Sorry for answering myself. I have RTFMed a bit in the while. I actually hint this can be simply done with a LUA filter. I will try to implement it as a self-exercice and report the result here. On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 9:34:26 AM UTC+2 Vin Cent wrote: > Hi, > > I am generating epub3 from latex source. > I was wondering why footnotes show a backlink to the original text when I > display the document in calibre, and why they do not when I display the > document on a kobo reader... > > ... until I found the backlink is indeed well present. It is "just" not > displayed by kobo because the character set (by pandoc, I think) has no > rendering on their font. > > The backlink character, copied and pasted from the .epub document itself, > seems to be "↩︎". > > I see two possible tricks here so that the link will appear on kobo : > 1. Change the character to another one that would be rendered by kobo. > 2. Change the default font of the document to one that has rendering for > that character. > > I have tried all available fonts on my device. There are actually three > classes of them. > (Listing them all below, this might be of interest to somebody in the > future) > > Avenir Next ; Georgia ; Kobo Nickel : these fonts render absolutely > nothing for that character, leading the human to believe the backlink does > not exist. It is present, clickable, just not rendered. > > Amasis ; Caecilia ; Gill Sans ; Malabar ; OpenDislexic : these fonts > render "__" for that character. I find it "better" than the first family, > but still not great. It is not obvious for a non-tehnical human that this > is a backlink to the text. > > AR UDJingxihei ; Kobo UD Kakugo ; Kobo Tsukishi Mincho : display oriental > character (I think this is chinese / japanese depending on font) for the > backlink character. > > > Therefore, I tend to favor the first solution. Do you guys know of a way > to customize the "backlink ↩︎" character set by pandoc in epub ? > Or is there a third approach ? > > Thanks, > > Vincent > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/23e0bec1-2642-49d7-b6d5-d440caf74fdcn%40googlegroups.com.