* Lua filter to automatically tag keywords for TeX indexing
@ 2022-11-03  1:20 bapt a
       [not found] ` <7f570676-2876-4e29-a8c0-9a765617f141n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: bapt a @ 2022-11-03  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all,

I've started writing a technical book using Quarto markdown, which uses
pandoc with Lua filters under the hood to produce a website as well as the
publisher's pdf format (via LaTeX).
I quite like to keep the source document as plain as possible, and I'm
wondering if I could avoid the use of [concept]{.index}, which gets turned
into \index{concept}, and instead write a Lua filter with my custom list of
keywords, and have pandoc automatically match them as they appear in the
text.
As a proof of principle I wrote the following code (see below), which
matches specific keywords, and reformats them as small-caps. I quickly
realised that trailing punctuation, such as "concept, ..." will fail to
match, so I'm using gsub to strip such punctuation before matching. It
works, but I'm a bit worried:

- what's the overhead of such a filter, in practice? From what I
understand, every single string element in the AST will be processed by
gsub then tested for a match. Are Lua filters walking down the AST fast
enough that I shouldn't worry about it? (as far as I can tell on small
examples, it seems fine)

- assuming this idea is reasonable, I might want to do a few similar
operations, e.g. reformatting program languages (as in this example code),
wrapping keywords in \index{}, etc., and the exact format will often depend
on the output target (html vs TeX etc.). Is there a better construct for
this than successive if/else statements to look for matches? (I don't know
much Lua)

Best regards,

baptiste

Lua filter:
-----

local text = require 'text'
local pandoc = require 'pandoc'

-- keywords to look for in the document
local langs = {"Matlab", "R", "Julia", "C++"}

function Includes(tab, val)
-- strip trailing punctuation before matching
local bare = string.gsub(val,"[%.|,|;|:]", "")

for index, value in ipairs(tab) do
if value == bare then
return true
end
end

return false
end

function Replace_langname(elem)
if Includes(langs, elem.text) then
return pandoc.SmallCaps(text.lower(elem.text))
else
return elem
end
end

return {{Str = Replace_langname}}

* Re: Lua filter to automatically tag keywords for TeX indexing
       [not found] ` <7f570676-2876-4e29-a8c0-9a765617f141n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-03 19:18   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-03 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Iterating over all possible values at every string can be expensive. You can speed up the process by rewriting Includes like this:

```
local bool_tables = {}

function Includes(tab, val)
  -- strip trailing punctuation before matching
  local bare = string.gsub(val,"[%.|,|;|:]", "")
  -- The first time a given value of tab is tested in Includes,
  -- a table is added in bool_tables which contains
  -- a boolean key-value entry for each element in tab.
  if not bool_tables[tab] then
    bool_tables[tab] = {}
    for _, elem in ipairs(tab) do
      bool_tables[tab][elem] = true
    end
  end
  -- So we only have to test once for the key-value entry
  -- instead of iterating over all elements in tab
  -- every time Inclues is called.
  return bool_tables[tab][val]
end
```

@ 2022-11-03 19:39   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <ECDE1635-3DD4-4E57-8D66-E546B4742622-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-11-03 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The AST walking is very fast.  See the benchmarks at the beginning of https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html for one example.

> - assuming this idea is reasonable, I might want to do a few similar operations, e.g. reformatting program languages (as in this example code), wrapping keywords in \index{}, etc., and the exact format will often depend on the output target (html vs TeX etc.). Is there a better construct for this than successive if/else statements to look for matches? (I don't know much Lua)

In lua you can do

string.gusb(val, [“(%l*)”], function (word)
    if indexable[word] then
      .. whatever ..
    end
  end)

This will run the function on every group of letters in the matched string.
Here I’m assuming you have a lua table indexable that maps words to true, e.g.

{ cow: true, horse: true }

That will be much faster than iterating through an array as you’re doing here.

@ 2022-11-04 21:26       ` bapt a
From: bapt a @ 2022-11-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss