* Determining that a Pandoc Variable is the Empty String
@ 2023-03-08  4:41 S. Manning
       [not found] ` <baea52e4f4b9a22d832faa30ab3fd116-aFO/2INALiozYggVrLCuDg@public.gmane.org>
From: S. Manning @ 2023-03-08  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc discuss

I would like to add a tag system to my static site which I generate with
Pandoc templates.  Adding a tags: variable in myPage.yaml is easy, but
then I want to add links from pages with the tag to the page for that
tag.  Code like:

$for(tags)$
$endfor$

adds a link even if the tags variable is empty ("tags: " in the YAML
file).

How can I check that the tag is not empty or a null string or however
Pandoc defines it?

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#interpolated-variables alludes to
variable types such as string and list, but does not define them or
explain how to get the attributes of complex variables such as lists.

* Re: Determining that a Pandoc Variable is the Empty String
       [not found] ` <baea52e4f4b9a22d832faa30ab3fd116-aFO/2INALiozYggVrLCuDg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-08  4:44   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <DA455835-3B72-4022-A761-E7A96E904EEA-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-03-08  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try

tags: []

in your YAML if you don't want the for loop to be executed.

@ 2023-03-08  4:50       ` S. Manning
From: S. Manning @ 2023-03-08  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That works for me!  I will add it to my 'lab notes'