, and I'm tempted to move towards
deprecating pandocfilters in favor of this (since I already
have too many packages to maintain).

Sergio, does it require python 3?  If so, that might be a
reason for keeping pandocfilters around.  Or is there a way
to make it compatible with python 2 as well?

+++ Sergio Correia [May 07 16 11:43 ]:

@ 2016-05-09 18:24           ` Sergio Correia
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-05-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It uses py3 but there are only a few critical points (in the io.py file),
so if there is interest from py2 users I guess it can be ported in maybe a
couple dozen of lines. I am a bit reluctant to do the port though, as I
haven't been using py2 in a while and an active user might be more up to
date with its nuances (also, I don't know how many people are still using
py2 for this).

@ 2016-11-29 13:34           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-11-29 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In the end, would pandocfilters be deprecating soon? I kind of worry the
amount of effort needed to port a filter from pandocfilters' to panflute's.

@ 2016-12-01 12:23   ` Stefan Björk
       [not found]     ` <CABsBQU6JjXNC+8gWgVRg3w9zRZz7HTtVkrpDm7WUBU4EVOp3aQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Stefan Björk @ 2016-12-01 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for this, Sergio. I wrote my first filter the other day
(converting inline LaTeX citations to pandoc citations) and I ended up
panflute, much thanks to your efforts to simplify things with proper
objects.

@ 2016-12-01 17:13       ` Sergio Correia
       [not found]         ` <CABsBQU75O171c=+LJNT=ZZHQUeXRRNVnmcng9tkNFSrVouPnYg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-12-01 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Great to hear that! Feel free to drop any feedback in the github page if
you have ideas on how to improve.

Cheers,

       [not found]           ` <CABsBQU75O171c=+LJNT=ZZHQUeXRRNVnmcng9tkNFSrVouPnYg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-02  8:05             ` Stefan Björk
From: Stefan Björk @ 2016-12-02  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I need to improve my python skills. I'm a Perl hacker. 😉

Den 1 dec. 2016 6:13 em skrev "Sergio Correia" <sergio.correia-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

Great to hear that! Feel free to drop any feedback in the github page if
you have ideas on how to improve.

Cheers,

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 7:24:02 AM UTC-5, Stefan Björk wrote:

> Thank you for this, Sergio. I wrote my first filter the other day
> (converting inline LaTeX citations to pandoc citations) and I ended up
> panflute, much thanks to your efforts to simplify things with proper
> objects.

>> Dear all,
>>
>> After being a heavy user of pandocfilters.py for a few years, I wrote an
>> alternative package (with a very similar API) that takes a more pythonic
>> approach:
>>

>>    - Elements are proper objects (with properties and methods) instead
>>    of dicts and lists
>>    - Elements can be created using named arguments: Header(Str('The'),
>>    Space, Str('Title'), level=1)
>>    - Batteries are included: I included functions that I ended up
>>    reusing through my different filters\
>>
>> The source and documentation is here: https://github.com/sergi
>> ocorreia/panflute . It currently uses Python 3 but if there is demand
>> from Python 2 users we could try a port.
>>
>> Ports of some of the existing filters are here: https://github.com/sergi
>> ocorreia/panflute/tree/master/examples/panflute
>>
>> More examples will be placed here: https://github.com/sergi
>> ocorreia/panflute-filters
>>
>> Feel free to comment here or on github; any suggestions or pull requests
>> are more than welcome :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Sergio
>>
>> --

>> gid/pandoc-discuss/b6a8c6cf-cae7-403a-99e9-4e170a150428%40go
>> oglegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/b6a8c6cf-cae7-403a-99e9-4e170a150428%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --
msgid/pandoc-discuss/c67ed6c6-44e8-48d6-b0c1-7386e7b0ad44%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/c67ed6c6-44e8-48d6-b0c1-7386e7b0ad44%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

@ 2016-12-14  4:47   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <5799849c-d315-48ac-8858-068f0d099dc1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-12-14  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi, all,

I am working on porting panflute to Python 2&3, it uses `pasteurize` with
minimum manual effort to make it work. However,

1. it probably means that the source and the package in PyPI will be
different (only the latter one is "pasteurized")
2. more testing is welcome
3. and there's a question of if there's enough need of panflute supporting
Python2 worth the effort

For the last point, @jgm has mentioned the thought of deprecating
pandocfilters. If Python 2 support means he can do so and get more time to
focus on more important things, it is an important factor to consider.

And another question for Sergio: since you have a lot of experience in both
pandocfilters and panflute, would it be possible to have some sort of
"porting guide" for pandocfilters to panflute migration?

@ 2016-12-14  5:33       ` Sergio Correia
       [not found]         ` <86c756a1-40d9-4616-8c6d-e5ca4b2fa706-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Sergio Correia @ 2016-12-14  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> And another question for Sergio: since you have a lot of experience in
> both pandocfilters and panflute, would it be possible to have some sort of
> "porting guide" for pandocfilters to panflute migration?

If at some point the official recommendation becomes to start using
panflute, I can surely add a porting guide. So far I haven't, partly
because I don't want to come off as pushing panflute too hard.

Ideally I would love to have a tool like 2to3 that allows conversion of
filters from pandocfilters to panflute, but write something like that would
probably be a *huge* undertaking (i.e. not worth it)

@ 2016-12-18  2:13           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2016-12-18  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss