* Pandoc as webservice
@ 2014-02-27  7:19 Martin Fenner
       [not found] ` <f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-02-27  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear list,

I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
http://book.openingscience.org. I would like to do the same with a Pandoc
webservice that ideally is triggered every time a markdown file changes or
every 24 hours. I'm pretty sure someone has done this before. Can you
provide some pointers and/or feedback?

Thanks,

Martin

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found] ` <f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-02-27  8:25   ` Gergely Daróczi
       [not found]     ` <CAPvvxJXNLM1vxbyq+rHyKVVh3yjoGuk5guknw=96uYfT5vUtnA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gergely Daróczi @ 2014-02-27  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear Martin,

slightly off-topic, but if you are using GH pages, there is no real need to
turn md to HTML as Jekyll does that.
See e.g. or homepage at http://rapport-package.info/ and the sources at
https://github.com/Rapporter/rapport/tree/gh-pages/_includes

Best,
Gergely

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Martin Fenner <mf-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
> files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
> http://book.openingscience.org. I would like to do the same with a Pandoc
> webservice that ideally is triggered every time a markdown file changes or
> every 24 hours. I'm pretty sure someone has done this before. Can you
> provide some pointers and/or feedback?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956%40googlegroups.com
> .

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]     ` <CAPvvxJXNLM1vxbyq+rHyKVVh3yjoGuk5guknw=96uYfT5vUtnA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-02-27  8:56       ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]         ` <ffebb980-69e3-4ecb-adf2-c583274d6bd4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-02-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Gergely,

thank you for your answer, but I should have been clear that I need to use
Pandoc as markdown to HTML converter - I use citations (and some other
Pandoc-specific features).

Best,

Martin

Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 09:25:53 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:

> Dear Martin,
>
> slightly off-topic, but if you are using GH pages, there is no real need
> to turn md to HTML as Jekyll does that.
> See e.g. or homepage at http://rapport-package.info/ and the sources at
> https://github.com/Rapporter/rapport/tree/gh-pages/_includes
>
> Best,
> Gergely
>

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Martin Fenner <m...-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
>> files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
>> http://book.openingscience.org. I would like to do the same with a
>> Pandoc webservice that ideally is triggered every time a markdown file
>> changes or every 24 hours. I'm pretty sure someone has done this before.
>> Can you provide some pointers and/or feedback?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> --
>> .
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956%40googlegroups.com
>> .

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]         ` <ffebb980-69e3-4ecb-adf2-c583274d6bd4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-02-27  9:26           ` Gergely Daróczi
       [not found]             ` <CAPvvxJXua3k+Uw_8T8uWzApJ3zVUXk_enyxnSAVAFw+ev=1KcA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gergely Daróczi @ 2014-02-27  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, that makes sense. Then another slightly off-topic idea: you could set
up a pre-commit hook in your local git repository, so that it could convert
your md files to HTML automatically before commiting the changes.

I promise I won't bother you with any other alternate solution :)

Best,
Gergely

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Martin Fenner <mf-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Gergely,
>
> thank you for your answer, but I should have been clear that I need to use
> Pandoc as markdown to HTML converter - I use citations (and some other
> Pandoc-specific features).
>
> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 09:25:53 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:
>>
>> Dear Martin,
>>
>> slightly off-topic, but if you are using GH pages, there is no real need
>> to turn md to HTML as Jekyll does that.
>> See e.g. or homepage at http://rapport-package.info/ and the sources at
>> https://github.com/Rapporter/rapport/tree/gh-pages/_includes
>>
>> Best,
>> Gergely
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Martin Fenner <m...-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
>>> files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
>>> http://book.openingscience.org. I would like to do the same with a
>>> Pandoc webservice that ideally is triggered every time a markdown file
>>> changes or every 24 hours. I'm pretty sure someone has done this before.
>>> Can you provide some pointers and/or feedback?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>
>>> --
>>> msgid/pandoc-discuss/f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956%
>>> 40googlegroups.com.
>>>

>>  --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ffebb980-69e3-4ecb-adf2-c583274d6bd4%40googlegroups.com
> .

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]             ` <CAPvvxJXua3k+Uw_8T8uWzApJ3zVUXk_enyxnSAVAFw+ev=1KcA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-02-27  9:35               ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]                 ` <b07aeeba-daa9-4e7b-9120-66fd183de64c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-02-27  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks again Gergely, and again my fault for not giving all relevant
details. There are multiple contributors to the markdown files and that is
why running Pandoc locally is not the best solution. I want to generate the
HTML file whenever someone pushes a changed markdown file into the Github
repo.

I'm happy to build something that listens to Github webhooks, converts the
changed markdown file to html and pushes this back to Github. I'm currently
using Jekyll to do this locally, so I would probably do this in Ruby, e.g.
as a Sinatra app with a minimal API around the jekyll build command. But
before I embark on this I want to make sure someone hasn't done this
already.

Best,

Martin

Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 10:26:24 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:

> Well, that makes sense. Then another slightly off-topic idea: you could
> set up a pre-commit hook in your local git repository, so that it could
> convert your md files to HTML automatically before commiting the changes.
>
> I promise I won't bother you with any other alternate solution :)
>
> Best,
> Gergely
>

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Martin Fenner <m...-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Gergely,
>>
>> thank you for your answer, but I should have been clear that I need to
>> use Pandoc as markdown to HTML converter - I use citations (and some other
>> Pandoc-specific features).
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 09:25:53 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:
>>>
>>> Dear Martin,
>>>
>>> slightly off-topic, but if you are using GH pages, there is no real need
>>> to turn md to HTML as Jekyll does that.
>>> See e.g. or homepage at http://rapport-package.info/ and the sources at
>>> https://github.com/Rapporter/rapport/tree/gh-pages/_includes
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Gergely

>>>  --
>> .
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ffebb980-69e3-4ecb-adf2-c583274d6bd4%40googlegroups.com
>> .

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]                 ` <b07aeeba-daa9-4e7b-9120-66fd183de64c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-04  9:02                   ` Tim Lin
       [not found]                     ` <6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Tim Lin @ 2014-03-04  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Martin,

No solutions here but I do want to give you words of encouragement. I was
originally gonna suggest using a deploy web hook to your server to a
directory monitored by one of those node.js/grunt-based build systems<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Pandoc-Extras#wiki-workflow> running
in a cron job. However, I think a lightweight restful API standard would do
wonders for further markdown adoption in authoring.

I'm kinda facing similar problems myself recently (shoehorning pandoc into
a Drupal CMS), and things would certainly be easier if the markup filtering
could be done through a web service. It is certainly going to be the best
thing for online scholarly markdown authoring short of implementing
pandoc/citeproc in native JS or Ruby. If I don't have my hands full on
another project for the foreseeable future I'd certainly be looking at
writing something like this.

cheers,
Tim

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 01:35:20 UTC-8, Martin Fenner wrote:

> Thanks again Gergely, and again my fault for not giving all relevant
> details. There are multiple contributors to the markdown files and that is
> why running Pandoc locally is not the best solution. I want to generate the
> HTML file whenever someone pushes a changed markdown file into the Github
> repo.
>
> I'm happy to build something that listens to Github webhooks, converts the
> changed markdown file to html and pushes this back to Github. I'm currently
> using Jekyll to do this locally, so I would probably do this in Ruby, e.g.
> as a Sinatra app with a minimal API around the jekyll build command. But
> before I embark on this I want to make sure someone hasn't done this
> already.
>
> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 10:26:24 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:
>>
>> Well, that makes sense. Then another slightly off-topic idea: you could
>> set up a pre-commit hook in your local git repository, so that it could
>> convert your md files to HTML automatically before commiting the changes.
>>
>> I promise I won't bother you with any other alternate solution :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Gergely
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Martin Fenner <m...-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Gergely,
>>>
>>> thank you for your answer, but I should have been clear that I need to
>>> use Pandoc as markdown to HTML converter - I use citations (and some other
>>> Pandoc-specific features).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Martin

>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ffebb980-69e3-4ecb-adf2-c583274d6bd4%40googlegroups.com
>>> .

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]                     ` <6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-05 19:28                       ` Ted Neward
       [not found]                         ` <CF3CBAB7.40A41%ted.neward-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Ted Neward @ 2014-03-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Why not have the authors use a source control system (Subversion, Mercurial,
git, whatever), and trigger the pandoc on a CI server? This is similar to
what the Pragmatic Press authors do. O¹Reilly, too.

Ted Neward
Author, Speaker, Mentor
http://www.newardassociates.com
t: @tedneward | m: (425) 647-4526

From:  Tim Lin <timtylin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Date:  Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM
To:  <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject:  Re: Pandoc as webservice

Hi Martin,

No solutions here but I do want to give you words of encouragement. I was
originally gonna suggest using a deploy web hook to your server to a
directory monitored by one of those node.js/grunt-based build systems
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Pandoc-Extras#wiki-workflow>  running in
a cron job. However, I think a lightweight restful API standard would do
wonders for further markdown adoption in authoring.

I'm kinda facing similar problems myself recently (shoehorning pandoc into a
Drupal CMS), and things would certainly be easier if the markup filtering
could be done through a web service. It is certainly going to be the best
thing for online scholarly markdown authoring short of implementing
pandoc/citeproc in native JS or Ruby. If I don't have my hands full on
another project for the foreseeable future I'd certainly be looking at
writing something like this.

cheers,
Tim

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 01:35:20 UTC-8, Martin Fenner  wrote:
> Thanks again Gergely, and again my fault for not giving all relevant details.
> There are multiple contributors to the markdown files and that is why running
> Pandoc locally is not the best solution. I want to generate the HTML file
> whenever someone pushes a changed markdown file into the Github repo.
>
> I'm happy to build something that listens to Github webhooks, converts the
> changed markdown file to html and pushes this back to Github. I'm currently
> using Jekyll to do this locally, so I would probably do this in Ruby, e.g. as
> a Sinatra app with a minimal API around the jekyll build command. But before I
> embark on this I want to make sure someone hasn't done this already.
>
> Best,
>
> Martin
>
> Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 10:26:24 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:
>> Well, that makes sense. Then another slightly off-topic idea: you could set
>> up a pre-commit hook in your local git repository, so that it could convert
>> your md files to HTML automatically before commiting the changes.
>>
>> I promise I won't bother you with any other alternate solution :)
>>
>> Best,
>> Gergely
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Martin Fenner <m...-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Gergely,
>>>
>>> thank you for your answer, but I should have been clear that I need to use
>>> Pandoc as markdown to HTML converter - I use citations (and some other
>>> Pandoc-specific features).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Martin

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ffebb980-69e3-4ecb-adf2-c58
>>> 3274d6bd4%40googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-463
06150a1a5%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46
306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]                         ` <CF3CBAB7.40A41%ted.neward-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-05 21:52                           ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]                             ` <55292096-36D6-47AB-BB90-0046F4CFCEBA-+Z+QprJ1jbpwFuiNLMe2Ig@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-03-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ted, thanks a lot, this is a great idea and I see that other people have done something similar. One variation is to use something like Heroku instead of a CI server, e.g. with https://github.com/himynameisjonas/heroku-deployer/,. I will report back when I have this working.

Best, Martin

Am 05.03.2014 um 20:28 schrieb Ted Neward <ted.neward-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> Why not have the authors use a source control system (Subversion, Mercurial, git, whatever), and trigger the pandoc on a CI server? This is similar to what the Pragmatic Press authors do. O'Reilly, too.
>
> Ted Neward
> Author, Speaker, Mentor
> http://www.newardassociates.com
> t: @tedneward | m: (425) 647-4526
>

> From: Tim Lin <timtylin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> Date: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM
> To: <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
> Subject: Re: Pandoc as webservice
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> No solutions here but I do want to give you words of encouragement. I was originally gonna suggest using a deploy web hook to your server to a directory monitored by one of those node.js/grunt-based build systems running in a cron job. However, I think a lightweight restful API standard would do wonders for further markdown adoption in authoring.
>
> I'm kinda facing similar problems myself recently (shoehorning pandoc into a Drupal CMS), and things would certainly be easier if the markup filtering could be done through a web service. It is certainly going to be the best thing for online scholarly markdown authoring short of implementing pandoc/citeproc in native JS or Ruby. If I don't have my hands full on another project for the foreseeable future I'd certainly be looking at writing something like this.
>
> cheers,
> Tim
>
> On Thursday, 27 February 2014 01:35:20 UTC-8, Martin Fenner wrote:
>>
>> Thanks again Gergely, and again my fault for not giving all relevant details. There are multiple contributors to the markdown files and that is why running Pandoc locally is not the best solution. I want to generate the HTML file whenever someone pushes a changed markdown file into the Github repo.
>>
>> I'm happy to build something that listens to Github webhooks, converts the changed markdown file to html and pushes this back to Github. I'm currently using Jekyll to do this locally, so I would probably do this in Ruby, e.g. as a Sinatra app with a minimal API around the jekyll build command. But before I embark on this I want to make sure someone hasn't done this already.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> Am Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2014 10:26:24 UTC+1 schrieb daroczig:
>>>
>>> Well, that makes sense. Then another slightly off-topic idea: you could set up a pre-commit hook in your local git repository, so that it could convert your md files to HTML automatically before commiting the changes.
>>>
>>> I promise I won't bother you with any other alternate solution :)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Gergely

> --

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
@ 2014-03-09 10:54                               ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]                                 ` <7db17c74-3e26-4b3e-b3f6-3728848b28d8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-03-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have now written a solution to have the Travis CI continous integration
server run Jekyll with Pandoc when I push a change to a Github repo. This
works really well, only drawback is that Travis CI needs to do a "cabal
install pandoc pandoc-citeproc" every time. Still better than having this
running as a webservice all the time. Caching by Travis CI and a PPA for
Ubuntu 12.04 with the most recent Pandoc version would speed things
up. This also works for people who have other reasons to build Jekyll sites
themselves, e.g. custom plugins - a plain Jekyll site takes a little over a
min to build and push back to Github. Travis CI is free to use for Open
Source projects.

The project is described in more detail
at https://github.com/mfenner/jekyll-travis, it is basically a set of
instructions and some sample files. One example repo using this workflow
is https://github.com/openingscience/book. At this stage it is still a
hack, but I think this makes building static websites with the help of
Pandoc a little easier. We are for example using http://prose.io/ to make
small changes to the markdown in an online editor, and
Github/Travis/Jekyll/Pandoc can now automatically convert to HTML and
update the website of the book.

Best,

Martin

Am Mittwoch, 5. März 2014 22:52:45 UTC+1 schrieb Martin Fenner:

> [...]
>>> set up a pre-commit hook in your local git repository, so that it could
>>> convert your md files to HTML automatically before commiting the changes.
>>>
>>> I promise I won't bother you with any other alternate solution :)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Gergely

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CF3CBAB7.40A41%25ted.neward%40gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CF3CBAB7.40A41%25ted.neward%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
@ 2014-03-10  8:20                                   ` Tim Lin
       [not found]                                     ` <23b4fbaa-c9e7-48da-8458-599ab83a09bf-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Tim Lin @ 2014-03-10  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks a lot for the work Martin, this looks extremely useful. (And I'm
embarrassed to think that Travis CI can't build Pandoc in a timely fashion,
having seen that "The Travis CI build passed" notification in so many pull
requests, even if it does take 12 minutes or so).

On Sunday, 9 March 2014 03:54:05 UTC-7, Martin Fenner wrote:

> [...]
>>> command. But before I embark on this I want to make sure someone hasn't
>>> done this already.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Martin

>> --
>> .
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
>> --
>> .
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CF3CBAB7.40A41%25ted.neward%40gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CF3CBAB7.40A41%25ted.neward%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
@ 2014-03-10  8:31                                       ` Martin Fenner
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-03-10  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks Tim. Travis offers a Haskell platform, so that is a good start. I am
sure there are faster ways to install the latest stable Pandoc on Ubuntu
12.04 than with "cabal install pandoc pandoc-citeproc", so I hope this list
can give some recommendations. I would think a PPA would be great, and I
have also seen the download of a Pandoc 1.12.3 binary in another travis.yml
script: https://github.com/hadley/adv-r/blob/master/.travis.yml. I would be
happy if I can get down the build time to under 2-5 min, depending on the
number of documents. Without Pandoc - i.e. using Travis CI with Github
Pages and Jekyll very similar to what Github is doing - the build takes a
little bit over a minute for a small website.

Best, Martin

Am Montag, 10. März 2014 09:20:55 UTC+1 schrieb Tim Lin:

> [...]
>>> implementing pandoc/citeproc in native JS or Ruby. If I don't have my hands
>>> full on another project for the foreseeable future I'd certainly be looking
>>> at writing something like this.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Tim

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/6ea6f816-1245-4f50-9ee3-46306150a1a5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CF3CBAB7.40A41%25ted.neward%40gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CF3CBAB7.40A41%25ted.neward%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found] ` <f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-12  0:11   ` Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin
       [not found]     ` <28353427-c970-47c5-897b-f30902644e25-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin @ 2014-03-12  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

среда, 26 февраля 2014 г., 23:19:18 UTC-8 пользователь Martin Fenner
написал:

> Dear list,
>
> I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
> files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
> http://book.openingscience.org<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbook.openingscience.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHaeRx1tdPPdlE-LBFFwcxs8AnBGw>.
> I would like to do the same with a Pandoc webservice that ideally is
> triggered every time a markdown file changes or every 24 hours. I'm pretty
> sure someone has done this before. Can you provide some pointers and/or
> feedback?
>
> Have you seen http://www.docverter.com/api ?
For markdown->html, it's a sufficietly thin wrapper around pandoc.
Not sure how regularly it's updated, but currently has pandoc 1.12.0.2:
https://github.com/Docverter/docverter/blob/master/.vendor_urls

Travis still sounds like a more natural approach for reacting to commits
and converting many files.

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]     ` <28353427-c970-47c5-897b-f30902644e25-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-12  7:11       ` Martin Fenner
From: Martin Fenner @ 2014-03-12  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Dear list,

I have changed the Travis script to install a Pandoc binary (1.12.3, thanks
to Hadley Wickham and RStudio). Travis now takes less than 30 seconds to
build a VM with a recent Pandoc, so that the overall process of converting
markdown to HTML and pushing to Github Pages can be done in 2-5 minutes
(installing Ruby gems for Jekyll is now the slowest part). Example
.travis.yml at https://github.com/mfenner/jekyll-travis

Best, Martin

Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2014 01:11:46 UTC+1 schrieb Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin:

> среда, 26 февраля 2014 г., 23:19:18 UTC-8 пользователь Martin Fenner
> написал:
>>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
>> files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
>> http://book.openingscience.org<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbook.openingscience.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHaeRx1tdPPdlE-LBFFwcxs8AnBGw>.
>> I would like to do the same with a Pandoc webservice that ideally is
>> triggered every time a markdown file changes or every 24 hours. I'm pretty
>> sure someone has done this before. Can you provide some pointers and/or
>> feedback?
>>
>> Have you seen http://www.docverter.com/api ?
> For markdown->html, it's a sufficietly thin wrapper around pandoc.
> Not sure how regularly it's updated, but currently has pandoc 1.12.0.2:
> https://github.com/Docverter/docverter/blob/master/.vendor_urls
>
> Travis still sounds like a more natural approach for reacting to commits
> and converting many files.

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found] ` <f8e94a93-3328-4fbb-bc43-8814a41bd956-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-24 13:41   ` Demenchuk Dmitry
       [not found]     ` <cf658d72-c7ca-416f-b6a0-5fa52862156c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Demenchuk Dmitry @ 2015-06-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi guys!

I've wrapped Pandoc in a web service. Feel free to use it.
http://pandoc-as-a-service.com

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 07:19:18 UTC, Martin Fenner wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am currently using pandoc locally on my computer to convert md to html
> files to be hosted by Github Pages - for a book on Open Science hosted at
> http://book.openingscience.org. I would like to do the same with a Pandoc
> webservice that ideally is triggered every time a markdown file changes or
> every 24 hours. I'm pretty sure someone has done this before. Can you
> provide some pointers and/or feedback?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]     ` <cf658d72-c7ca-416f-b6a0-5fa52862156c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-24 17:21       ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]         ` <558AE726.8050109-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-06-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 06/24/2015 03:41 PM, Demenchuk Dmitry wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I've wrapped Pandoc in a web service. Feel free to use it.
> http://pandoc-as-a-service.com

Hi Dmitry,

I’m afraid that the server cannot be reached.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
       [not found]         ` <558AE726.8050109-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-24 17:32           ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2015-06-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

--As of June 24, 2015 7:21:42 PM +0200, Pablo Rodríguez is alleged to have
said:

> On 06/24/2015 03:41 PM, Demenchuk Dmitry wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I've wrapped Pandoc in a web service. Feel free to use it.
>> http://pandoc-as-a-service.com
>
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> I’m afraid that the server cannot be reached.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Works fine for me.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

* Re: Pandoc as webservice
@ 2015-06-24 17:55             ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]               ` <558AEF20.1090109-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2015-06-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 06/24/2015 07:32 PM, Daniel Staal wrote:
> --As of June 24, 2015 7:21:42 PM +0200, Pablo Rodríguez said:
>> On 06/24/2015 03:41 PM, Demenchuk Dmitry wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I've wrapped Pandoc in a web service. Feel free to use it.
>>> http://pandoc-as-a-service.com
>> [...]
>> I’m afraid that the server cannot be reached.
>
> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>
> Works fine for me.

Many thanks for the reply, Daniel,

Now it works fine for me.