I like this idea as a first iteration of the feature. Will it be difficult to merge the current "reference docx" system into the full-fledged template system? I expect most people do not want to manually unzip and edit XML and would rather edit a template document within Word. It should be possible to trim the opening and closing empty paragraphs (i.e. detect when a paragraph only contains a control statement like $for$), or actually manipulate the XML tree. On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 12:40:27 PM UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote: > > The simplest idea would be to run the template resolver > on word/document.xml from the reference.docx, to produce > the new word/document.xml from the document body and > metadata values. > > This could work, I think. However, except in simple cases > you'd have to edit word/document.xml with a text editor, > rather than using Word, in order to get the template control > commands in the right place. If you edit with Word, you'll > get things like > > > > $for(author)$ > > > > > $author.name$ ($author.institute$) > > > > > $endfor$ > > > > which (for two authors) would resolve to: > > > > > > > > > > > Author 1 (Institute 1) > > > > > > > > > > > Author 2 (Institute 2) > > > > > > > > > > This is valid (though I don't know if we can guarantee that > in all cases), but contains a number of empty paragraphs. > > > +++ Ophir Lifshitz [Nov 01 17 22:17 ]: > > It might be useful to replace the limited "reference-doc" system with > a > > full-fledged template system. Users could then naturally create a > > template as a .docx file¹ that could include $for$ loops, $variable$ > > substitution, and so on as usual. > > ___ > > ¹ or .dotx too, I suppose? My knowledge of Word templates is at least > > 15 years old. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/25ab9cfc-04e7-4cca-be75-b77bb4f996bc%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.