* Different container and item languages
@ 2021-10-13 14:36 ` jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]   ` <38c03aca-c194-4a4d-8e10-55e394056b3fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-10-13 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

(I would have thought this would have come up before, but I haven't been
able to find a thread on it.)

I have a number of book sections that are in one language, when the book
that contains them is titled in another. When the book's language is not
English, but the section's is, this results in the book title getting
capitalized according to English rules and not those of the language (say,
German).

Is there any way around this? I don't see anything like
"container-language" in csljson, which I'm exporting from Zotero to get my
biblio file.

TIA.

* Re: Different container and item languages
       [not found]   ` <38c03aca-c194-4a4d-8e10-55e394056b3fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-10-13 14:58     ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-10-13 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

There is no way to set the language of individual items or fields in CSL. You will have to use a modified version of your style file (*.csl) where you remove all `text-case="title"` or `text-case="capitalize-all"` attributes. Then, you will have to capitalize your titles by hand in Zotero.

More informations here about how to write or modify a style: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles

Le Wednesday 13 October 2021 à 07:36:28AM, jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org a écrit :
> (I would have thought this would have come up before, but I haven't been able
> to find a thread on it.)
>
> I have a number of book sections that are in one language, when the book that
> contains them is titled in another. When the book's language is not English,
> but the section's is, this results in the book title getting capitalized
> according to English rules and not those of the language (say, German).
>
> Is there any way around this? I don't see anything like "container-language" in
> csljson, which I'm exporting from Zotero to get my biblio file.
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> pandoc-discuss/38c03aca-c194-4a4d-8e10-55e394056b3fn%40googlegroups.com.

> [2] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/38c03aca-c194-4a4d-8e10-55e394056b3fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

* AW: Different container and item languages
@ 2021-10-13 15:05       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]         ` <e522bfcb41fc4e87ae4811f2311866e8-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-10-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

True, there's not way to set the language of individual fields.
But there's still an easier solution: set the language of the particular item to something other than english (e.g. German) and title case the chapter title manually.

Denis

@ 2021-10-13 18:15           ` amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]             ` <f801c9d3-2e9b-4538-98c6-c402013874aen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: amph...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-10-13 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The shortcoming identified by the OP is a bit more complex. Consider the
need to hyphenate an item title. Hyphenation should be done according to
the rules of the language involved.

If the item title has internal quotation marks, it may be important to
ensure that those also agree with the language of the item title.

This is not an unusual when dealing with such things as the proceedings of
international conferences. Iterated manual tuning may be the only option if
a good result is required and there is no mechanism to specify a language
for each item.

--
Rik

@ 2021-10-13 18:58               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-10-13 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Rik,

these are indeed serious issues. Unfortunately, there’s no official solution to deal with this in CSL yet. There’s an extended version called CSL-M (https://citeproc-js.readthedocs.io/en/latest/csl-m/) that contains a lot of useful extendsions, and that supports these kind of issues.

But, really, multilingual bibliographies are tricky beasts. BibLaTeX will add multilingual features in a future version, but I don’t know when that will be released.

Denis

@ 2021-10-14 19:14     ` jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]       ` <55bc51a4-65cc-4dff-b92d-771fbc0302d1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-10-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, everyone. It's too bad such a common situation isn't covered by
default.

@ 2021-10-14 21:49         ` 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss @ 2021-10-14 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw