* Is the usage of "longtable" hard-coded into current Pandoc?
@ 2015-07-04 18:41 kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
       [not found] ` <37a4c533-b6b8-4f8c-af74-52c37c0798bf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-07-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It occurred to me that what I had thought of previously may not work:
modifying the LaTeX template to not use `longtable`, but another package
instead and get classoption `twocolumn` to work.

This may be because the LaTeX  "micro code" (my name for it) for tables may
not work when simply loading a different table package. Is this assumption
correct?

Do I indeed have to resort into writing my own raw LaTeX code if I want
tables in two-column output?

* Re: Is the usage of "longtable" hard-coded into current Pandoc?
       [not found] ` <37a4c533-b6b8-4f8c-af74-52c37c0798bf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-07-04 22:26   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150704222645.GD11787-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-04 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org [Jul 04 15 11:41 ]:
>   It occurred to me that what I had thought of previously may not work:
>   modifying the LaTeX template to not use `longtable`, but another
>   package instead and get classoption `twocolumn` to work.
>   This may be because the LaTeX  "micro code" (my name for it) for tables
>   may not work when simply loading a different table package. Is this
>   assumption correct?

Correct, use of longtable is hard coded.  This is quite
unfortunate, and I've long been wanting a better alternative
that will work with 2-column text but also break across
pages when needed.  Haven't found one yet.

Failing that, it may be worth having an option for regular
tables.

>   Do I indeed have to resort into writing my own raw LaTeX code if I want
>   tables in two-column output?

It's probably possible to redefine the longtable environment
to something else in your preamble.

@ 2015-07-04 23:54       ` Wagner Macedo
       [not found]         ` <CAKGY2P=97XY+AW_+KBNevd8LDD+hhbbNtaT__utC-B+2CGJ=mg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2015-07-04 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello John,

I also have an issue with long tables due to 'longtables' sometimes
unnecessarily split small tables (depending where you insert). So, while we
don't have a better option how about if pandoc provide an option to use
standard tabular instead of the default longtables?

--
Wagner Macedo

@ 2015-07-05 21:06           ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
       [not found]             ` <76171d01-68c8-4927-99ec-560e3280659f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-07-05 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

As long as this is not yet implemented, maybe a little hint in the
docu/README should be placed explaining that…

   - …Markdown tables do not work in PDF/LaTeX/Beamer output,
   - …and will even stop to create *any* of the desired output unless the
   Markdown table is removed altogether or replaced by appropriat raw_tex
   table code.

@ 2015-07-06  4:12               ` Wagner Macedo
       [not found]                 ` <a1f74398-0593-452e-b0d0-43c66f72304c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2015-07-06  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't see what you are talking about of not implemented. Markdown tables is very well converted to latex. But unfortunately has some issues that isn't suited to every situations and I agree to maintain longtables as the default option, as the standard latex 'table' environment with 'tabular' has other issues such as not handle footnotes, not adjust columns and not split between pages.

If you can live with all these limitations I used in some of my documents a filter that I wrote in Python to read a table and write a tabular instead of longtables.

@ 2015-07-06 13:21                   ` kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg
       [not found]                     ` <5e1a514c-9422-4fc6-8257-5040990ceb53-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg @ 2015-07-06 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Wagner, you was asking *“how about if pandoc provide an option to use
standard tabular instead of the default longtables?”* (All this is in the
context of -V classoption:twocolumn, which I did not sufficiently emphasize
in my comment, sorry.)

This is not implemented yet…

Or is it?!?

Thank you about your hint to your filter. :) Does Google easily find it?

​

@ 2015-07-06 14:03                       ` Wagner Macedo
       [not found]                         ` <CAKGY2Pm6nyJdRWG6cwAuFoQcZ=LFUPo+y89Tg6m9bv+X96n0MQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Wagner Macedo @ 2015-07-06 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I really don't know if this is implemented.

My filter to use tabular was sent to this thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pandoc-discuss/RUC-tuu_qf0/h-H3RRVt1coJ
in this group.

--
Wagner Macedo

@ 2022-07-19 20:43           ` Richard Huntsinger
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-19 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes!  We need a way to generate tabular rather longtable tables to deal
with nested tables.  longtable does not support nested tables, tabular
does.  Meanwhile, can you suggest some work-around to deal with nested
tables?

@ 2022-07-19 20:46                   ` Richard Huntsinger
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-19 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Can you provide me/us this filter to write tabular instead of longtable?
Such a lua filter would be wonderful.

@ 2022-07-19 20:55                           ` Richard Huntsinger
From: Richard Huntsinger @ 2022-07-19 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss