* Citeproc disambiguation error (note style)
@ 2022-07-27  0:32 Ian Cornelius
       [not found] ` <8ac1d845-5ac6-4d76-8c72-d3fa9f34eed5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ian Cornelius @ 2022-07-27  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I find that citeproc fails to disambiguate later citations in note styles
when the given bibliographic items are not each cited at least twice.

The attached markdown file serves to illustrate the behavior on my system.
(Update PATH/TO/ with the path to the CSL styles repo on your system.)

Run, e.g.

$ pandoc disambiguation-test.md --citeproc -o test.html

I get the result attached as pandoc-run-1.png. Notice that the citation in
note 2 is ambiguous.

Now uncomment the final citation in the markdown file and run pandoc again.
If both items are cited at least twice, citeproc disambiguates properly, as
shown in pandoc-run-2.png.

I am running pandoc 2.18.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Ian Cornelius

[-- Attachment #2: pandoc-run-2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 72761 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: disambiguation-test.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 1096 bytes --]

---
csl: PATH/TO/styles/modern-humanities-research-association.csl
references:
- id: Turville-PetrePuttingItRight2002
  author:
    - family: Turville-Petre
      given: Thorlac
  citation-key: Turville-PetrePuttingItRight2002
  container-title: Yearbook of Langland Studies
  issued:
    - year: 2002
  page: 41-65
  title: >-
    Putting it right: the corrections of Huntington Library MS. HM 128 and BL
    Additional MS. 35287
  title-short: Putting it right
  type: article-journal
  volume: '16'

- id: Turville-PetreSirAdrianFortescue2000
  author:
    - family: Turville-Petre
      given: Thorlac
  citation-key: Turville-PetreSirAdrianFortescue2000
  container-title: Yearbook of Langland Studies
  issued:
    - year: 2000
  page: 29-48
  title: Sir Adrian Fortescue and his copy of *Piers Plowman*
  title-short: Sir Adrian Fortescue
  type: article-journal
  volume: '14'
---

Lorem ipsum [@Turville-PetreSirAdrianFortescue2000; @Turville-PetrePuttingItRight2002].
Dolor sit [@Turville-PetrePuttingItRight2002].
<!--
Amet [@Turville-PetreSirAdrianFortescue2000].
-->

# Bibliography

[-- Attachment #4: pandoc-run-1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 66461 bytes --]

* Re: Citeproc disambiguation error (note style)
       [not found] ` <8ac1d845-5ac6-4d76-8c72-d3fa9f34eed5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-07-27  1:11   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-07-27  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Looks like a bug. It would be helpful if you'd
report it at https://github.com/jgm/citeproc/issues